Post Date: 2016-08-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First PC Config (HELP)
    Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:18pm
Budget:
$1800-$2300

Expectations:
To play most games on Ultra(Arma, Cities Skylines, VR, etc.)

Usage:
Average computer time

Saved Ticket #: 1471258

Specifications:
Run games smoothly and on high fps(1080p), and it must be QUIET!

Hopefully someone on this forum with experience could check my computer rig and tell me if it is good. If you have a better computer rig setup, please tell me. I would greatly appreciate it!

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:38pm
Its not gonna be quiet, your main noise is your gpu and for it to be quiet it needs to be on lc which will blow the budget away.

Your build has conflicts, you are adding fans and noise package they are conflicting.

forget the noise unless you want to waste money or go lc.

here is a more powerful config for less:

Ticket Number: 1471623
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:42pm
Pardon me, I am new to this. 3 Questions:

1. Why do you think that this config is better than the one that I created?

2. How loud from your experience do you think it will be?

3. Will it run games like Arma 3 on Ultra?

Thanks for the help
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:46pm
1. well it does not have conflicting parts. I has a higher cpu which run much faster, which will oc better, which then means it runs even faster with the oc, needless to say its not even a comparison, but in gaming they should do about the same the 6700k will do better tho and less bottle neck.

I have a brand name ssd which we know its perfomrance and warranty.

2. your loudest part is the little fan on the gpu, it gets loud, only way to quiet that down is to put it on lc.

3. I have not seen the 1060 not be able to handle any game at 1080p, plus if you ever need a little more power you can oc it yourself, just don't kill your airflow with noise package that slows down fans and traps air in.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Aug 2016 at 4:47pm
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 4:52pm
Thanks for the response! Two more questions though since I'm very new to computer configuration.

1. What do you mean by put the fan on lc. And do you think standard factory is enough?

2. What are the conflicting parts? The cpus and gpus are the same. How is it then more powerful than my previous config.

Thanks for all your help.
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 5:06pm
Just in case you read my stupid response, I realize now that your cpu is higher than the original one. Also, adding a fan will make it louder, thus conflicting. I truly appreciate all the help that you gave me.

The only two things that I'm wondering about now is whether your config is adequate to keep the PC cool, unless (High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes) does that. And, do you see 1 TB necessary? You took that out.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 6:00pm
for what it's worth: my son's running graphically maxed out@1080p in games like Arma 3, Miscreated, etc. on an [email protected]/GTX 1060/16GB DDR3 1600 memory/Noctua D14. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 6:03pm
Thanks for the response. Could you possibly answer a few questions about 1471623

1. Is standard factory chassis fans adequate?

2. How good is the "High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes" at keeping the PC cool?

3. Is 1 TB HDD absolutely necessary and if so is it enough?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 6:27pm
That build is much better then your original.

1. That particular case fits few more fans then it comes with:

but yes its cooling is good but it would be much better with the fan on top added.

2. it is but under load it will get loud.

3. for 1tb you want to go with western digital black or enterprise edition for reliability and warranty. What size is enough? that depends on how much stuff you got to put on there.

We can lower the cpu if you like to save money just keep in mind the whole system's speed will be lower but you won't notice it in games.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Aug 2016 at 6:28pm
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 6:55pm
I can't thank you enough! Also, for #2, are you referring to the High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes?

BTW, do you work for DS? You're very knowledgeable.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Batman34

Thanks for the response. Could you possibly answer a few questions about 1471623

1. Is standard factory chassis fans adequate? probably for most people, but depends on your ambient temps (do you live in a hot/humid region?) and how hard you push your system.  if the pc will be on all day/gaming all day or long periods of time/if the system is oc'd/etc. you might want to add some fans or get higher performing fans.  it's really hard for me to make a general recommendation here for all people.   in general, 2 large (120mm or 140mm) front intake and 1 large rear exhaust are all you need.

2. How good is the "High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes" at keeping the PC cool? that's a Zalman low profile unit that DS, imo, uses in the Vanquish budget line because it's cheap and not as large as the better air coolers.  the Noctua D15 they sell in other cases/lines is by far the better choice, but it's one of the biggest coolers on the market and would struggle to fit inside the Vanquish (Corsair 230t) case.  i would say this Zalman is safe to use with processors at stock values or very minimally oc'd. 

3. Is 1 TB HDD absolutely necessary and if so is it enough?
game files are going to use a lot of space, so this really depends on how many games and other programs you intend to have on the drive.   i usually advise people to use a ssd for the OS+games they currently play and store everything else on a larger/cheaper secondary drive.  

if you want to go with the Vanquish budget line, you can select the level 5, which comes with a 120mm AIO LC unit for the cpu and is miles better than the Zalman air cooler.  you can configure most of the other components beside the psu i believe.  if this is a gaming rig i recommend changing the I7-6700 to an I5-6600k w/a mild overclock on it.  it will be much faster in games than the I7. 

the GTX 1060 will serve you well (as in my son's case) for 1080p gaming. 

stick with the DS ram, but make sure you get 16GB capacity.  

those speakers you ordered along with the system are really basic and fine for cheap models, but if you want to listen to music at anything resembling audio fidelity look for something else.  they're actually pretty decent for general use and the price.  

if there's something else you would like me to comment on please let me know. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:45pm

I can't thank you enough! Also, for #2, are you referring to the High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes?

BTW, do you work for DS? You're very knowledgeable.

Our pleasure

2. yes.

No I/we don't work for DS, we are knowledgeable/experienced pc users that bought our pc from DS and liked them for their customer service and thus decided to support DS via helping new customers get the best bang for the buck. If you look to the left under our name here you will see "verified customer", DS employees will say "DS employee" instead.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 3:27am
Originally posted by DST4ME

If you look to the left under our name here you will see "verified customer", DS employees will say "DS employee" instead.

Not all of them...
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 3:36am

Yes all of them
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 7:33am

Yes all of them

Discussing 1471623

1. Would you happen to know which CPU Arma 3 would run better on? I7-6700k or I5-6600k w/a mild overclock on it? I'm pretty sure I7 because of HT and more cores.

2. Do you think I should add more fans, or do you think that is unnecessary?

3. Should I upgrade to Vanquish Level 5 for a better cooling system?

4. Is LC really worth it?

Thanks for all your help.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:24am
1. I think for arma your best bet based on the stuff I have seen is the 6700k but that is because arma has a crappy engine, but the 6600k should get you what you need depending on the settings object quality/distance.

Now I don't play it myself, db said his son plays at max settings with a 2500k. If that is the case and the object quality/distance being at ultra/3000 when he said highest settings, then that would mean the 6600k will do great since it beats the 2500k in every way. But you need a good oc, his son 2500k is at 4.2Ghz.

2. I like to have all the fan spots for a case filled out, or at least make sure the two top spots have the fans on them, they will help with temps but they are only necessary if your temps are a bit on the high side due to lack of airflow and this you would only know after you got the pc.

3. not sure what you mean by this question, build 1471623 is a vanquish build already.

4. all lc are not the same. the all in one (aio) types compete with good air coolers here, accept for hydrolux lite, that aio has better parts that gives it better perfomrance, which brings me back to my point, "all lc are not the same" your lc is only as good as the waterblock and the rad mainly if you will, assuming the other parts are good (pump/tube/fans/etc).

To get real lc performance you need to go hydrolux pro, other-wise you are not getting the real lc performance.(aka the lowest temps possible with best parts)

Is it worth it, if you have a use for it or want the lowest possible temps then yes, but lowest temps are not needed, you only need good temps to be ok, and you are not trying to get the highest oc, so on that front you are ok, so it comes down to preference, which is up to you.

keep in mind and lc system might need you to work on it, from replacing a bad aio to replacing a block or a pump on an open loop.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 8:27am
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:40am

1. I think for arma your best bet based on the stuff I have seen is the 6700k but that is because arma has a crappy engine, but the 6600k should get you what you need depending on the settings object quality/distance.

Now I don't play it myself, db said his son plays at max settings with a 2500k. If that is the case and the object quality/distance being at ultra/3000 when he said highest settings, then that would mean the 6600k will do great since it beats the 2500k in every way. But you need a good oc, his son 2500k is at 4.2Ghz.

2. I like to have all the fan spots for a case filled out, or at least make sure the two top spots have the fans on them, they will help with temps but they are only necessary if your temps are a bit on the high side due to lack of airflow and this you would only know after you got the pc.

3. not sure what you mean by this question, build 1471623 is a vanquish build already.

4. all lc are not the same. the all in one (aio) types compete with good air coolers here, accept for hydrolux lite, that aio has better parts that gives it better perfomrance, which brings me back to my point, "all lc are not the same" your lc is only as good as the waterblock and the rad mainly if you will, assuming the other parts are good (pump/tube/fans/etc).

To get real lc performance you need to go hydrolux pro, other-wise you are not getting the real lc performance.(aka the lowest temps possible with best parts)

Is it worth it, if you have a use for it or want the lowest possible temps then yes, but lowest temps are not needed, you only need good temps to be ok, and you are not trying to get the highest oc, so on that front you are ok, so it comes down to preference, which is up to you.

keep in mind and lc system might need you to work on it, from replacing a bad aio to replacing a block or a pump on an open loop.

Thanks for the response! If you could confirm the following that would be great.

1. For Arma, I should go with 6700k.

2. I should hold off on buying any more fans.

3. The High Performance Cooler with Large Fan and Copper Pipes is good enough.

4. Not going with lc(too much work and expensive)

5. If I select oc for cpu, will DS max it out or will they only do enough where the PC does not overheat?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:14am
1. I would feel more comfortable if db chimed in here since his son plays it, if he can confirm that the settings were on ultra and 3000 as I mentioned then I would say go 6600K.

2. if you are going vanquish, add the 2 fans that go on top. you can easily do this yourself, we can help you, real easy to do, its a matter of turning 4 screws pretty much.

3. this affects your question #5. yes but look at 5.

4. perfectly fine lc is not needed. tho on vanquish the aio will get you better temps. look at #5.

5. your oc is limited by the cooling, since the cooling is basic here, your cooling will limit your oc, on vanquish the aio will get you better temps thus higher oc. Otherwise you don't want an oc that has a higher temp of 80c underload.
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:49am

1. I would feel more comfortable if db chimed in here since his son plays it, if he can confirm that the settings were on ultra and 3000 as I mentioned then I would say go 6600K.

2. if you are going vanquish, add the 2 fans that go on top. you can easily do this yourself, we can help you, real easy to do, its a matter of turning 4 screws pretty much.

3. this affects your question #5. yes but look at 5.

4. perfectly fine lc is not needed. tho on vanquish the aio will get you better temps. look at #5.

5. your oc is limited by the cooling, since the cooling is basic here, your cooling will limit your oc, on vanquish the aio will get you better temps thus higher oc. Otherwise you don't want an oc that has a higher temp of 80c underload.

I'm going to go with the your configuration with the 1TB WD Black. I spoke with a DS technician and Alex and both said the cooling system is fine. Alex said stage 1 OC will not be a problem. Also, discussing Arma, from what I have read, Arma 3 is heavily cpu(multithreading and multiple cores) so I"m going with i7 6700k. Thanks for all your help. This clip is the best way to sum up how much I appreciate your help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THbc_Qw8FxA
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:25am
Thanks boss you are too kind

My pleasure and good luck
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 2:09pm
Arma 3 is NOT a heavily multi-threaded game, it's a horribly optimized game.  from the material i've seen it uses 1 or 2 cores heavily.  that means an I7 isn't going to do anything for you that an I5 won't at the same clock speeds.  what you need is a massively oc'd cpu for the fastest single-threaded performance you can get.  even after that i don't think it will prevent all of the gpu bottlenecks, especially/ironically the more powerful the gpu.   

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:49pm
I mentioned to him that Arma has a crappy engine he seems to want the 6700k, I'm not really worry about that.

I really wanted him to get a better cooler and oc, but you see what happened and I don't want to start another argument with Alex   

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 4:50pm
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by db188

Arma 3 is NOT a heavily multi-threaded game, it's a horribly optimized game.  from the material i've seen it uses 1 or 2 cores heavily.  that means an I7 isn't going to do anything for you that an I5 won't at the same clock speeds.  what you need is a massively oc'd cpu for the fastest single-threaded performance you can get.  even after that i don't think it will prevent all of the gpu bottlenecks, especially/ironically the more powerful the gpu.   

I haven't purchased it yet. If it is at all possible, could you set up a configuration for me? I'm completely clueless and I'd forever grateful.
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:39pm

I mentioned to him that Arma has a crappy engine he seems to want the 6700k, I'm not really worry about that.

I really wanted him to get a better cooler and oc, but you see what happened and I don't want to start another argument with Alex   

As I mentioned to DB, I haven't purchased it yet. Question though, how would an i5 have a massive oc(DS only goes up to 4.4 ghz)? If you could help guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Also, I made a mistake in my previous post. It's Brian, not Alex.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:13pm
I think db is referring to you pushing the oc yourself, but you would need a better cooler then what is on vanquish IMHO.

If you have a good cpu cooler and get lucky and get a good i6600k then you could push your oc a little higher since the 6600k does not support ht.

If you want a vanquish build with the 6600k just go back and use my config and just change the cpu to 6600k.

but I'm telling you right now you are not gonna get a great oc with the cooler on vanquish, that is my opinion, since there is no way for us to guess your oc.

The other thing to do is go to the highest level of vanquish where you can add the Corsair H80 aio for better cooling then the air option but I'm not a big fan of aio coolers but that is a personal choice.

DS goes higher on the oc on their other lines but not vanquish due to cooling not being that great.

I think this is the build db has in mind:

Ticket Number: 1472404

buy your monitor elsewhere like amazon or newegg where you should get better price.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 10:25pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 11:28pm
yup, get the level 4 Vanquish with the H80 LC, it's a nice 120mm for sure (with a 5-yr warranty) and you'll see that I5-6600K achieve a pretty good oc.  hopefully you win the silicon lottery.  i would think your arma3 performance should be pretty good with that setup.  you got a nice ssd and fast ram, with a very nice gpu that shouldn't bottleneck too much.  for the price, i don't think you can do better.  

Edited by db188 - 16 Aug 2016 at 11:29pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 5:22am

yup, get the level 4 Vanquish with the H80 LC, it's a nice 120mm for sure (with a 5-yr warranty) and you'll see that I5-6600K achieve a pretty good oc.  hopefully you win the silicon lottery.  i would think your arma3 performance should be pretty good with that setup.  you got a nice ssd and fast ram, with a very nice gpu that shouldn't bottleneck too much.  for the price, i don't think you can do better.  

Thanks for the response. After further consideration, my budget can go up to $2500-$2600. So, I'm thinking of going with the Apollo.

1. Would you happen to know a good liquid cooling system. DS requires a minimum of 240 mm for a Stage 2 overclock. I want the cpu to oc to 4.8 ghz. So, whatever lc that is, please tell me.

2. Did I select the right motherboard(for a 4.8ghz oc of course)?

3. Is i7-6700k the only option for a 4.8ghz oc? If so, is 4.0-4.4 going to cut the mustard for Arma. That's all DS can do for the i5-6600k.

I created a configuration. Maybe you could check it out and let me know what you think.

Ticket Number: 1472526

Incredibly thankful for all your help.

Edited by Batman34 - 17 Aug 2016 at 12:06pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 2:32pm
1. No body can guarantee you an oc, the best solution for stage 2 oc would be hydrolux, the pro might be what you need

2. change your congfig to this Ticket Number: 1472723 assuming the lite will do good enough for 4.8, which I'm not so sure it will.

3. the 6700k has a higher base clock so it should have the best chance to get to 4.8 again there are no guarantees.

If you are going to ask for a 4.8Ghz oc make sure to ask for a vcore lower then 1.4 with that. Otherwise the oc is not worth it IMHO.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 2:54pm
we'd all like to be guaranteed a 4.8GHz oc, but the reality is that most aren't going to be able to achieve it, at least for 24/7 everyday usage.  just google "silicon lottery" for how you gamble on a getting a good processor.  notice how DS worded their overclocking stages?  they say "up to", that means no guarantees. 

when i was doing my research on Skylake, i found that roughly 50% of all consumer sold procs would be able to achieve at least 4.5GHz-4.7GHz.

for overclocking, i'd suggest the Asus Z170 Mximus VIII Hero.

minimally, a H100i GTX cooler.  the cooler you selected is fine as well. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 7:50pm

we'd all like to be guaranteed a 4.8GHz oc, but the reality is that most aren't going to be able to achieve it, at least for 24/7 everyday usage.  just google "silicon lottery" for how you gamble on a getting a good processor.  notice how DS worded their overclocking stages?  they say "up to", that means no guarantees.  when i was doing my research on Skylake, i found that roughly 50% of all consumer sold procs would be able to achieve at least 4.5GHz-4.7GHz.for overclocking, i'd suggest the Asus Z170 Mximus VIII Hero.minimally, a H100i GTX cooler.  the cooler you selected is fine as well. 

How good is the h2o hydrolux lite? Should I upgrade to pro?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 11:57pm
like i said, it's fine.  you're only cooling one component.  you don't need a fancy open loop for that.  and the hit to your budget would be bad.  let's just see what DS can do with the config we had.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:51am

like i said, it's fine.  you're only cooling one component.  you don't need a fancy open loop for that.  and the hit to your budget would be bad.  let's just see what DS can do with the config we had.   

3 questions:

1. What do you mean by one component? I selected the h2o lite cpu and gpu.

2. Will I be able to upgrade in the future(gpu, cpu) with the h2o lite?

3. If I were to upgrade, will the h2o Pro be obsolete 4 or 5 years down the road? That is, will I still be able to use it for future upgrades(gpu, cpu)?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Batman34 - 18 Aug 2016 at 8:52am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:21pm

3 questions:

3. If I were to upgrade, will the h2o Pro be obsolete 4 or 5 years down the road? That is, will I still be able to use it for future upgrades(gpu, cpu)?

Thanks for the help.

1.  sorry, i didn't realize that you selected both the gpu and cpu.  i thought we were just talking about the cpu cooler all of this time.  since DS doesn't provide detailed information about their rebranded hardware, i don't know if they use the h220 or h240 Swiftech unit for one thing.  for another, i don't know which gpu blocks they use with this system.  i'm also not up on the performance characteristics of a single 240mm rad cooling both the cpu and gpu with a high oc on them.  i'm a little sketchy on it tbh.  the general rule of thumb is 120mm of rad per component in LC'ing, but that's a minimal/loose standard. 

2. yes, the hybrid can be expanded, but how much i don't know.  like i said above, i'm a little dubious of how well it will perform, especially while pushing both the cpu and gpu hard.

3.  barring any unforeseen damage, corrosion, etc. the loop will hold up for a very long time and can be re-used.  however, if you change the components being cooled to completely different makes/models you can't re-use the blocks on them.  also, tubing can go bad over time with leeching.  if you see it become cloudy/filmy or a definite white residue builds up on the inner wall, it's time to replace it.  the fluid should also be replaced anywhere from 1yr-2rs. 

i have some additional comments:  i really don't think you should liquid cool the 1060 gpu.  if you get the EVGA model it comes with a good air cooler and it's not really a card that demands LC'ing.  plus, it just adds a lot more expense for not really all that much performance gain. 

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:56pm

3 questions:

Thanks for the help.
1.  sorry, i didn't realize that you selected both the gpu and cpu.  i thought we were just talking about the cpu cooler all of this time.  since DS doesn't provide detailed information about their rebranded hardware, i don't know if they use the h220 or h240 Swiftech unit for one thing.  for another, i don't know which gpu blocks they use with this system.  i'm also not up on the performance characteristics of a single 240mm rad cooling both the cpu and gpu with a high oc on them.  i'm a little sketchy on it tbh.  the general rule of thumb is 120mm of rad per component in LC'ing, but that's a minimal/loose standard.  2. yes, the hybrid can be expanded, but how much i don't know.  like i said above, i'm a little dubious of how well it will perform, especially while pushing both the cpu and gpu hard.3.  barring any unforeseen damage, corrosion, etc. the loop will hold up for a very long time and can be re-used.  however, if you change the components being cooled to completely different makes/models you can't re-use the blocks on them.  also, tubing can go bad over time with leeching.  if you see it become cloudy/filmy or a definite white residue builds up on the inner wall, it's time to replace it.  the fluid should also be replaced anywhere from 1yr-2rs.  i have some additional comments:  i really don't think you should liquid cool the 1060 gpu.  if you get the EVGA model it comes with a good air cooler and it's not really a card that demands LC'ing.  plus, it just adds a lot more expense for not really all that much performance gain. 

Thanks for the response. Here are some more questions:

1. Shouldn't the gpu be cooled due to oc?

2. What cooling unit do YOU suggest that I purchase for a reasonable oc for the cpu? I want your honest opinion.

3. What, in your opinion, would require h2o Pro Liquid cooling?

4. If I do go with the h2o pro and I want to upgrade, do I just have to make sure that the cpu or gpu is the same model as the original one?

5. If I ever decide to upgrade to lc and other parts(cpu, gpu, etc.) can I ship the Apollo back to DS headquarters have them upgrade the parts?

Thanks for all your help and sorry about all the questions.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 4:38pm
You won't be upgrading the cpu since most likely the new cpu socket will not match yours. So don't worry about upgrading the cpu.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>