FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting back into PC gaming rig

Post Date: 2016-11-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pharmx View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pharmx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Getting back into PC gaming rig
    Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 7:57pm
Budget:
$2000 to $3000 not including any accessories

Expectations:
1440p gaming on max settings now, upgradeable to 4k gaming/VR in the future

Usage:
Primarily for gaming, mostly MMORPG's and FPS

Special Needs:
Fast system that can play a variety of games on max settings. Would like max stable processor and GPU overclock

Saved Ticket #: 1526553

Specifications:
Played around with the configurator and could use some advice. Looked at the Apollo and Velox builds even though I'm not totally sold on either of those cases. The monitor I plan on getting for this setup is the Acer Predator XB271HU, and eventually a 4k monitor in a dual monitor setup.

Haven't decided whether it would be better to do the processor and GPU OC myself or pay the fee to have DS do it. I plan on making the jump to 4k once the 1080ti card and the 120hz 4k monitors come out. As far as motherboards go, would it be worthwhile upgrading to one of the more expensive options such as the maximus hero or deluxe?

Left the cooling at DS vortex, thoughts? Would the slight bump in price to upgrade to Corsair be worth it, or the more expensive bump to Hydrolux lite be a serious option to consider?

Thanks in advance everyone, trying to decide between DS and 2 other "boutique" builders, all who have roughly the same $$ for the components I'm looking for in a build. I must say though having a forum of like minded users in addition to the usual technical support is a huge bonus.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 3:49am
Either the Apollo, Corsair 760T, or Velox will work.   The Velox does offer better air flow cooling but your build is fine with Apollo. Keep in mind that the Apollo has a left facing window and Velox a right facing window.   Your desk setup might sway you.

The Pro mobo is also very good and all most need. A higher end board is if you see in the specs something you need, like WIFI, easier oc, etc.   

I would go Corsair, the 115i over the DS branded.   Warranty on their cooler might expire after the 2 year parts with them. Corsair you'd get the manufacturers warranty beyond DS. Reviews on the h115i seem to be better than the 240mm ones, but not sure.

Hydrolux Pro is tops and the best option if you'll be pushing the overclock and for a quieter rig, but, you also inherit maintenance and tougher to work on.

Hope this helps.

pharmx View Drop Down

Quote pharmx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 7:53pm
Thank you bpratt22 for your insight. This is what I finally went with:

- Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 1527424 (Config # 1527424) - Quantity: 1 - Price: $3,054.00
- -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $100 (Config # 1527424) - Quantity: 1 - Price: ($100.00)
- -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME 1 YEAR WARRANTY UPGRADE ($99 VALUE) (Config # 1527424) - Quantity: 1 - Price: $0.00
- -- FREE Intel Bundle - Warhammer: Vermintide + Tom Clancy: Rainbow Six Siege (Digital Codes) (Config # 1527424) - Quantity: 1 - Price: $0.00

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 960 PRO) (NVM Express) (BACKORDERED ETA End of November)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (EVGA ACX 3.0) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature (Restore Windows + Drivers) (Partition up to 50GB of Storage)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I took your recommendation on maintenance free cooler upgrade, bumped up the PSU for future proofing, and hopefully made the right choice on components such as the graphics card.

Now the waiting begins!

I guess now is as good as time as any to ask for recommendations on accessories. I've pretty much decided on what I want as far as monitors go, but still need to get a good mouse/keyboard. Are there any clear cut, must have, top of the line options as far as those go, keeping in mind mmorpg/FPS gaming will be the primary use case scenario?
 Post Reply Post Reply