FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Triton: New Laptop

Post Date: 2015-01-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nightsong View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nightsong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Triton: New Laptop
    Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 1:58pm
My laptop came in on Monday, January 12th. Been busy with school so I haven't had time to write a review but it's the weekend now so I have some free time. Anyways, my old laptop finally died right around the end of 2014 so I needed a new one. Since I play MMO's (mainly Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and Star Wars: The Old Republic at the moment) I decided to go with the Digital Storm Triton. From the time the laptop was ordered to when it arrived, I quite enjoyed the periodic email updates from Digital Storm about what stage the laptop was in. Once the laptop arrived, it was quite cold (I blame the fact that it was arriving to a city where the high that day was 20 degrees). Was very happy to see the laptop start up right away without having to wait for it to warm up after being brought inside. Once I got both MMO's loaded up, I loaded up the Star Wars MMO and got the graphics settings set properly. The laptop has run the game quite smoothly with no drop in frame rate performance and the fan staying silent with the only time it making noise is if the graphics card has to render lots of stuff on screen or I have multiple HD videos loaded in the background. Outside of gaming, the laptop works wonderfully and the fan again stays quiet unless I'm running multiple CPU intensive apps. Having had the laptop just under a week, I'm so far loving it for being versatile for both school and gaming. Below I've included the laptop specs as well as a photo of the laptop itself (mind the dust and fingerprints... normally it sits up on my desk but I was lying in bed at the time the photo was taken).

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Triton 15.6 Inch Laptop (Model: S:8651)
Display: 15.6 Inch (16:9) (Resolution: 1920 x 1080) (Anti-glare) LED-Backlit Display
Processor: Intel Core i7 4710HQ (Up to 3.50Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)
Thermal Compound: Premium CPU and GPU Thermal Compound (Reduces Thermal & Laptop Noise)
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Storage Drive 1: 250GB Solid State - Samsung 840 EVO
Storage Drive 2: 750GB 7200RPM (SATA 3Gb/s)
Optical Drive: External USB - DVD/CD 8x Multi-Drive (Writes and Reads DVDs, CDs)
Wireless Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 + Bluetooth 4.0 (M.2 Socket)
Graphics Card(s): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3GB with NVIDIA Battery Boost + NVIDIA Optimus
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)

"Time's fatal wings do ever forward fly; to every day we live, a day we die."
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 1:06am
AwesomeStrongAwesome

Very nice!
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 12:09pm
Awesome, another laptop user!  ExcitedAwesome

Glad to hear you've enjoyed your DS experience so far.  Are you planning to post a more in-depth review after you've had it in your hands for a bit?  I always love to hear reviews.

And cold's not bad for electronics, as long as it's not too cold.  20 degrees is probably a bit low, but let's hope it was in the 40's once you unboxed it.Hahaha
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 5:14am
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 3:26pm
Great review!
Crow View Drop Down

Quote Crow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 11:50am
Nice laptop!  Awesome I'm in the process of buying one myself, I just can't seem to make a choice between the Level 1 and 2. How well does it handle heat over extended periods of time?

I usually play games like Total War, Wargame, and Arkham Origins. Can it handle games like these on High Settings?

Post Reply Post Reply