Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Olerong View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: New CoffeeLake Machine
    Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 3:12pm
Budget:
$5,000

Expectations:
This machine will primarily be used for gaming, but will also be used as a general purpose PC. It is not being used for graphic design, music composition, etc. I would like the machine to handle 4K gaming on two 27+ inch monitors or one 34+ inch monitor at a good framerate.

Usage:
4K gaming; VR; streaming; general productivity

Special Needs:
My main questions are:

(1) what is the best motherboard to get for this machine? I want the best Z370 motherboard available, but probably don't need 4 PCI-E lanes.

(2) Is the 850W EVGA SuperNova PS sufficient? Should I opt for the 1000W Corsair HX1000i? What if I decide to go with 2 GTX 1080 Ti's in SLI? What PS is best then?

(3) I am not too familiar with liquid cooling. Thoughts on the different Corsair options? Should I go with GPU cooling?

Saved Ticket #: 1754577

Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) (Up to 4.70 GHz)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X APEX (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature (Restore Windows + Drivers) (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:45pm
1. depends on your needs, usb/sata/pci/oc

2. depends on system specs, for one gpu the 850w is good for sli the more headroom the better so hx1000w imho is the way to go.

3. the main rule about lc is:

Prepare to work on lc system, from replacing aio to fixing leaks on a real loop. Not saying it happens to all but be prepared to work on it one way or another. the h115 has a 5 year warranty I think, it will do fine for these cpus, unless you want to do extreme oc, in which case you need a better loop, but if you ask us we would tell you not to go extreme on oc unless you know exactly what you are doing.

If you want to add gpu to the loop then you are going for a real loop, and thus more possible work but it will keep the system quiet.

oc this yourself, to something with light vcore I think a 4.7GHz oc or so I think is possible depending.

In keeping with the be ready to work on your lc system, make sure your psu is fully modular just in case you have to switch it, it will be very easy.

for 4k I would probably go sli 1080ti

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Oct 2017 at 1:44am
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 5:48pm
I think that I am now leaning towards SLI primarily because I can include two GPUs and still come in under budget. However, I am also leaning towards eventually using either the Acer X35 Predator monitor or the ASUS ROG Swift X35VQ Monitor. In that case, do you think that the current LC (H115i) is sufficient, or do you think LC for the graphics cards is necessary? I don't generally care about noise - within reason. Also, any thoughts on 3000Mhz RAM versus 3200Mhz RAM? I tend to lean towards the Dominator RAM, but I really don't know if the performance increase is noticeable over the the "Digital Storm Performance Series".
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 10:31pm
You can always add a second gpu yourself its very easy

Those are ultra wide monitors at 200hz if I remember correctly. with stingle 1080ti you will be around 70 - 110 fps, if you want higher fps in ultra wide then sli it is.

the h115i is an all in one (aio) cooler for your cpu, it has nothing to do with your monitor choice or gpus. Lc for gpu is not a necessity, its a preference in your case. (remember be prepared to work on lc system if you order one). IF you don't care about noise then don't worry about lc on gpus.

Ram speed between 3000Mhz and 3200Mhz is not that important, I like corsair also, go with what you like, just remember there is only a handful of companies that make memory and psu, and most brands like corsair is not one of those. But corsair has good warranty and customer service so that is why I like them.

Also like to point out that for gaming you only need a quad core cpu, 6 core is not necessary.

Hope all that helps

Edited by DST4ME - 05 Oct 2017 at 11:47pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Olerong

Also, any thoughts on 3000Mhz RAM versus 3200Mhz RAM? I tend to lean towards the Dominator RAM, but I really don't know if the performance increase is noticeable over the the "Digital Storm Performance Series".
  nobody really knows and i doubt there are any scaling tests out yet.  Intel only officially supports (up to) DDR4 2666Hz @19-19-19 sub timings for their 6 core (non AIO) procs.  obviously, that's Intel being overly conservative, as ram manufacturers have no problem hitting higher frequencies and better sub timings. 

suffice it to say that until there have been scaling tests to prove otherwise, speeds over 3000Mhz offer diminishing returns when you trade latency for speed.  i expect that to remain the case except in niche cases/situations.  gaming not being one of them.  

i would actually advise more memory (especially with high refresh monitors) rather than faster memory.  and i'd equally trade lower ram frequency for tighter sub timings. 

Edited by db188 - 06 Oct 2017 at 12:20am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:53am
RIP HEDT quad core procsEvil
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:22am
initial reports im reading say the new mobos are pumping out too much VID just to keep all of the cores boosted.  one oc reviewer was having to undervolt the proc by -.09 offset just to keep the non-oc boost under 90C on a 280mm CoolerMaster AIO.  he said a 240mm rad wasn't even enough to keep it in the high 70's under load.  he expects mobo revisions will address this problem.  with a boost of 4.7GHz already there's little room for improvement unless you want to go the route of a custom LC setup. 

perhaps Meller can offer his de-lidding services?

Edited by db188 - 06 Oct 2017 at 1:24am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:30am
honestly though, the closer you get to 4k and beyond the less the cpu has to do with it.  you probably won't see much (if any) difference between a 7700K and this proc at the resolution.  it's all about the graphics HP at that rez!
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:43am
Lol db, post options>edit post
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:55am
i'm sorry your honor, i'm fatHahaha
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:57am
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 5:01am
I think that I am leaning towards the Acer x34 Predator monitor for now, and might either add a graphics card or replace the graphics card (and monitor) at some point down the road. I know that that Acer x34 is not a 4K monitor, but it seems like a better value for now.

Here's the new config - any thoughts on things to change?

Chassis

Core Components
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)

Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)

Software
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature (Restore Windows + Drivers) (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Olerong - 06 Oct 2017 at 5:03am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm
I would stick with the old ram speed

make sure that 850w is modular, for more headroom go with 1000w (for sli)

change your Recovery Tools to the one I had picked.

rest looks good
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:21pm
Thanks DST4ME. It seemed like you liked the Corsair RAM, but you think I should go with the "Digital Performance Series"? Do you happen to know who manufactures the DS RAM? I was thinking the same thing about upping the PS to 1000w - good call on that - just in case I add a card later.

I didn't even notice the change to Recovery Tools, so thanks for that.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 1:57pm
The DS ram has been ADATA, which is good.    The higher end ram is either for looks or if someone wishes to push its overclock.     DS ram is just fine.

Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:38pm
Thanks bprat22. I am getting close to finalizing this build. I thought about it again and decided to go ahead with the SLI 1080 Ti's since I know that I will want either the ASUS or Acer 4K 35" monitors when they're released (hopefully this quarter). The newest build is below, so please let me know if you think anything can be improved within my budget range (~$5,000). The main question I have remaining is whether the motherboard that I chose is a good choice. I have done some research and it looks to be a decent choice, but would like to hear what others think.

Chassis

Core Components
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)

Storage / Connectivity

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

Software
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)

Accessories / Goodies

Customer Care
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 2:51pm
Build looks real good.   You don’t need 32gb ram, 16gb being more than enough.   Ram isn’t much more, so up to you, but the savings is a few games.

Your mobo pick is a good choice.   Unless the higher end boards have something you need, my choice is always mid price board, not the cheapest or most expensive but middle of the road.    The mobo is always the toughest for us to suggest.    

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 3:28pm
Remember corsair doesn't make their own ram either. Its your choice really cant go wrong either way with ram.

For mobo think about how many pci ports you want, same with USB, does that mobo give you enough usb 2.0/3.0 ports?

I have that psu hxi for testing, you will love it

Let him keep the ram 32gb bp, he i s doing heavy vr and tho 16gb should be enough, 32 doesn't hurt just in case, what do you think?

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Oct 2017 at 3:31pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 3:40pm
Yeah, 16gb is plenty for even VR from what I’ve read, but there are cases of poor optimized games already recommending 16 gb.    Of course, recommending and actually needing can be different.    32gb is safe and not that much more for his high end rig, so go for it.   
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 4:17pm
AWESOME BUILD !

LUCKY MAN FOR SURE !

Please post pics, specs, benchmarks, and review

Congrats and Enjoy

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 4:06pm

Thanks DST4ME. It seemed like you liked the Corsair RAM, but you think I should go with the "Digital Performance Series"? Do you happen to know who manufactures the DS RAM? I was thinking the same thing about upping the PS to 1000w - good call on that - just in case I add a card later.

I didn't even notice the change to Recovery Tools, so thanks for that.
it's hard to know with re-branded memory chips which company (SKHynix, Micron, Samsung, etc.) actually manufactured them.  Corsair, like most other companies, use a mix throughout their product lineup, with the higher end offerings usually using the better chips.  Samsung is a company that manufactures and uses their own technology in their products.  they are considered to produce high quality at good prices throughout their catalog of products (memory, storage, etc.) 

as with any build, it's highly recommended to research each component you plan to build with on respectable tech review sites (like Anandtech).  they usually break down and give their opinions on the quality of what the underlying tech is for the product under review. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:29am
Thanks everyone for the input. I finalized the build (1755749), but would really love to get free shipping on this. I actually thought that came with it, but I guess it's a promo, and I really don't want to wait until Black Friday. Who should I contact for that?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:59am
Free shipping is during promotions. Don’t know when the next one will be.

Call sales or [email protected].     
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 3:41pm
Looks good boss

FYI Do not install Mcafee , instead get a lighter better anti virus like ESET (number 3 on the list) Or any other good light AV.

Notice you have a 3 year labor 1 year part warranty

Doubt you get free shipping unless there is promo, otherwise everyone asks for it.
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:29pm
Thanks. I wasn't planning on installing McAfee. I use Avast now, but haven't reevaluated AV software in awhile.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:56pm
Avast is ok too but no matter what make sure you match them up with malwarebytes
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 6:44am
I neglected to mention it, but I am also using MalwareBytes. I just don't use it as "active" protection. I run scans a few times a month.

Edited by Olerong - 09 Oct 2017 at 6:45am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:46am
Active is better but that will do also, if you visit sites like piratebay then you better have the active
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 2:32pm
Trigger pulled -

Now I just need some advice on a 34" ultrawide monitor. I was leaning towards a 4K monitor, but now I think I might opt for the new Alienware ultrawide monitor (AW3418DW). Any thoughts on this monitor vs. the Asus X34 Predator?
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:24pm

Trigger pulled -

Now I just need some advice on a 34" ultrawide monitor. I was leaning towards a 4K monitor, but now I think I might opt for the new Alienware ultrawide monitor (AW3418DW). Any thoughts on this monitor vs. the Asus X34 Predator?

WoWsers

Congrats !!

Welcome to the next level

Please Post review with lots of sexy photos
[Ask a neighbor] and maybe a couple of the PC.

Be Prepared for utter Joy    

same feeling a farmer gets in morning after milking first cow of the day.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:32pm
Congratulations and welcome to DS. That is a real nice Strong system. Enjoy.Big%20Smile

(don't know how it feels to milk a cowOopsbut it must be something elseLOL )
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:31pm
My last build two builds were from ***********, but I have heard good things about DS over the years. I will post a review once I receive the system. In the meantime, recommend me a monitor!

Competitor’s name removed.

Edited by Snaike - 11 Oct 2017 at 2:05am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:33am
meh, wait for the twins from ASUS/Acer curved 35" 1440p GSync models running at 200Hz.  although you might want to sli another 108ti with. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Olerong View Drop Down

Quote Olerong Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:08am
I have read reports that the ASUS/Acer monitors are delayed until Q2 2018 and will be priced around $2,000.
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:44pm
Here is a couple I recommend
------------------------------------------------------------------
BenQ ZOWIE 27 inch 144Hz

ASUS MG28UQ

Currently own the BenQ and it does kick some Ass
but love both

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>