Post Date: 2018-07-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sandpaper600 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming Keyboard Pad
    Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 3:51pm
So, I like using key/mouse for gaming, however I ABHOR using the "WASD" keys. As a result, I move the keyboard to my left and use the arrow keys and the associated keys surrounding them.

Recently, there are games that use more keys than I can comfortably reach with this setup and I find that I still have to reach left to access the other keys on my keyboard.

"So, what's the big deal?", I hear you ask. Just reach over and use the keys you need. Well, normally yeah no biggie, but I live in a motor-home and my computer table is only 24" square. Half of the keyboard hangs off into space while I am gaming.

Inevitably, I need to hit a key on the left side of the keyboard and that usually causes the keyboard to upend! Oops

So, long story longer....I see all these "gaming keyboards" made and they really are just standard keyboards but with different paint jobs and lights. "But this keyboard has the fastest clicking mechanical red switches!", you say.

Big deal. Doesn't help me at all.

What I'd really love is something like this:

This isn't an actual thing. Obviously I just did a half-@$$ed job of copy and paste to create this. But, that not withstanding, this is the piece of hardware I dream of.

Now...to the reason I'm here. Is there anyone out there who has the knowledge/desire to help me design/make something like this that would function as a game controller on a Windows PC?

Obviously, the case wouldn't necessarily come out like this, probably more of a homemade plexi-sort-of-a-thing.

I would also appreciate hearing if this would be impossible to implement, due to some Windows stumbling block or other insurmountable obstacle.

Thanks for reading!

Timeless View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Timeless Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:52pm
It has been done: AULA Excalibur Master One-hand Gaming Keyboard Removable Hand Rest RGB Backlight Mechanical Keyboard, or if this gets edited out, just Google "PC Gaming Pad".

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:43pm
Yeah, I've seen things like this. Not really what I'm after. A huge bank of buttons doesn't really lend itself to being user friendly. Could you game with this? I couldn't. Besides, none of the ones I looked at had the arrow key configuration I am after.
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:26pm

PinPle Keyboard One Handed Keyboard Portable Mini Gaming Keypad Ergonomic Game Controller for LOL / WOW / DOTA

Sandpaper,

This has the same WASD keys as the AULA Excalibur that Timeless suggested for you, but they are highlighted in red to identify them as movement keys.  The keys are in the EXACT same configuration as the arrow keys that you use, so it should not matter that the keys have letters instead of arrows.

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 3:56pm
Thanks for the reply forrest74. If you look at my OP, I mentioned I ABHOR the WASD config. A big reason for this is that, just like this PinPie rig, there is no way to index where you are on the keys. It's just too easy to get your fingers on the wrong keys without having to look.

With the arrow keys, it's very tactile, similar to having the bumps on the "f" and "j" keys. They let you know where you are. I can locate my hand on the arrow keys just by feel and thereby also know what keys are surrounding my fingers.

I've looked and have seen all the "one handed keyboards" the internet has to offer. I really have been looking for quite some time. I even toyed with trying to use 2 num pad keyboards and combine them with an arrow key pad, but couldn't make it work out.

So I've come to the conclusion that I am going to make this. What I require is someone with the expertise to assist.
Timeless View Drop Down

Quote Timeless Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:58pm
sandpaper600, perhaps you are overlooking the ability to modify the WASD keys. I use a Corsair STRAFE RGB gaming keyboard and it came with a replacement set of WASD keycaps that are textured and shaped to keep ones fingers over them. I am sure there are many other keyboards that offer the same or similar.

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:09am
Hi Timeless,
Unfortunately, it isn't just the WASD keys themselves (which also suck due to the "w" not being above the "s"....but maybe that's my OCD), it's that my computer table is small and it would help to have more room to move the mouse during gaming.

Also, if you notice on the setup I wish to build, I would have easy access to 42 keys, not including the arrow keys. That's something you just can't get on the WASD end of the keyboard.

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 12:14am
I want to thank everyone that replied to my post on this forum. I appreciate the time and trouble taken to give me info that might help.

I have found someone on another forum who has pointed me in the direction of another individual willing to help me with this project.

If there is a forum admin that locks topics, you may consider this one closed.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 1:59am
Good luck and if you do get it built or find what you look, come by and show us. It is an interesting concept. Big%20Smile

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 6:02pm
Unfortunately, my health has taken a bit of a turn, so this has to go on the back burner for a bit. I just got out of the hospital for the 2nd time in 3 months and have a bit of a trail to travel before I can focus on this.

Edited by Snaike - 26 Jan 2019 at 3:24am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 12:21am
Sorry to read about your health. Hope you have a solid recovery. 

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:57pm
I thought I would touch back here, seeing as there is still interest in this. As the world ended in 2020 I was diagnosed as having late-onset cystic fibrosis. At this point my situation prevents me from getting this project even started.

It really seems like life is sticking a cruel sword here, as currently my days are spent sitting at the computer, gaming to escape my own reality. I still have to use the same KB as always & it drives me apesh*t.

I hope someone is able to springboard off my idea and, who knows, maybe even make it a viable product for sale. I would be your first customer. Big%20Smile

Take care everyone. Take every chance you are given. Life is short.

Mark (Sandpaper600)

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 2:33am
Have you ever looked at "split keyboards"? My son uses one and is very happy with it. Kinesis-ergo.com has a few as do others.

Very sorry to hear about your latest medical journey. Good luck in all.

Edited by hoserator - 15 Oct 2021 at 2:35am

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 5:25pm
@hoserator...I have. I also have thought about using 2 of those num pads as a jumping off point, but decided the whole thing would be better custom buit rather than trying to adapt someone else's work.

The main points about the keypad I want are:

1) size - While the split keyboard somewhat addresses this issue, both pieces of the KB have to be used together. I guess you could hang one of the halfs over the side of the table, but not ideal.

2) I want to get away from the keys being in a "brick" pattern. Instead my ideal pad would have the keys aligned in columns/rows.

3) Isolated set of arrow keys. A must have for me. Even now using a full KB, I can't stand/don"t use a KB that has other keys around the arrow keys.

I appreciate all the input about hardware currently out there. Trust me when I say I have made an exhaustive search of products offered around the world  have yet to see anything I would consider.

When I get my condition under control, I am going to make this build happen...if it's the last thing I do. (But I hope it isn't, I want to be around to use the thing!)

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 12:04am
Not to necro an old post, but since it was started by me, I think I'm allowed. I came back after all this time to let you guys know, I finally did it! I got the keypad of my dreams made.

I'm calling it "The Keyster" (pun intended) Big%20Smile

I’m not going to post heavily here, but if you want to see more, including my build notes, a short vid, plus a bonus shot of the back plate, check me out here:

https://keysterbuild.blogspot.com/2022/ ... yster.html

Thanks!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 5:08am
No prob updating an old post. I remember being bummed you couldn't find a solution just right for you, and I, for one, am pleased you have done it.

Now having viewed your process, I am thoroughly impressed with your concept, design, and problem solving. Thank you sooo much for sharing! What a fantastic effort!! You gotta so pleased!           
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 1:32pm
So very glad to see you are still giving it all. Smile

As to your project, WOW, super impressive work and write up. Strong

I love your didactic description of the steps you took and humor. Kept me reading and smiling throughout.

Congratulations! Awesome

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 3:07am
Thanks guys. I had a wonderful time doing this project. I'm almost sorry it's over. If my wife finds out how much money I spent on the build, it will probably really be over! Upset
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 4:47am

I, too, appreciated that didactic stuff. I just didn't realize it in the moment. I should strive for greater sentient vigilance.   

Quote sandpaper600 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 1:29pm
^ +1

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:33am

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply