Post Date: 2012-08-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ymbert View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ymbert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Gaming System Advice
    Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 6:37pm
OK, trying to build a system that'll mainly be used for gaming.  My monitor is ~22 inches and I have a 2.1 speaker system, so nothing too taxing there.  System will mainly be used for gaming.  Basically the gaming runs the spectrum, MMOs, FPS, etc.  I've never really messed with overclocking before, so that isn't high on my concerns list.  I'd like it to be as quiet as possible, but again, not really a sticking point.  So here is the build I've got right now, any advice would be appreciated.  Not really sure about the motherboard, and just the general configuration of how everything works together.  I'd like to keep it around the ~$2.5k mark, but if anyone has any suggestions on maybe reallocating (less RAM for something else?  Etc) that'd be greatly appreciated.  Oh, and I wasn't sure about the cooling...never dealt with a liquid cooling system before.  Is the AIR 2 comparable to the liquid?  I mainly picked the AIR 2 because fans are more familiar.
Thanks in advance.
Ticket #714377

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair 600T <b></b>
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard) <b></b>
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Higher Overclocks and Unique Wi-Fi Features) <b></b>
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance) <b></b>
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material) <b></b>
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking <b></b>
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 9:17am
Hi Ymbert.......  Welcome to the forums.

That is a real nice build you put together.  For your budget I would suggest checking out the ODE level 4 which had a sli, 2x gtx670 to max out anything you throw at that monitor. 

If you want to keep a custom config because of the larger SSD and HDD and you don't like a white 600T case in the ODE then here's a config to look at.

Config # 714567     Cost   $ 2209

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair 600T
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

I dropped the cpu to the i5-3570k  to save some money.  The 3770 is a better cpu but for strickly gaming the 3570 is all you need.

The sabertooth mobo will also save you money and has a 5 year warranty vs 3 year for most others.  Unless you want the WiFi feature of the Deluxe then the sabertooth is all you need.

You only need 8GB of ram for gaming.  16GB doesn't hurt but for the most part in games will not be needed.

I do like the Noctua D14 cooler better than the ODE 4's Vortex 240mm cooler for tops in reliability.  The Vortex is nice and has a good track record but the D14 leaves little to go wrong. 

I dropped the noise suppression package.  Just wasted money in my opinion.

I put in stage 1 overclocking.  No sense having a great cooler like the D14 if no oc.  Stage 2 is also very do-able but I left it at stage 1 because of your doubts.

The air cooler and the Vortex 240mm cooler both use fans for cooling.  The D14 has a big block of fins the fans blow through and the Vortex has a 240mm radiator the fans blow through.

This config with the price chopping does give you room to add a sli, 2x 670 like the ODE 4 for about another $80 over your config, I believe.  The single gtx670 will play most games maxed with good fps, and other games like BF3, etc on high settings .  High settings is great gaming so the single 670 migjht be all you need. 

If you went to the sli 670 then the 1050HX psu for more money would be better.  The 800w does work but doesn't leave much headroom.

For the money you can't beat the ODE 4, but the custom does give you more flexibility to add different coolers, HDD, SSD, etc.

Hope this helps and good luck.Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 02 Aug 2012 at 9:24am
Ymbert View Drop Down

Quote Ymbert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 6:15pm
Hey, so first of all, thanks a bunch for the feedback, I appreciate it.  Sorry for the slow response, was out of town for the weekend.
Couple follow up questions:  PSU wise, looking at the upgrades, the "1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)" is actually cheaper than the 1050 option...but it looks like the 1050 is more energy efficient.  And the 1000 gold is slightly more expensive but more efficient than the 1050 (gold vs silver).  That is really the only spec I know to look at on PSUs :P  Between the 3, I'd be more inclined to support the most efficient one, and if the 750W PSU could technically cut the mustard, it seems like the 1000W should be more than enough...Is that sound logic?  Or is the 1050 better than the 1000 for some other reason?
And I'm still kind of on the fence about the ODE.  I do like the value, and the case actually, but the case lighting + overclocking are knocks against it for me.  The overclocking is probably the bigger concern...My computer room is the hottest in the house, and the idea of having to monitor temps and stuff just seems like an added stressor.  I'm an...anxious person, so I'd rather have something I just don't have to worry about at all :P  But yeah, I'm still considering it...The RAM and PSU are scaled back a bit compared to my current build, but for like $300-$400 I'm thinking it is worth it in that respect. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 4:57am
For the psu I would stick with the 1050HX if you plan on sli graphic cards.   The Silverstone is also good and the 1000w more than enough but the HX has a 7 year warranty compared to 3 year for Silverstone.  Less money and longer warranty means the HX for me.  

The Digital Storm 1200w is overkill and isn't the quality of the Hx.  If you plan just a single card , the 750Hx is all you need.  Tests I have seen show the 750HX is all you need even for sli, but my old-school habit and playing it safe says at least 1000w . 

Overclocking does generate more heat.  You could keep it at stage 1.  I think DS will drop it to stage 1 on the ODE 4.    You always have the option to disable oc'ing in Bios, a few clicks of the mouse, if you wanted.   The lighting is cold cathode and LED on the fans, so little or no heat there.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck.Big%20Smile
Ymbert View Drop Down

Quote Ymbert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:19pm
Ah, the warranty is a good point, thanks.  1050 it is if I go that route.
Didn't realize the OCing was that easy to disable, was leaning towards the custom but now back to mulling it over :P
Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:33pm
When DS oc's they save it in a Custom Profile so you can load Default profile in Bios   or a similar name whenever.     It is a nice option to have.
Ymbert View Drop Down

Quote Ymbert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2012 at 1:47pm
Oooh, so I could switch it off during the summer months and enable it again when it cools down?  That makes it a lot more tempting.
 Post Reply Post Reply