Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Triplebooya View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Triplebooya Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming/Media rig help
    Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:29am
Budget:
Around 3k, less is better but willing to spend a bit to get a high end machine.

Expectations:
Looking for a high end machine that runs well on a 1440p gsync monitor. Would like to use for multiple purposes.

Usage:
Gaming/capturing gaming, media usage such as graphic design, photography and video editing, also eventually VR though I don't have a rig yet, but will in near future.

Special Needs:
Looking for a fairly quiet computer without gaming aesthetics, as my wife will be sharing this and isn't fond of flashy lights and what not.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair RM750x (Fully Modular)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 10:39am
Hi Triplebooya.. Real nice build with the excellent 8700k cpu and 1080TI card.    I would however make a couple of changes if the budget allows.

Change the DS M.2 drive to the 960 Pro or at least the EVO.  The Pro has better performance and a 5 year warranty.  The EVO has a 3 year warranty.   The DS brand is an unknown, although I have no doubt its good, and the warranty is whatever your system warranty is.  Your primary drive should be as good as you can get.

Change the DS branded cooler to the H115i.  Again, a 5 year warranty and its rated very good.   Without overclocking the 8700k you could get the 120mm cooler you selected or even the Stage 1 Air cooler.  The air cooler leaves little to go wrong, no pump, fluid, etc but might run a few degrees warmer.  Warmer by a few degrees has no effect on performance or longevity.  

Hope this helps and good luck.  Big%20Smile

Quote Triplebooya Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 11:01am
This spec would be better than the first?

Chassis Model: Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q
Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair RM750x (Fully Modular)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110i GT - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 11:51am
Not sure you realize it, maybe you do, but you went from a M.2 drive to the SATA SDD drive.     M.2 is about 4x faster than the older SATA drives.   That said, you might not even see the difference in read write speeds depending on your usage. With your video editing, graphics work I would keep a M.2 drive, unless you don’t think it matters. Let’s face it, the “older” SSD is still very fast compared to the older HDD platter drives.

The cooler is a step up and very good.    We mention the H115 I because reviews treat it somewhat better, but both work

Quote Triplebooya Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 12:11pm
I see now, yeah I just selected wrong, you were referring to 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)

And I switched out to the H115 as well. Everything else looks good though? I didn't know if I was getting too excessive anywhere where I would be paying a lot more for not much performance, or is it all pretty much worth it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:28pm
The only possible excess is the 1080ti for 1440p.   But the gtx 1080 isn’t available and if you go to 144hz monitor the faster card might come in handy.   

Looks good.   
 Post Reply Post Reply