FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gaming on PC

Post Date: 2012-02-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kane860 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming on PC
    Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 9:35am
Decided to start a new thread about this.  As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have just started to expand my PC gaming.  Up until recently, the only game I played on PC was FSX and I play everything else on the PS3.. my fav games are the call of duty series, grand theft auto 4, resident evil, etc.  The first game I started playing recently, aside from FSX, has been Grand Theft Auto 4 and I have been using the XBOX Wireless Controller meant for Windows.  It works great and I have been enjoying the game a lot with this controller. 

I just downloaded Battlefield 2 from Amazon as it was only $4.99 last night so I figured I'd try it out since it was cheap.  I already have BF2 and BF3 for PS3 but I wanted to see what the PC game play was like.  So I just started the game and I am disappointed to see that I dont see any option for me to be able to play with my XBOX controller.  Is this true?  When I downloaded the game, the description on amazon said I could use a keypad so I figured the XBOX controller would be fine but it doesnt seem to work and I dont see any options for it.  If I cant play Battlefield with a controller, I pretty much just wasted $4.99 then because I absolutely hate playing games with a keyboard and mouse.  Anyone know for sure if this game cannot be used with the xbox controller?  And how am I supposed to know which games will use it and which will not? 
System:
HAF X942 / i7 3930k 6-core cpu / ASUS P9x79 Deluxe MOBO
16gb DS ram / Corsair 1050HX PSU / Two - Intel 320 series 120gb SSD's
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD / GTX570 2.5gb GPU / Noctua D14 Cooler
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 3:29pm
sooooooo ... anyone?? Scared
System:
Sgt.Moore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sgt.Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 3:38pm
Sorry bud I can't help you heh. I was born and raised on Atari and had almost every console system since but after going to keyboard and mouse I find it impossibly slow and unresponsive when I play my PS3 version of Battlefield. So I'm the opposite of you hehe.

That being said it sure doesn't seem right with today's technology and growing PC gaming community that such a simple feature as a controller wouldn't work for every game out there...
"RLTW"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 3:53pm
Hey Kane....wish I could help ya.    I'm a keyboard/mouse kinds guy and have little experience with controllers with Pc.    Like Sgt. Moore, l cut my teeth on Atari, Commodore 64 and TI-99 and since Pc kinda like the change.    Must be a generation thing

Edited by bprat22 - 16 Feb 2012 at 3:54pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 4:35pm
Hi Kane,

Glad to see you are still trying to expand your horizons.

BF2 has settings for a Joy Stick. Have you tried to use them for your controller?

Frank
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 4:36pm
BFBC2 doesn't have native support for a controller. You can configure it but that's a pita. The best thing about FPS gaming on a PC is the keyboard and mouse IMHO. Try it for a while. You won't wanna go back.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 5:04pm
thanks guys, thats terrible news for me that it does not have native support for a controller, but I guess I am willing to give the keyboard/mouse a chance at least... I still think its ridiculous to not even at least give us the option to play with a controller..

@Frank:  I will see if I can somehow configure the joystick controls for the xbox controller but the game does not even recognize the controller so I am not sure how I'd go about even doing this. 
System:
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 5:05pm
also today when I tested out BF2 for the first time on PC, I couldnt even figure out how to Melee... the screen kep telling me to push "MMB" .... wtf is MMB lol
System:
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 5:16pm
Middle Mouse Button????
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Middle Mouse Button????

Bingo Big%20Smile
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 7:40pm
but my mouse doesnt even have a middle button Confused
System:
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 8:05pm
It's probably it's default setting. You are going to have to take the time and set all your key bindings.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 3:28am
kane...your scroll wheel doesn't click when pushed?  That's usually it.
chasblock View Drop Down

Quote chasblock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 3:32am
If you're going to play with a mouse and keyboard, a gaming mouse is essential equipment. I'm using an older Logitech G9, I love it. It's held up for well over 4 years, and Logitech is still supporting it.

Get a razr, logitech, or I think Saitek makes gaming mice. Expect to shell out 60 dollars at least. Go to Best Buy or someplace first and try them out... they definitely have a different feel from a standard mouse.

Don't give up right away on keyboard and mouse, it does take getting used to.

Before I started with the atari consoles, I had a Fairchild  ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Channel_F) . I guess that kind of reveals my age. Confused%20Wink
Sgt.Moore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Sgt.Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 5:03am
Razer Naga is the end all be all of gaming mice, period Awesome
"RLTW"
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 5:14am
IMHO you don't NEED a gaming mouse. But I have been using the Logitech G700 for a while now and it's great for FPS and MMO with 14 buttons and it goes wireless. The battery is a rechargeable AA battery so it can be easily replaced.
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by bprat22

kane...your scroll wheel doesn't click when pushed?  That's usually it.

I do have a push wheel on my mouse and I did try it when the screen said to push the MMB button but it did not work so I am not sure.

I guess I will give the keyboard and mouse config a chance at least since you guys all seem to think its better than a game controller, which at this point I just dont see how I will eventually agree with this, but I am willing to give it a shot.  Also I definitely wont be purchasing a gaming mouse unless I did eventually get use to it and started liking it Ninja
System:
kane860 View Drop Down

Quote kane860 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 8:16pm
update:  I have been trying to play BF2 with mouse and keyboard... so far, I am not enjoying it  Confused ... I will keep trying to get use to it but I a really not enjoying the game play this way. 

Let me ask you guys... how can customers figure out which games will be compatible with the XBOX controller or not?  When I go to a store and look at the game, the back of the box doesnt really tell me anything about controllers and which ones will work. Battlefield 2 only says "gamepad" but the only thing that seems to work is a joystick.. im not really interested in playing a war game with a flight style joystick. 

Does modern warfare 2 work with XBOX controller? 
System:
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:20pm
Well "gamepad" should mean it works with a controller it could just be that the 360 controller is not being recognized by the game.

What helps me in all games, FPS and everything else, is a special left hand keyboard called the Razer Nostromo. There are tons of them out there, like the Logitech G13 referred to by various names and some are even built right into actual keyboards like the Z-Board.

I first bought the old Belkin n52 a little of 6 years ago when I got my previous computer. I could not stand playing games on a regular keyboard due to the button layout and the ergonomics of the board. When I got my new DS system i had to upgrade to the latest version now called the Razer Nostromo in order to work with Win7.

Belkin first teamed up with Razer a few years ago and their hybrid creating the n5te "powered by Razer" was a failure so I never switched to it. Razer has since bought full rights to the item from Belkin and fixed the design and it's great.

The reason why I like it so much is it's formed to actually fit the shape of your hand, you are not left with a pressure point on your wrist while you awkwardly try to find the keys.

With a standard keyboard you can rest your hand for the traditional AWSD layout but with the buttons being off center you can find yourself pressing the wrong keys. Or you can slid your keyboard over and use the Num pad but that leaves you with a lack of usable keys that are in reach with out moving your hand.

So that's why I use my Nostromo. Fits my entire hand so it rests more comfortably on my palm. I have 14 easy to reach buttons, all lined up, for my fingers as well as a d-pad that I actually use as just 8 additional buttons for my thumb. (When you look at the pic you will see a thumb stick on the d-pad. The thumb stick is removable)

Many people try to use the d-pad on the Nostromo like a normal d-pad to move around with and they end up hatting it. When I tell them to set the regular keys for Fwd, Rev, Right and Left and then use the d-pad as normal buttons they end up loving it. For example in FPS games the d-pad is set to 1-8 to select my weapons, which leaves the other 14 keys to be my movement keys and what ever else I want.

It has it's own program that you set the key binds to what ever you want. You can set them to single keys or you can program macros. Back in my CS days I used to program one of the buttons to work as a burst fire macro to give me a burst fire on any gun. Program the key to same fire key I have set in game and set it to for one at time, three times in a row, 0.3 second a part, break for 1 second then repeat. It would keep firing until I pressed it a second time to stop.

Post Reply Post Reply