FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming and every day PC recommendation please

Post Date: 2016-09-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fuzzyweed View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fuzzyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming and every day PC recommendation please
    Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 2:24pm
Budget:
2,500 - PC only, not include peripherals (ie monitor I may get)

Expectations:
* can run very basic duel monitors that I have now (2x 1920 x 1080, 60 Hz, 20 inch)
* can run single monitor I may get in future (1x looking at some options such as 920 x 1080, 144 hz, 24 inch, or 2560x1440, 165 hz, 27 inch)

Note on monitor: no 4K will be looked at. Any recommendations here are also appreciated :-), such as should I get something free sync or G-sync, etc

Usage:
* by "run" above I mean max settings on games I play: WoW, Overwatch, Tomb Raider, etc types
* handle every day computing tasks - nothing media heavy
* will last me a long time

Special Needs:
* can keep my system cool in my non-air conditioned house - the room can get toasty - can run fan in the room but my current rig has a hard time keeping up
* I have rabbits so it can get furry everywhere. I need something easy to clean and upkeep and hopefully - able to be okay with the fur in-between cleaning days
* can play movies -etc when wanted. no big movie theater experience required :-)

Current Specifications of PC (also from Digital Storm):
For some background, here is what I purchased last time from DS. It's been great but it has a very hard time keeping up with the ambient temp in the room in order to keep the system cool enough. My second video card burnt out actually.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm ODE Level 3
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67 (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair XMS3 Series (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Corsair H70 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Thanks in advance for your help!

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 2:41pm
@fuzzyweed before we talk about your system, there is something you need to understand.

The temperature of your pc is heavily dependent on the ambient temperature (room temp). If your room temp is high, then air or lc will not help you in cooling your system.

Its very simple, both air and lc use fans to blow air to help with heat exchange. With air the fan blows air through heat pipes to help with the heat exchange and with lc fan blows air through the radiator to help with heat exchange.

Now as you can imagine if the air that fan is blowing through pipes/rad is hot then its not gonna help much with heat exchange when we are trying to trade heat for cold, since we would be bringing heat instead of cold to the table to trade for heat. And of course the temperature of the air that the fan is going to blow (aka the temp we bring to the table to exchange for heat) is decided by the ambient temp.

So long story short unless you want to spend money on a nitrogen system (lol) there is no way to keep your pc cool in a toasty room with no ac, your parts will dies at a very fast rate, number one enemy of electronics is heat. No matter what I recommend to you, I would expect parts of it to die within a year or two if the room temps are high.

to give you best chance at temps we need to go hydrolux pro and that will blow your budget out of the water with only cpu, if add gpu to it you are looking at $3200

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 2:42pm
fuzzyweed View Drop Down

Quote fuzzyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 6:22pm
Hi DST4ME

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured that might be what you were going to say.

Can you give me a recommendation for the best air cooling system you'd recommend as well as the LC for CPU and GPU?

Given the price range it might be that I'll explore some ways of keeping the room temp down that would be about the same cost as the LC. I might also just need to suck up the cost and invest in both.

Thanks!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 6:43pm
I would get an ac unit for the room the pc is in, that would be the best IMHO. you can either get a window unit or one of those portable ones, but for a permanent one I would get a window unit, those portables don't do well running all the time.

So unfortunately looks like DS has decided to not offer a good cooler anymore because of ups's crappy shipping, which makes no sense to me but I don't own DS if I did I would offer air cooler and instead use a different shipping company.

So we are stuck with lc.

here is just an aio on the cpu :

Ticket Number: 1491330

here is a build with lc on gpu and cpu but this one assumes you have ac in the room, otherwise the cooling needs to be changed from hydrolux lite to pro to help with cooling but keep in mind the previous discussion on heat stands:

Ticket Number: 1491332
MrButters View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrButters Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 1:45am
Originally posted by fuzzyweed

For some background, here is what I purchased last time from DS. It's been great but it has a very hard time keeping up with the ambient temp in the room in order to keep the system cool enough. My second video card burnt out actually.

SLI and overclocked cards and processors are a very bad idea when ambient temps are higher than we'd like for them to be.  Here in Texas temps can soar well past 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and even with the AC on a decent temp I still have to watch it.  Luckily I have a new AC this year which can keep up and runs more efficiently, but I remember back when I had an SLI rig with two of everything in it, both the PC and I would be roasting together.

Getting the ambient temperature under control should be top priority if longevity is important with of any new PC.
 Post Reply Post Reply