FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good cooling case that isn't HAF 942 X

Post Date: 2012-05-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ronlamb View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ronlamb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Good cooling case that isn't HAF 942 X
    Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:16pm
I have been playing around with configurations, waiting to see how the gtx 670 rates before I pull the trigger.  I am pretty well locked in to my config for my price range.  One of the areas I am stuck at is the case.

The build I have been playing around with is the Epoch.  I don't like the looks of the stock Corsair Carbide 300R and want a good cooling case.  The HAF 942 X is a full tower case.  I haven't had a full tower in years, and don't want to go back to that size.  If there was a HAF 922 I would probably choose that, but since there isn't here are four I am considering:

Corsair 600T.  I like the looks of the case, and the integrated fan controller.
Corsair 650D.  Case is a bit bland, but the raised feet may help with airflow.
Corsair 500R.  Really nice looking case,
SilverStorm Raven 2.  Nice looking case, and like the 650D raised feet.

I'll be ordering sometime in June, and will be posting my build for some critique.
BF3Addict View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote BF3Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:21am
The HAF X is the best air cooled case which is why it's recommended so often.  Coolermaster has just released the HAF XM which is very similar but is a mid-tower case.  It gives all the same advantages as the full tower but with less height.

Edited by BF3Addict - 06 May 2012 at 10:22am
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:50am
Welcome to the forums ronlamb.
The HAF XM would be a really nice case but DS currently doesn't stock it.  Of the cases you listed I would go with the 600T or 650D.  This is based on fan size and placement.

3 of the 4 cases have top exhaust fans and this is where the heat goes.

Both the 600T and 650D have a front 200mm intake fan, a 200mm top exhaust fan and a 120mm rear exhaust fan.  The Raven 2 has 3 - 180mm intake fans at the bottom of the case and a 120mm exhaust fan at the top. 

The 200mm fans in the Corsairs will move more air than the 120mm fan in the Raven.  Also the Corsair cases have dust filters.  I have had a Corsair 800D case for over 2 years and the filter in my case keeps almost all the dust out. 

I hope that helps.   
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Post Reply Post Reply