FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fans and Noise

Post Date: 2017-05-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FX View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fans and Noise
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 6:58pm
I'm preparing to pull the trigger on my first Apollo and have a question about the fans and cooling.

I understand performance machines require extra cooling, but I don't want the machine to be extremely loud as I would find that distracting.

I noticed there is a "Noise Reduction" option.  Has anyone purchased that option?  Did it make a difference?

Would a liquid cooled system replace the fans and noise entirely?  Do liquid cooling systems require a lot of maintenance?

Thanks for any advice!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:16am
Don't know about the "Noise Reduction" but the liquid cooling is quieter although it also has fans. Depending on what lc you go with it might require some maintenance. The "All-In-One" (AIO) require none since they are sealed and the open loop requiring the most (Hydrolux Pro), filling and if unlucky, leaks.

Some other members might give you more detailed explanations. The Apollo is a very popular model with all its possible combinations.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2017 at 2:34am
The DS Vortex and the Corsair coolers are zero maintenance and less likely to have issues. The Lite and Pro selections do require some maintenance down the road.

The stage 1 Noise Reduction adjusts the fan speeds for less noise . You can do it yourself with Bios or software most motherboards have, or have DS do it if you don't want to be bothered.

The stage 2 isn't needed since there's no place to install sound deadening material.

FX View Drop Down

Quote FX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:53am
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Does anyone have any insight into how loud the fans are in general?

I have an Alienware Aurora from 2012 now and the fan is constantly spinning up and is very loud.  I don't want to have a loud machine in a home office.

Thanks again.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:18am
The AF140L fans in the Apollo 760T case are typically about 32dba noise level at idle and 37dba + in performance mode from specs I've seen.   

For the gtx 1070 FE card, you're looking at mid 40's or higher under load, the graphics card being, usually, the noisiest part of a gaming rig.  

A lot depends on the video card you select.  The custom Asus, Msi multi fan cards have zero rpm until temps hit the 60's C then they turn on.   My MSI gtx 970 with zero rpm fans,  , even after the fans kick on in gaming, are quiet.   Not so for the single fan reference cards.

Bottom line, you will hear the fans.   My 600T case, predecessor to the Apollo 760t, makes a soft but steady sound that I don't find annoying, but everyone has a different tolerance. 

You will hear the fans.   It is a gaming rig. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 31 May 2017 at 11:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply