Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vigoon1st View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vigoon1st Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Foreign Music
    Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 9:57pm
Hi,

I don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask this question, but I could not think of any other place (since amazon.com forums and customer service were less than helpful or not at all), So thank you for your patience with me as I inquire this.

I want to purchase some music that is only available in sold on the Japanese version of amazon.com.

Problem is, that I don't speak or read Japanese, I don't know how to convert my dollars to yen (or if that is done automatically..heck I don't even know if the Japanese amazon.com will accept US based debit cards)
and I need to know if I have to have some kind of specific hardware or software to even play a Japanese CD or DVD on my digitalstorm pc

(I had just wanted to get mp3 singles of the songs but the US amazon.com rep told me that Japan doesn't allow that for US customers).

So, does anyone here from the US have experience purchasing foreign music CDs, specifically from Japan? (though general experience could be helpful too)
And be willing to offer some help/insight to me for this?

Thank you very much to any and all replies.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 1:43am
I've purchased CDs from Japan before, I had no issue with it playing, I don't think they have all the regional restrictions on CDs as they do on movies, but don't quote me on that. As for the Japanese Amazon, it will convert the currency automatically, but since I'm not entirely sure where they are physically located, you might let your CC company know that you will be making an international purchase just to be safe. If you don't end up needing it, then you really haven't lost anything in the process. You can expect to pay a conversion fee on top of the price of the CDs, and that varies from CC to CC, so you'll have to consult your specific company for more information. I know you mentioned you are using a Debit Card, but as far as Amazon is concerned, it gets viewed as a Credit Card, assuming its Visa, or Cirrus, etc. Just call your issuing bank for details.

You can find a plethora of online converters that will give you up to date exchange rates, so you can find out exactly how much you are spending, then factor in the card's conversion fee, so you know what to look for.
Vigoon1st View Drop Down

Quote Vigoon1st Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 3:13pm
ok, Thank you very much for the information, It will help me quite a bit. =)

1 last thing, I know that auto translators don't usually do a good job translating Japanese (especially amazon.com's version, which doesn't always offer to translate anyways).

but I want to make sure I am purchasing what I mean to purchase, Is there any free software that is as good as it can be for translating Japanese, that I can use?

(I browse exclusively in chrome, but it like the amazon.com one doesn't always give me the option to translate, doesn't translate everything on the page, and about half the time translates pretty poorly).

Thank you again =)
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 1:29am
Well, when it comes to free, Google Translate is probably going to be your best bet. I think it the comparisons done it always tends to come out ahead of the other free options. I don't regularly use Chrome, but I'm pretty sure its the exact same program, just imbedded in the browser. You might try some of the other services, just to see if it works any better (BabelXL, Frengly, WorldLingo, etc.).

If you are really uncertain that you are on the right page, I would contact their customer service, there is a fairly good chance they will speak English well enough to converse with you.
 Post Reply Post Reply