Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Exclusive Digital Storm Cooling System
    Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 9:17pm
We’ve been burning the midnight oil here at Digital Storm building a monster piece of hardware, and you the Digital Storm faithful are getting an exclusive on this Top Secret project. We are experts at overclocking, we’ve done it since we started our business and overtime have accumulated so much knowledge we felt its about time we do some big time innovations to really push our overclocks higher. So, our R&D team has been building a brand new all internal cooling system that is currently undergoing testing before release, and the numbers we just pulled off are eye popping.

Check out the screen shot:

Quick Highlight – We are running a Intel Core i7 980X Six-Core with twelve threads at 4.7 GHz, with idle temps at 13 degrees Celsius, and under load at 56 degrees Celsius! Thats about twice the performance of our high-end Stage 6 Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop cooling system. This is a tremendous leap in performance and we cant wait to release this exclusive product to our customers.

Here's a few things as well about this new line:

1. All liquid cooling radiators are the new 140mm versions
2. We're using 45' angle compression fittings
3. We've done some heavy exclusive modifications to the number one selling Corsair 800D transforming it to an exclusive enthusiast's dream chassis.
4. Our new cooling system isn't phase change! There are no moving parts which means a very low, if not, zero failure rate.
5. The system self adjusts chassis fans based on temps providing a whisper quiet system during normal use, and fine-tuning airflow during intensive gaming or computational tasks.
6. And no, it's not just a beefed up liquid cooling system. Liquid cooling can only get as cool as the ambient (room temperature) as it uses the air around it to cool the system.
McStrav View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 9:31pm
Well done Alex, that's absoloutly mindblowing!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 9:47pm
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 12:40am
Dude, Im making more room in my budget..I really like those numbers!!!  Awesome
Will the Video card cooling be benefiting from this secret technology as well?

Edited by MagiK - 18 Sep 2010 at 12:50am
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 1:33am
1 question:
is the breakthrough an innovative breakthrough, or a logical breakthrough...? as in, didja guys completely create something mindblowing no-one's ever done before, or, didja just manage to out-do everyone else in this specific department of watercooling?
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Beezie View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 4:51am
i cant wait to see more information and pictures!
al3xLJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 8:24am
awesome! can't wait!
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 11:13am
That is very impressive! My next question is, how practical is this as far as pricing goes? Are we talking a massive $500+ cooling system here? I'm glad to see that DS's R&D team has been hard at work, lets just hope it applies to everyday use and something the majority of the folks can afford especially in this economy Drooling
Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.6
240GB Samsung SSD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Hybrid
Corsair Hydro H80i GT
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 11:20am
Yeah.. that's pretty much my potential beef with it.

Does it sound cool? Certainly, I'm intrigued to see what kind of setup they're doing. Will it have an acceptable value and be the first cooling solution besides air cooling that I could actually recommend? We'll see, but I'm not getting my hopes up. =\
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 11:34am
The Signature build is as stated a HIGH END, and logically High Budget build.  Im sure that over time with the way things work, the technologies and innovations will trickle down to the lower budget crowd.  But in the end, as a business DSO needs to cater to both high end, high budget markets and the low end low budget markets to be competitive.  There is no shortage of budget builds available, it is time for more high end options....In my opinion. ..which is of course biased. Hahaha
Manbearpig View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 12:18pm
piezoelectric cooling?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 12:19pm
that screen shot can't be true, it is impossible to run 4.7Ghz on 1.1 V core.  and HW says 68C for temps.

[Sorry I accidentally clicked 'Edit' - Alex ]

Edited by Alex - 18 Sep 2010 at 2:35pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by MagiK

The Signature build is as stated a HIGH END, and logically High Budget build.  Im sure that over time with the way things work, the technologies and innovations will trickle down to the lower budget crowd.  But in the end, as a business DSO needs to cater to both high end, high budget markets and the low end low budget markets to be competitive.  There is no shortage of budget builds available, it is time for more high end options....In my opinion. ..which is of course biased. Hahaha

I didn't say anything about it being a budget option, just a value option.

I can't recommend their current liquid cooling options to anyone, regardless of their budget, it just does not offer enough cooling for the price.
Lilim
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 1:07pm
You have a blind spot Dragoon.  Value  is relative, what you think is worth x number of dollars is not what I consider worth x number of dollars.

Im not saying you are wrong per se but VALUE is a subjective thing.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 1:13pm
Why do you insist on trying to debate something so subjective with me?

You are welcome to your liquid cooling, all I'm saying is that I hope the new cooling option they're introducing will have a better performance/price value.

Is that such a horrid thing to ask for?
Lilim
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 1:19pm
Umm I didnt view it as a debate, but more a free exchange of ideas. I didnt mean to irritate you.  And of course I agree that if they get better performance per price that is great.  Bang per Buck as it were, is always a laudable goal...but the buck isnt always the be all end all determinant....

[Sorry, I had to remove that link, we're a business after all and we can't have links going to products our competitors offer - Alex ]

Edited by Alex - 18 Sep 2010 at 2:26pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:30pm
This isn't something that is going to be a 'value' item unfortunately. To produce these results, the component costs add up. This is for an ultra line of Black|Ops systems.

What we have done isn't revolutionary, or new. It's exclusive because no other system builder currently sells a product with this type of system that's been built from the ground in part by part by themselves. We're making it from the individual components, fabricating the circuit board, and programming the entire control system.

The system could also go below 0'C under the right conditions, but, we're programming it not to because we don't want to have condensation form around the CPU socket area.

In addition, we'll be offering it both as an entire system, or, the customer can opt out to just purchase the chassis with the cooling system so they can build their own system.

Edited by Alex - 18 Sep 2010 at 2:31pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by justin.kerr

that screen shot can't be true, it is impossible to run 4.7Ghz on 1.1 V core.  and HW says 68C for temps.

That reading is wrong. It's probably an older version of HW Monitor, we're using the new EVGA X58 SLI 3 motherboard.

The CPU VCore was I believe at 1.50 - 1.55v or so.

The CPU temp readings are correct which were verified with an external temp probe, and the motherboard's onboard LED module which shows CPU temp.

Edited by Alex - 18 Sep 2010 at 2:34pm
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:40pm
realtemp will show much more accurate temps.

keep in mind that the dew point will vary so much. some people will have their PC's in super hot, super humid rooms, so condensation will occur very easily.

it must be a TEC cooler of some type, very intersting, the load temps are about the same as my drunken monkeys setup, so very exciting to see the results, and production pics!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:42pm
Thanks Justin as always. We'll have to keep that in mind.

We'll do additional testing once we have it inside a chassis and we'll definitely use 'Realtemp' and an updated version of HW Monitor. We we're so excited about the results on Friday we just had to show you guys with a sneak peak.

Edited by Alex - 18 Sep 2010 at 2:42pm
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 2:49pm
@ Alex,

Any idea on when this new innovation will be available to your customers? Perhaps just in time for the holidays!?!
240GB Samsung SSD
Corsair Hydro H80i GT
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 3:23pm
Within 2-3 weeks.
McStrav View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 4:16pm
WooHoo I`ve been Stage 8 since August here Alex!
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 4:30pm
Alex, sorry bout the link...Didn't consider it an actual threat as it was so obviously over the top  Cool crazy cray people do strange things.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 5:32pm
No worries bud! I agree!
neilkaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 5:33pm

We are in complete agreement and it is really nice to see my favorite computer company doing this. I look forward to seeing more details and certainly know where my next high end system will be coming from since I can use all the CPU power I can get.
HAF932
i7-980X at 4.34 Ghz HT 24/7
GTX 275
6 MB STT DDR3 at 1628 MHz
Stage 4 cooling
neilkaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Alex

Originally posted by justin.kerr

That reading is wrong. It's probably an older version of HW Monitor, we're using the new EVGA X58 SLI 3 motherboard.

The CPU VCore was I believe at 1.50 - 1.55v or so.

The CPU temp readings are correct which were verified with an external temp probe, and the motherboard's onboard LED module which shows CPU temp.
@Alex and other experts. Your temps are superb and not close to too hot and I look forward to seeing RealTemp once it is in the case. Yeah I'd expect 1.5 to 1.55 Vcore for guaranteed 24/7 stability at 4.7GHz.

I've read elsewhere that high voltages like this can be quite harmful to the 980X noting is it 32 nm rather than 45 nm. I've also read that it is basically only heat that kills OC'd chips, including the 980X so what you're doing is safe. I do recall DST4ME's V-Core for his awesome 980X MegaComp was 1.49 V and he was planning to fold 24/7.

I ask about a voltage maximum noting I am running 24/7 4.41Ghz at 1.425 V with max temps in the low 70's and wondering if I can tap V-core a bit higher for a little more speed when I redo my OC.

Thx and the DS team should be really proud .. neilkaz ..
HAF932
i7-980X at 4.34 Ghz HT 24/7
GTX 275
6 MB STT DDR3 at 1628 MHz
Stage 4 cooling
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 1:34am
ahh, so it just kills the competitors in logic. awesome, so it's involving microprocessor controllers? if it's doing that, technically though, couldn't you add some temp/humidity sensors and install a logic to calculate the dew point and set it as a type of temp limiting factor?

oh, and technically, from the looks of it right now... you guys DID do something nice and revolutionary...If that system is able to hit potential sub-zero temps, that means you have some form of cooling method in there. And you mentioned radiators and compression fittings. So that means. You guys have seriously just created the world's first Liquid COOLING system, not Liquid Heat Exchange system! Liquid Heat Exchange is referring to common "Liquid Cooling", where really it's just exchanging heat through air. Maximum low temp is based on ambient air temps. The only way to get to sub-zero is by adding actual cooling of the coolant media, which usually meant direct peltiers, or nitrogen. I really haven't seen any way of actually combining the two until now, dunno if any of you have, but I haven't, heh.

Annd I just reread that first post. Hmm. Lemme make a quick assumption here on what the heck you guys whipped up...You mentioned no moving parts. However, you mentioned radiators and a controller system. Voltage-moderated Peltier/Radiator mashup?

Edited by ablahblah - 19 Sep 2010 at 1:40am
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by ablahblah

ahh, so it just kills the competitors in logic. awesome, so it's involving microprocessor controllers? if it's doing that, technically though, couldn't you add some temp/humidity sensors and install a logic to calculate the dew point and set it as a type of temp limiting factor?

Correct! We're mounting an LCD screen on the front of the system showing the fluid temperature, etc... We're installing temperature sensors that will be directly in contact with the fluid.

oh, and technically, from the looks of it right now... you guys DID do something nice and revolutionary...If that system is able to hit potential sub-zero temps, that means you have some form of cooling method in there. And you mentioned radiators and compression fittings. So that means. You guys have seriously just created the world's first Liquid COOLING system, not Liquid Heat Exchange system! Liquid Heat Exchange is referring to common "Liquid Cooling", where really it's just exchanging heat through air. Maximum low temp is based on ambient air temps. The only way to get to sub-zero is by adding actual cooling of the coolant media, which usually meant direct peltiers, or nitrogen. I really haven't seen any way of actually combining the two until now, dunno if any of you have, but I haven't, heh.Annd I just reread that first post.

You're right!

Hmm. Lemme make a quick assumption here on what the heck you guys whipped up...You mentioned no moving parts. However, you mentioned radiators and a controller system. Voltage-moderated Peltier/Radiator mashup?

Only time will tell.
Benson729 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:47pm
Will this cooling option only be available in blackOps cases? I personally prefer the looks of the HAF 932. Also what was the ambient temp in the room when those tests were done?
MagiK View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 4:58pm
Alex mentioned on one of his previous posts that this system was being desgined for a modified 800D case aka Hailstorm case in order to fit 2x triple 140mm radiators internally to the case.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:43pm
Only Black|Ops. It will be in two new models we will be adding to the table. One will be a exclusively modded chassis of one of our Black|Ops systems and another will be an addition.

Edited by Alex - 19 Sep 2010 at 9:44pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:43pm

Alex mentioned on one of his previous posts that this system was being desgined for a modified 800D case aka Hailstorm case in order to fit 2x triple 140mm radiators internally to the case.

Actually one triple 140mm and one dual 140mm.
al3xLJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 2:47am
ETA Alex?
Sneakerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 4:52am
On the first page if you read all the posts Alex mentioned availability will be in 2-3 weeks Drooling
240GB Samsung SSD
Corsair Hydro H80i GT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>