FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why should I pick Digital Storm?

Post Date: 2012-09-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MANERS View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MANERS Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Why should I pick Digital Storm?
    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 9:30pm
Budget:
[No more than 1500, preferably lower than 1200]

Expectations:
[Small and light, fast boot up, reliable internet connection, preferably without burning my hand under load.]

Usage:
[Mobile IT, web design (image editing in GIMP and Inkscape, coding in Notepad++, testing in Chrome and Firefox). I came here when I realized an ultrabook (what I originally was looking for) was ~200 cheaper than just getting something that could play a few games. (GW2 on medium-low, Tribes Ascend on lowish at 60, etc).]

Special Needs:
[I want Ubuntu compatibility. If the computer isn't compatible there is a high chance of me returning it. I don't want to be stuck in Windows once Steam for Ubuntu lands.]

Saved Ticket #: [732919]

Specifications:
[Chassis Model: Digital Storm xm11 Laptop (Model: 6110)
Display: 11.6 Inch (Resolution: 1366 x 768) (Glossy Surface) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 3610QM (2.3 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.3Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Premium IC Diamond CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Primary Hard Drive: Intel 240GB SSD (520 Series) (SATA 6Gb/s)
Secondary Hard Drive: - Not Available
Optical Drive: - Not Available
Wireless Card: Intel Advanced-N 6235 Wireless LAN Module
Video Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty Plan: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty]

[---Competitors Removed----]

Ignoring Digital Storm's intense testing (I can do what really needs done myself), their support, and their professional shipping, would there be any performance or quality differences in the builds, enough to justify $200?

Also, anyone have any idea how hot this thing gets in game?

Thanks,
~MANERS

[EDIT: Competitor names removed as this is a company official forums and we cannot host direct links to our competitors - Alex]

Edited by Alex - 30 Sep 2012 at 10:48pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 10:50pm
Maners,

Thank you for posting on our forums, we would love to earn your business and provide you with a solid high-performance gaming laptop.

I had to remove the competitor direct links for obvious reasons. I will state the price difference facts in for the testing process and our overall customer/support care. You're getting the Digital Storm and everything we stand for with your investment.

In regards to actual performance, if the hardware is all the same, the performance will be the same. The unit from what I've heard does not get that hot during gaming sessions.
Orange7 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 6:11pm
In all honesty, the support is what defines the DS experience, and if you don't care about that, or about the knowledge of the technicians or the forum members, than you may wish to look elsewhere.

That said, trust me when I say that the extra money is more than worth it. Assuming that the link that you had put up was for Cyberpower or PowerPC, or one of those other garbage brands, the extra money will be well spent. I know of no other company where you can just call, chat with, or email any of the technicians at any point of the day and just start chatting about computer parts. When I upgrade to Haswell in a few months, it is nice to know that I have the combined knowledge of several DS technicians and hundreds of forum-goers, many of which are experts, to aid me in any decision-making and help with any questions.

In addition, I have heard poor things from quite a few people about the customer support at some other high end companies. I know that at DS, should my laptop break, I can send it back in, and DS will fix it strictly to the warranty with no questions asked.

Essentially, the extra money just saves you time and piece of mind, and it gives you full U.S. tech support from a knowledgeable staff. If any of those sound appealing, go for it.

Good luck.

Edited by Orange7 - 01 Oct 2012 at 6:12pm
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
DomTheBomb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DomTheBomb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 6:09am
Especially with laptops, if you're paying more over other companies it's for two main reasons:
1) Warranty.
2) Customer Service.

Generally if you factor in a 3 year warranty with the other companies you will find that DS is cheaper or the same price. The DS warranty is also better than any other company I have seen.

The DS customer service is also amazing. Other companies may advertise "24/7" support, but that means that you'll be calling someone who either doesn't speak english well or doesn't really know about computers. The DS service guys are incredibly knowledgable, and will find a solution to any problem you have.

Finally, you could factor in customer satisfaction. For the other brands, (Cyberpower, PowerPC, Alienware) it's nearly impossible to find multiple good reviews of their laptops. Most often people complain about laptops that are dead on arrival, have dead pixels, or break within only a short time. Afterwards, these companies make it a challenge to replace the laptop or get a refund.

Digital Storm makes it easy.

So, the extra money you're paying is for assurance and peace of mind, as well as a high quality laptop that you won't ever regret buying.
DS x17, 1 Year 5 Months
i7 3720QM (2.6GHz/3.6GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Nvidia GTX 680M 4GB
240GB Intel 520 SSD
Windows 8.1 Pro
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 8:52am
Just chiming in -- I've owned those other brands personally. I compete in PGL and while I cannot personally tell you how hot the system might get I can tell you that should there be a problem or something other type of question that you could not handle DS will knock it out for you.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 1:11pm
Thank you everyone for your support and feedback, especially coming from people that have purchased our product.
 Post Reply Post Reply