FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fans with zero noise

Post Date: 2016-02-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jackbnimble View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jackbnimble Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fans with zero noise
    Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 4:52pm

Just wondering, Is it safe to have the fans all the way down with zero noise? I would not want to damage my system. ThanksOops Also is there any safety feature that would keep the components from every getting to hot when fans are turned down?

moved question to new thread

Edited by Snaike - 26 Feb 2016 at 10:45pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 10:47pm
Yes, they're called HWMONITOR, SPECCY, REALTEMP, etc

These are temperature monitoring programs that allow to you see how hot your machine is running.

If you've turned your fans all the way down, or off, you need to be acutely aware of how hot your machine is getting.

Remember, when it comes to electronics in general and computers specifically: Heat Kills.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 12:20am
pretty much these days the cpu and graphics will throttle themselves down when they get too hot.  however, a spike due to adding too much voltage during oc'ing or an electrical surge can cause damage.  also, a bad mobo that doesn't regulate the power delivery appropriately can hurt your other components.  bottom line is that you can and will damage your components if you don't monitor your temps, clean your pc, and provide adequate cooling. 

as long as you have adequate cooling, and the more you have the more you can afford to run your fans at lower rpm = less noise.  i've got 13x140mm fans and 2x120mm total in my rig, with 3 rads and a pump.  if i don't need the performance while the system is under heavy load (like while bench marking/testing) i run my fans at the lowest speed, which is probably at the 5-volt setting.  it's extremely quiet and cool because i have so many fans and rads cooling my components in a custom water loop.  even under extreme performance i don't need to run my fans at anywhere near 100% or 12-volts.  i would say it's very common for most users running moderately taxing games under load to need to run their fans on the 7 or 12-volts settings.  that can be fairly noisy depending on how sensitive you are to it. 

make sure you have static pressure fans (fewer but wider blades) mounted to radiators and in places inside the computer where air has to penetrate through clutter/obstacles.  air series fans (more but thinner blades) are fine for exhaust and areas of the interior where there are no obstructions (i.e. side fans).  consider using static pressure fans as intake fans if you have hard drive cages/drives/etc. to blow air through.  consider using larger fans with lower rpm over smaller/higher rpm fans.  

some ppl like to leave their comps on 24/7, i don't leave mine on for a couple of reasons: 1) i like to monitor temps/performance at all times for safety; 2) save on my electricity bill; 3) security

Edited by db188 - 27 Feb 2016 at 12:36am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply