Post Date: 2016-08-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AquaFalling View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AquaFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First Digital Storm PC
    Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:57pm
Hello, just looking for opinions wanting to make sure this system would work for what I plan to use it for or if some parts should be switched out to make it better for around the same price or lower.

Budget:
About: $3,000 give or take.

Expectations:
I'd like longevity and performance for gaming, and a quiet PC.

Usage:
Gaming mostly with A.R.K Survival Evolved, some FPS games and Start Citizen. Running the games in 1080p with a 60 Hz refresh rate (. With a browser open, talking on a Skype call with two screens being displayed and a few background programs like WhatPulse.

Special Needs:
The Power supply cannot have the cables built in since if it ever fails I don't want to re-wire the whole system.

Saved Ticket #: 1481467

I would also like to know if the Corsair Carbide Quiet 400Q is interchangeable with the Corsair Carbide 400C Case because I like how the 400Q/C case hides the power supply but I want to see all the cool components and colors with the Window which is why I went with the Apollo for the Configuration.

Thank you!

Edited by AquaFalling - 30 Aug 2016 at 11:06pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 12:11am
You need to chose one over the other, to have both you need to spend more money on custom parts to make things truly quiet. So you need to pick which is more important, performance or noise. the cases at best cut maybe 5dba off the top, but your fans are gonna be loud under full load to combat the heat. I can tell you right now the config you have will produce lot of heat/noise.

Edited by DST4ME - 31 Aug 2016 at 12:11am

Quote AquaFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 7:18am
That is good to know, so if I went with performance over noise what should I change?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 7:32am
The 1070 gtx is too much for 1080p, I would go with a 1060 gtx but I leave that up to you:

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

EdgeCrusher View Drop Down

Quote EdgeCrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 9:08am
Don't buy a 1060. It's bad advice. Always get the best video card you can afford. You are getting it for games that haven't come out yet and for years to come not just the games you play now. It's much more worth the extra cash now then buying a whole new card earlier then you needed to because its starts chugging.

Always buy the best video card you can afford. They also have the most effect on gaming then any other component. And the tech is constantly improving. Trust me.

Also there is no automatic reason why that computer would be as loud as dst4me makes it out to be. In fact more fans can actually be quieter as they can run at lower speeds. More fans at lower speeds is less noise then less fans running max all the time.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 10:02am
I personally wouldn't recommend less than a gtx 1070 for even a 1080p monitor, unless one is on a real tight budget.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1771?vs=1731

There are games at 1080p that drop into the 40's fps with a 1060 that the 1070 would give you that extra edge, especially as games get more demanding. 

The 1060 is comparable, maybe a little better,  to my 970, which plays most games all maxed out, but Hairworks with Witcher 3 drops the fps into the 40's as one example.    Haven't tried some of the others with the lower frames.

1060 is a great card but the 1070, if in the budget,  gives you more.
Big%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 11:43am
bp he is playing games like A.R.K at 1080 with a 60Hz monitor. you sure he needs a 1070? I think hairworks will drop fps with just about anything. Most of the benches I have seen you get 60fps with 1060, you are right in some parts of some games fps will drop but in witcher for example I have seen people with 1080 say with hairworks it still drops like crazy. But If you think 1070 is best I trust your judgment just keep in mind its a 60Hz monitor at 1080p.

@AquaFalling its upto you who you listen to but I would do some reading around myself before I listen to anybody. I would agree with bp I consider him a creditable guy.

But for others, you decide what you want to do. I can only stand behind my advise. Before you take anybody's advise on fans or witch gpu, I highly suggest you understand yourself properly how fans cpu/gpu coolling works, so do some reading and then based on the facts make a decision, I'm 100% confident that when you understand how things work you will arrive at the same conclusion that I shared with you.

Edited by DST4ME - 31 Aug 2016 at 12:11pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 12:23pm
DST,,, yeah I don't know that game, so a 1060 for that might be great.   I guess if someone buys a gaming rig for a particular game or two with no future plans in a year or two, then buy for your needs right now.   I can't play the same game for months on end , so can't relate.

My 970 still rocks on my 1080p at 60hz, except that darn Hairworks.   A 1060 for me, if I still had my 570, would do it, but still like the added headroom, just in case.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 12:25pm
Ya a 1060 for you is pretty much like the 970. But we always tell people you need to upgrade gpu in 2 to 3 years and your 2 to 3 years is not up yet, I would upgrade next year or so if I were you, what do you think?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 12:34pm
My next upgrade is a 1440p, so a 1070 for sure.   Maybe in a year or two like you said.   Right now I'm good, unless I get ansy for a different monitor.    But, yep, a new card every 3 years works for most.   CPU is a 5 year thing. So I'm due there also....2500k at 4.2.    

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 1:28pm
Isn't db running a 1440p with a 980?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 1:56pm
I think db has sli 980.

Just looked him up.....sli 980ti Strix.   

Edited by bprat22 - 31 Aug 2016 at 1:57pm

Quote AquaFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 2:26pm
Glad I made a post instead of just buying it! You are all very helpful.

If I didn't want maintenance with the Liquid Cooling system should I just do a Closed loop on the CPU and then Air cool the GPU?

Thank you!

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 2:36pm
Well you are not going to get the performance of hydrolux lite from a closed loop, if you gonna go closed loop I would go noctua instead. I put you in the hydrolux lite as to get rid of gpu fan noise which is going to be 90% of your noise.

While I went with performance first, quiet was still second, so I gave you the best performing pc I could for your needs while trying to give the most quiet version of it I can here.

Edited by DST4ME - 31 Aug 2016 at 2:38pm

Quote AquaFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 3:17am
Hello, just wanting to double check with pro's opinions before I hit buy, since I am a little nervous.

Recently just got a small bonus which I am putting into my computer, upped my budget a little bit (also getting a better keyboard).

The system is basically the build that DST built for me I just wanted to add some cosmetic changes.

Code: 1483171

I did go with the 1070 just to be on the safe side and it fit in my budget.

Getting closer to having my own Digital Storm PC!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 3:31am
AwesomeIt will look good with red. You don't know nervous until you hit order and the torture of the stages begins.Wink
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 4:12am
That build looks great however I would go with the upgraded non led fans since the system already has internal lighting also the led fans are a bit louder.

I would also change the lighting to the remote control one, since its awesome and you can control the lights and their color so if you want to set it to red you can but you can also change your mind and set it to something else.

don't oc the gpu, it already has more power than you need, no reason to put it under more stress when we already have more than enough. more stress more heat and all for noting.

more info for you:

Bit of info:

1. Do not install Mcafee , instead get a lighter better anti virus like ESET ( number 3 on the list ) Or any other good light Anti Virus will do.

2. With extra fans request that DS changes all case fans and connects all your fans to the mobo so you can control them via free software. This way we can control the fans without needing anything else (aka fan controller and etc).

3. The warranty here is 3 year labor and 1 year parts so if you want higher part warranty be sure to raise the warranty level to the desired level.

don't forget the hydrolux lite needs some maintaining and if things go wrong you will need to work on it or send it in and be without it for 3 weeks. IF you are ok with that then hydrolux lite is a great first step into the world of LC. (keep in mind real lc performance does not begin till you get to pro). Hydrolux lite is a much better aio then the other ones, I suspect you won't have too much trouble with it at all if any.

Edited by DST4ME - 03 Sep 2016 at 4:14am

Quote AquaFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 4:41am
Ok, So I changed a few things, since I trust DST.

I can go to the Pro version of Hydrolux if I wait a bit to upgrade my keyboard and take out the colored sleeved cables, downgrade the mobo a bit. Then just to pick a neutral color for the liquid for aesthetics so that it would look good no matter what lighting, since I like the idea of picking my own color.

Quick questions, do the default cables come in black?

Would I be able to change the red ring around Corsair Airflow Performance Fan to white? which I think is the fan DST is talking about.

Edit: Just went to Corsair's Site
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-af120-performance-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan
and the fans come with Red, White or Blue Rings so maybe I can get it in white will have to ask Digital Storm :)

Thanks again!

Edited by AquaFalling - 03 Sep 2016 at 4:53am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 4:54am
For the fans ask DS to be sure, and when you get the answer let us know so we can pass that along to others when needed, besides I like to know the answer to that questions myself.

I was just giving you info about LC not recommending that you go to lc pro. you dont' even need lite. noctua will give you more then you need, never sacrifice other parts for cooling, its not needed. Only reason I put you on the hydrolux lite was to quiet down the gpu. if it was not for noise I would put you in the noctua, since its a great quiet cpu cooler but it only does the cpu of course, and it would not help me quiet down the gpu.

So go back to the last build you had just make the changes I mentioned with lights and remove the oc on gpu. Stick with hydrolux lite.

shop around for your keyboard and etc and see if you get prices at amazon or newegg for example.

Edited by DST4ME - 03 Sep 2016 at 4:56am

Quote AquaFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 5:08am
But now I want the PRO haha, awesome quick disconnects, Bigger res, a high-flow pump with the best components.

How long would the Hydrolux PRO last you think? though 3 or so GPUs? (at 3 years per GPU) and maybe another CPU? (assuming 5 years) if so it would be worth it, as, long as I maintain it, with flushing the fluid every year. I'll probably call DS about this too.

I'll be sure to ask DS about the fans coloring and see if they can connect them to the mobo.

So here is the probably final build - I am going a bit over budget, but I think its totally worth it.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 5:11am
Pro can last a long time you just need to maintain it, but if you sacrifice mobo and etc for it you are making a mistake.

Also keep in mind if you have to send the pc in you will be without it for 3 weeks to a month.

ok that build looks good

You most likely won't be able to upgrade the cpu, it would be gpu, and that will need a new gpu, waterblock, and then you have to put the block on teh gpu and then add it to the loop.

Edited by DST4ME - 03 Sep 2016 at 5:12am

Quote AquaFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 5:23am
I just moved the mobo down because I wanted the white to match (also gives a price drop), and previously upgraded it to match the red scheme I had before but both mobo's are really good and an improvement over the ASUS PRO GAMING Z170 so I don't see it as a downgrade.

I'm fine with paying the shipping and being without a PC for a few weeks, every so often, doing the little bit of maintnance for the boost in performance and the extra features.

Now just gotta wait for Tuesday (unless they are open Labor Day) to call DS ask about the fans.

DST you are awesome, and thank you for everybody's help on this forum! I imagine I will be very happy with this PC and I'll be sure to make a review :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 5:26am
I was just saying in general its not good idea to lower mobo and etc, not saying your mobo selection was lower

My pleasure and good luck You have anymore questions let us know

email Alex and see if you can get answer sooner:

[email protected]

Edited by DST4ME - 03 Sep 2016 at 5:27am

Quote AquaFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 5:58am
Email sent! and I realized...if you look at the "more info" of the Corsair Airflow Performance Fans it tells you the package contents and that it comes with the Red, Blue and White colors Should of looked before I asked... Oh well.

Now like everybody else I play the waiting game, full of anticipation, nervousness, and excitement. Defiantly going to be using all the good luck I can get.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 6:00am
Aha I never saw/looked at that

There you go then

Good luck Boss

Edited by DST4ME - 03 Sep 2016 at 6:01am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 4:19pm
AwesomeGood luck and remember PICS.Awesome

Quote AquaFalling Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 6:38pm
PICS!
 Post Reply Post Reply