FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming/Design Build Help

Post Date: 2012-05-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Valkyrie View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming/Design Build Help
    Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:10am
Budget:
10,000 (including monitor, mouse). If more is needed for liquid cooling than that's alright.

Expectations:
Best possible gaming/design build for budget. I need it to be able to supply the best possible gaming experience, including PhysX e.t.c. I also need it for 3d rendering and tablet graphic design. I'd like it to be very fast when processing.

Usage:
Primary: High-Quality gaming(will be used for MLG). Secondary: Game design (3D modelling and rendering, tablet graphic designs). Will also be used sometimes for server hosting (needs a lot of RAM).

Special Needs:
Australian power supply. I really need a surge protector but they're all American outputs. As stated above, high quality RAM. I'd like the best possible monitor and keyboard/mouse for gaming (I can't choose). Windows 7 Ultimate or similar (so it can actually handle a large amount of RAM). I'm not sure what type of cooling I need, I'd like this computer to last quite a long time.

Current Specs #: /comploadsaved.asp?id=691572

------------------------------

Sorry about my poor post structure - it's my first time doing this sort of thing.

I hope you can help me achieve the best build and I look forward to your responses. If you submit help, can you also judge fellow community members inputs as well please?

I saw a dual processor a while back and it looked really awesome.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Troy

Edited by Valkyrie - 23 May 2012 at 6:10am
Giving up is the only failure in life.
hotshot146 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hotshot146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:59am
First thing you will have to call and see if they can order a Australian psu. The ssd you picked for storage has known problems with the controller. I changed the 2 120Gb to 1 intel 240 Gb one and removed the raid. the raid 0 would cut your storage in half and if one drive goes bad you will lose all data on both drives. I also changed the cooling to be water cooled video and chipset. For your budget it will be a good thing to get. I also took off the video card overclock because they do not overclock them very much and will make the GPU die faster. Here is config number 691584.

Edited by hotshot146 - 23 May 2012 at 7:01am
Valkyrie View Drop Down

Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:57am
Originally posted by hotshot146

First thing you will have to call and see if they can order a Australian psu. The ssd you picked for storage has known problems with the controller. I changed the 2 120Gb to 1 intel 240 Gb one and removed the raid. the raid 0 would cut your storage in half and if one drive goes bad you will lose all data on both drives. I also changed the cooling to be water cooled video and chipset. For your budget it will be a good thing to get. I also took off the video card overclock because they do not overclock them very much and will make the GPU die faster.

Here is config number 691584.

Thanks so much for the input! It sounds a lot more efficient than my primary config. Will removing the RAID option cut down the processing speed?

Regards,
Troy
Valkyrie View Drop Down

Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:05am
Also, is 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX or 32GB DDR3 2000MHz GTX-8 Digital Storm Certified Performance Series better?
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:09am
Sir/Ma'am,

I suggest the following build:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Aventum
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
This changes the operating system suggestion ^
Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - Not Available
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Liquid Cooling System: CPU + Video Cards + Chipset <= you won't need the subzero liquid cooling (which is better) because the modular cooling design of the aventum will take care of the 'extra' heat your currently liquid cooling system will provide.
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: - Not Available
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <= red by default
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <= windows ultimate is really pointless in my opinion, they just add digital locker options and a XP virtualization which you would rarely use and even then, I find it doesn't work well from my experience.  The Professional Edition allow you to use the amount of ram you have selected - this is your operating system floor in my opinion.
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks <= I removed this - if you want good anti-virus get ESET's NOD32.
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
The following were selected from what they had to choose from:
Speakers: Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB Gaming Headset (Model CA-9011112-WW)
^I personally would find a vendor and buy a nice set of skull candy - really sound is preference  you just need to listen, if you talk on voice then get a set with a good mic.  Noise canceling.
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard (USB) (920-000969) <= Love these keyboards, take note however, they are big.
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M60 (Laser 5700 dpi) (FPS Gaming Mouse) (USB Wired)
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large) <= Now you can wear the Digital Storm Flag!  100 percent likely to attract people of the opposite sex! (disclaimer: Unless they do not like shirts, whereas all percent is hereby void ;-) )
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Special things to know:
Digital Storm is an awesome company.  You'll need to contact them to talk to them (even though the forums are awesome) because you have things, like the power supply you'll need.  Also know, you may send THEM stuff so if you get a 1500w PSU and send it to them, they should be able to work with that, however again, ask them.  If you do go that route - do research.  I have a buddy that lives in Queensland if you want me to inquire?

The system is listed at: $8105.00(usd) which would make your system roughly 8,341.73(aud).

Also note I chose a random monitor for you.  Are you going to game 3D?  If not: A Dell Ultrasharp - mmmmmm!

I hope this helps you.  Oh and if you run into me in the PGL - watch out. ;-)
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Valkyrie

Also, is 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX or 32GB DDR3 2000MHz GTX-8 Digital Storm Certified Performance Series better?

You want to take the 1600hz memory the 2133 and whatnot have issues from overclocked processors I am told.
Valkyrie View Drop Down

Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:28am
Originally posted by xii

Sir/Ma'am,I suggest the following build:<font style="font-size:12px" size="1">Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS AventumExterior Finish: - Standard Factory FinishTrim Accents: - Not AvailableProcessor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X 3.3GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance) Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)This changes the operating system suggestion ^Power Supply: 1500W Silverstone (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)Expansion Bay: - No ThanksHard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)Set 1 Raid Options: - No ThanksHard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No ThanksOptical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)Optical Drive 2: - Not AvailableInternet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections) Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA)Add-on Card: - No ThanksSound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm Aventum Liquid Cooling System: CPU + Video Cards + Chipset <= you won't need the subzero liquid cooling (which is better) because the modular cooling design of the aventum will take care of the 'extra' heat your currently liquid cooling system will provide.H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)Chassis Airflow: - Not AvailableInternal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <= red by defaultEnhancements: - Not AvailableChassis Mods: - No ThanksNoise Reduction: - No ThanksLaserMark: - No ThanksBoost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memoryBoost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating systemWindows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <= windows ultimate is really pointless in my opinion, they just add digital locker options and a XP virtualization which you would rarely use and even then, I find it doesn't work well from my experience.  The Professional Edition allow you to use the amount of ram you have selected - this is your operating system floor in my opinion.Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)Virus Protection: - No Thanks <= I removed this - if you want good anti-virus get ESET's NOD32.Office: - No ThanksGame: - No ThanksDisplay: - No Thanks Surge Shield: - No ThanksThe following were selected from what they had to choose from:Speakers: Corsair Vengeance 1500 USB Gaming Headset (Model CA-9011112-WW)^I personally would find a vendor and buy a nice set of skull candy - really sound is preference  you just need to listen, if you talk on voice then get a set with a good mic.  Noise canceling.Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard (USB) (920-000969) <= Love these keyboards, take note however, they are big.Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M60 (Laser 5700 dpi) (FPS Gaming Mouse) (USB Wired)External Storage: - No ThanksExclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large) <= Now you can wear the Digital Storm Flag!  100 percent likely to attract people of the opposite sex! (disclaimer: Unless they do not like shirts, whereas all percent is hereby void ;-) )Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully ProcessedWarranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited WarrantySpecial things to know:Digital Storm is an awesome company.  You'll need to contact them to talk to them (even though the forums are awesome) because you have things, like the power supply you'll need.  Also know, you may send THEM stuff so if you get a 1500w PSU and send it to them, they should be able to work with that, however again, ask them.  If you do go that route - do research.  I have a buddy that lives in Queensland if you want me to inquire?The system is listed at: $8105.00(usd) which would make your system roughly 8,341.73(aud).Also note I chose a random monitor for you.  Are you going to game 3D?  If not: A Dell Ultrasharp - mmmmmm!I hope this helps you.  Oh and if you run into me in the PGL - watch out. ;-)

Thanks so much for your insights! It was extremely helpful and I had a laugh at the same time (:
I'll put some thought to your supplied config, it's quite appealing at the moment. I'm hoping I might be able to increase my budget a bit more, the next few days will tell.

I came across this YouTube video as I was typing this and I'm thinking that it's going to void any new computer I get...
Unlimited Detail - Realtime Graphics

P.S. If you don't play it already, give Tribes: Ascend a go. It's really addictive and claims to be the most fast-paced shooter at the moment.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 8:44am
Yea Ive been following that group for a year or two now.  I don't see their tech on the market for a decade.  So much red tape and greed has to be played through first.  Such is business.

Anyway!  I cant wait to see your final decision!
Valkyrie View Drop Down

Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:08am
Originally posted by xii

Yea Ive been following that group for a year or two now.  I don't see their tech on the market for a decade.  So much red tape and greed has to be played through first.  Such is business.Anyway!  I cant wait to see your final decision!

I hope you don't mind me asking a final question. What is your view on internet access? I was looking at the Killer 2100 Lag and Latency Reduction, but I'm not sure it would be useful here in Australia.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:25am
Im biased on KillerNic.  I've had nothing but problems with them.

I own a total of 6 PCs (desktops and laptops) 4 have KillerNic's all of them are disabled.  They fail, the control engine is a PITA and otherwise I notice to performance gain.  I have however noticed performance loss.  Your mileage may vary.
Valkyrie View Drop Down

Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 5:28pm
What do you think about: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=691856? I left the KillerNic by accident, I'll just get the high-speed one.

Edit: Concerning Hard-drive 1, you mentioned the 240gb SSD by Intel. Should I get that one or the 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F180GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps). I know it has a little less memory, but wouldn't the speed compensate? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to SSD's so I have no idea

Edited by Valkyrie - 23 May 2012 at 5:43pm
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:17pm
Hi Valkyrie

The Intel 520 series SSDs are faster than the Corsairs and have a longer warranty.  3yrs for the Corsair Force GT and 5yrs for the Intel 520s. 
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Valkyrie View Drop Down

Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Asangard

Hi Valkyrie

The Intel 520 series SSDs are faster than the Corsairs and have a longer warranty.  3yrs for the Corsair Force GT and 5yrs for the Intel 520s. 

Sweet, thanks for the fast response. By the way - do you know what payment methods DS accepts?
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:20pm
The Corsairs also dont last as long as the intels as far as lifespan Im told.

As far as payment - they do credit cards - wire transfer, direct deposit, check or purchase order..  I think thats all of them..
Need specifics specific?

Edited by xii - 23 May 2012 at 9:22pm
Valkyrie View Drop Down

Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by xii

The Corsairs also dont last as long as the intels as far as lifespan Im told.As far as payment - they do credit cards - wire transfer, direct deposit, check or purchase order..  I think thats all of them..Need specifics specific?

Thanks again. All I needed were the different options.

I sent DS Support a message inquiring about the PSU, but haven't got a response yet. It seems like they're never on Live Support, probably time zone difference though.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:54pm
Yea um.. lets see. They'll be open at 12ish for me so thats.. 2am ish for you?
Which means for you... if you live in queensland.. itll be nearing sat.. so they will be open if you call them at like 2 am or later.  On your sat. Approximately. 

Man my head hurts now.

I'd email alex - but I'll respectfully let him open that door.
Valkyrie View Drop Down

Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2012 at 2:05am
Originally posted by xii

Yea um.. lets see. They'll be open at 12ish for me so thats.. 2am ish for you?Which means for you... if you live in queensland.. itll be nearing sat.. so they will be open if you call them at like 2 am or later.  On your sat. Approximately.  Man my head hurts now.I'd email alex - but I'll respectfully let him open that door.

My head hurt when I was trying to work out the time conversion as well haha. I'll just email support rather than leave a ticket.
Valkyrie View Drop Down

Quote Valkyrie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2012 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by xii

The Corsairs also dont last as long as the intels as far as lifespan Im told.As far as payment - they do credit cards - wire transfer, direct deposit, check or purchase order..  I think thats all of them..Need specifics specific?

Heyo, I'm down to buying now and I actually may need some specifics. What are the "specific specifics" for Credit Card, Wire Transfer, Direct Deposit and Purchase Order? As in, what is the process of payment?
Which is more convenient (faster) and safe? I'm not sure what the limit is on my credit card, but I hope it's $9,200.

P.S My final build is http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=693631.

Edit-

The problem is that they only have options for shipping to the U.S and Canada, so how am I going to get shipping to Australia? I really don't want to pay 10% GST for it, it basically rules out the DS 10% discount.

If you'd do a final review I'd be grateful! :D

Edited by Valkyrie - 29 May 2012 at 12:00am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hotshot146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 3:31am
It looks good you still have the Killer card in the card (Just wanted to make sure you knew it was there and not forgot a out it). For shipping you would have to call/email them to get prices. The fastest way to pay would be credit card. But at 9000 I would look into wire transfer all you will have to do would be to go into your bank and give them the account info of digital storm.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote hotshot146 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 3:37am
One last thing if you do pay by credit card you will have to fill out a form with copy of credit card (front and back). I brought a PC for
about 8000 during Christmas and had to do it.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 May 2012 at 7:50am
The above information is correct. Credit on high amounts of money will require you to sign what is basicly a release of funds authorization form.

I agree with wire transfer as your option - as far as that killernic goes (again my opinion) you are wasting your money.  As far as shipping, well - best bet is to email DS or call.

I'm unaware of international shipping policy.

Post Reply Post Reply