Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
carefulpunch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote carefulpunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Game addiction
    Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 12:14am
I have been playing online games since I was 13 years old. I seldom go out with friends because I enjoy playing more than anything else. My playing schedule is from morning to night. Is this already considered as a game addiction?
carefulpunch
Jerrar View Drop Down

Quote Jerrar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 1:31am
I am pretty much the same. What the WHO claims as addiction is if you play such that it affects your normal life, it controls you, you cannot stop playing, you prioritize gaming over other things in life like job, studies, chores etc.

So its safe to say If you are anything like me you are not an addict. But if you do any of the things mentioned above, you are an addict and should look to get clean yourself or get help.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 1:43am
Like Jerrar states, if you can conduct yourself in a productive way and not abandon all semblance of a normal life with your close ones (friends and/or family), then you are not addicted to gaming. It is when you can only game to the exclusion of everything else in your life (and you look it) that you might have a problem and need professional help.
I would venture to say, without knowing your particular details, that you are not addicted if you are wondering if you are. Usually people with mental issues are the last ones to recognize them, if they ever do.
Game on. Awesome
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 2:32am
I think we’ve all thought that at one time or another.   

Addiction is usually associated with adverse effects, like health issues, losing your money, throwing family away, etc.    

nubatpc View Drop Down

Quote nubatpc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:41pm
Addiction is the physical dependence on something so no ur not addicted
suck at pc
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 2:31am
You can be addicted to a behavior and not necessarily a physical substance. The determining factors have to do with the rewards perceived by the conduct that reaches a level which is detrimental to the individual's health. That can be by gaming.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote carefulpunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 5:20am
Thank you for the insights. My online game is already affecting my relationship with other people since I prioritize it more. Upon reading this article (https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/depression), I come to realize that I have a problem and need to seek professional help.

Edited by carefulpunch - 04 Jul 2018 at 5:23am
carefulpunch
nubatpc View Drop Down

Quote nubatpc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 11:03am
Originally posted by hoserator

You can be addicted to a behavior and not necessarily a physical substance. The determining factors have to do with the rewards perceived by the conduct that reaches a level which is detrimental to the individual's health. That can be by gaming.
I meant he being physically independent of it not having something physical addicted to .
suck at pc
nubatpc View Drop Down

Quote nubatpc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 11:04am
Originally posted by carefulpunch

Thank you for the insights. My online game is already affecting my relationship with other people since I prioritize it more. Upon reading this article (https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/depression), I come to realize that I have a problem and need to seek professional help.
hope u get better soon
suck at pc
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by carefulpunch

I wish you the best of luck.
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
Michaelbucher View Drop Down

Quote Michaelbucher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:09pm
I use tp have the same problem if yiu can conduct yourself like what was saod earlier your good
Groupie
Groupie

Quote carefulpunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 3:19am
Thank you for all the kind words, guys :)
carefulpunch
Alberto View Drop Down

Quote Alberto Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 3:12pm
I would like to share this idea i have realized a while back when i used to play 10 hours and more a day.

I have had a friend, a game designer with his own team working on casual games. He told me that the longest part of the job is not the putting everything together and leading the team to a game release, but the accumulation of the ideas.

He said that since the childhood, every movie he watched, or game he played was part of his job to a successful lead game designer. And you can see the point.

We all have the potential to becoming something out of all this experience we accumulate. What if any time now all these experiences will lead you to some idea which otherwise would be impossible?

I believe we are achieving our life purpose and it includes gaming, or whatever we do. Every bit of information is useful for the future self :)
JudgeJury View Drop Down

Quote JudgeJury Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 2:42am
I don't think that it's an addiction; we all enjoy it and it does not harm our bodies too; Addiction always harms the body but gaming addiction? Definitely not
Gustie View Drop Down

Quote Gustie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 5:10am
Originally posted by JudgeJury

I don't think that it's an addiction; we all enjoy it and it does not harm our bodies too; Addiction always harms the body but gaming addiction? Definitely not

Yeah what i think also is that we might get an answer in the future, but now gaming as an "addiction" was invented for 20 years or so. I wouldn't call the old console games addictive if we go into the earlier years..

Gaming is somewhat mental gymnastics, learning to react, overcome obstacles etc., while real addiction is that you won't learn anything, and blocks you from growing for a period of time.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 8:02am
IMHO today's society has confused and diluted the definitions of "addiction", "habit" and "hobby" in an effort to sound edgy. My grandfather had trains.. he would spend hours and hours each day on his scaled RR and town. Back then it was a hobby.. society today would want to have an "intervention for his addiction".

So, no. I don't think gaming is an addiction.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Snaike

IMHO today's society has confused and diluted the definitions of "addiction", "habit" and "hobby" in an effort to sound edgy. My grandfather had trains.. he would spend hours and hours each day on his scaled RR and town. Back then it was a hobby.. society today would want to have an "intervention for his addiction".

So, no. I don't think gaming is an addiction.

Excellent observation and analysis! Thanks for sharing.
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 11:06am
Personally, I believe gaming can become an addiction or a very bad habit in certain circumstances. One could argue that the stimulation games provide can become a psychological dependence (https://americanaddictioncenters.org/the-addiction-cycle/psychological-dependence/). However, there are many different factors that can contribute to one being disposed to said condition. Obviously, this PC forum is by no means a scientific journal, but I can point out a couple other mental conditions that negatively influence people's lives:
Kleptomania- a recurrent urge to steal, typically without regard for need or profit (Google Definition).

Ludomania-an urge to gamble continuously despite harmful negative consequences or a desire to stop (Wiki).

The key thing to remember about gaming is balance and moderation. Nothing wrong with playing games, but it becomes an issue when it inhibits you from putting down the controller and completing other responsibilities in your life.
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2018 at 11:24am
I agree with Batman. Gaming has proven to be an addiction by the medical field.   An addiction doesn’t have to be physically harmful like drug addiction.   While most of us can spend hours at a time playing our favorite game, we still have the sense to put it down when it’s time for school, or to eat or to pay the bills.   There are gamers out there, and lots of them, that spend thousands of dollars they can’t afford to play games like FFXV because they need just one more pack to stay in the ranking.

Game addiction leads to unsociable behavior, bad grades in school, losing friends and family, all the same results as gambling, sex addiction, etc.

The vast majority of gamers can game without losing touch with what’s important.   Most people can gamble or have sex or take a prescription drug and control it.   But not all.

FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 2:28pm
LOL

windy-towarowe View Drop Down

Quote windy-towarowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:20am
As mentioned earlier, as long as you can do other things besides gaming and it doesnt affect other aspects of your life it should be OK. If you need to force yourself and feel the compulsion to play games, i think you should search for medical attention.
glowen View Drop Down

Quote glowen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 9:25am
I don't really believe in gaming addiction. I have tried to look into it seriously, and the facts seems too biased by the medical, psychology community or parents.
It's the lack of gaming for the past older generations that now do not understand this phenomena. I think as we grow and humanity evolves through technology, these things comes naturally. Who would play with their imagination and toys now when they can play with worlds full of quests and see the numbers go up.
LooseLuetta View Drop Down

Quote LooseLuetta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 7:59am
Gaming can definitely become an addiction if you allow it to be. I know everything about that, as at one point I was spending too much time playing video games and began to get alot of slack about my time being spent playing games and not doing other things. You just have to find that righthe balance where you don't allow it to take over your life.
Marylle View Drop Down

Quote Marylle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 9:50am
Originally posted by LooseLuetta

Gaming can definitely become an addiction if you allow it to be. I know everything about that, as at one point I was spending too much time playing video games and began to get alot of slack about my time being spent playing games and not doing other things. You just have to find that righthe balance where you don't allow it to take over your life.

Well said, i've been there too.
When you have done everything you know you have to do, the duties, the exams, the work. Then it feels fine even if you play marathons.
But when you know you really have to do something right now, and you still emotionally say to yourself "aight this one more game.. okay one more.." leaving duties for the last moment, then it feels like an addiction, and what is worse that you are aware of it, it feels bad

Edited by Marylle - 02 Sep 2018 at 9:54am
Alex175 View Drop Down

Quote Alex175 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:13am
It is not a problem, as long as you do not lock yourself completely in you house or leave aside the obligations of your daily life. I am also more of staying at home enjoying a good game
 Post Reply Post Reply