Firewire PCI Card Installation Help

Post Date: 2011-05-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Firewire PCI Card Installation Help
    Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:37pm
I recently salvaged a dual Firewire PCI card from an old Dell Dimension 4500S, and I was wondering if I could fit it into my Digital Storm computer.

I have an EVGA XLE motherboard, and I noticed several extra slots on the mobo, but I've never installed a PCI slot before, so I'm not sure if it will fit into any of them or not.

The good news is that there are plenty of expansion bays for the slots of course, so that isn't a problem either.

I also noticed that the motherboard does have a Firewire port available on the back, it just simply isn't installed yet. I think DS didn't install the Firewire that came with the mobo because they wanted to give me more USB slots, but that won't be an issue, because the Firewire connector that was included with my comp also has two USB ports attached to it, so I wouldn't lose much. I'm just not sure how I would do that in the event that the PCI card won't work.

It seems that the connector for this Firewire is located behind the cooling fan, so I don't know if I'd have to remove that first in order to access the Firewire pin on the motherboard and install the connector.

Anyway, that's what I've discovered so far. What do you guys think? Is there a way to install the PCI Firewire card, or should I use the Firewire connector that came with the comp in case I can't? If so, how would I install it?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:45pm
ok well for the pci card instalation is simple just put it in the slot till u hear a click. If you notice there are groves in each pci slot and the card. you have to find a slot that matches the card. if you find one and put it in great. just unscrew the io shield behind the pci slot.
If i have learned anything building my computer its that motherboards are a pain in the ass! lol so many small parts and  big parts blocking them. but if you can get around the heatsink than plug it in if you can. I cut myself on my heatsink 4 times building my computer lol  but taking off the heatsinnk isn't generally a good idea because you would have to reapply thermal paste and its a big pain. don't know why that isn't connected in the first place but the card should do if you have a small slot open for it.
Steam:pcmaster160
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:15pm
As a PCI card, the card should create its own 1394 link and not require the current 1394 header. PCI is also a form factor standard, so it should slip in with no problems. Just drop it in, boot up, let Windows find drivers, and go.

Also,  isn't the 1394 header set normally supposed to sit next to the USB header set(s)?

Edited by ablahblah - 11 May 2011 at 10:15pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2011 at 3:02pm
Well fellas, I've been mucking about with the PCI Firewire,  and here is what I've discovered:

1.) It is a Firewire 400 slot, and the two headers I have on the motherboard are for 1394a, which is Firewire 400 as well.
2.) The PCI card will fit into my PCI slot, but unfortunately, I have to disconnect the front audio jacks for it to fit. The card simply
wedges up against the wires and will not fit into the slot, as shown in this pic:

So I face the choice of using the two Firewire ports on the card, and losing my front audio (which isn't a big deal, because I have no less than six audio jacks on the back of the comp) or I get a smaller PCI card that won't interfere with the audio header.

Since I didn't want to lose the audio, I decided to install the connector that came with my comp, but which DS didn't install. Since that is also 1394a, it fit perfectly into the header, which was located next to the USB headers, as you predicted, Ablahblah. Unfortunately, the rear panel Firewire that I installed also included two USB connectors. I couldn't connect them,because all of my USB headers are occupied.

Besides the eight USB ports that I have on the back of the comp, I have two USB headers next to the 1394a headers. The first one is used by my five-in-one card reader (which also includes a single USB port) and the second is used by two USB ports on the front panel. Since I have a CM Storm Scout chassis, there are actually four USB ports on the front, but DS had to disconnect two of them to fit the card reader in. I haven't found the connector for the two disconnected USB ports, but I want to, in case I decide to use them instead of the card reader.

One final note worth mentioning was that the I/O shield that includes the 8 USB ports on the back panel also included a eSata and 1394 port, but the actual ports aren't installed, as noted earlier in my picture of the shield. Is that because not all  motherboards are designed to match up with certain I/O shields such as mine, or would I have to  somehow attach an eSata and 1394 port myself, such as through soldering it onto the mobo?

Edited by Diogones - 15 May 2011 at 5:03pm
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
 Post Reply Post Reply