FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got the new PC, one issue though

Post Date: 2015-10-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dedshark View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dedshark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Got the new PC, one issue though
    Posted: 03 Oct 2015 at 6:53pm
So I got my new pc from Digital Storm and it's amazing. I really like it so far, it's blown games away at high settings and looks fantastic. The only issue I have is no SSD :( I initially had an order for an SSD and submitted everything through but was told by a DS employee that the mobo I picked had been having issues with builds so I decided to call in to get that changed and while I was doing that I thought hmmm that SSD is gonna look goofy in an all black case with everything else black and then boom a big shiny metal SSD so I thought I would get the black version if it was available and the lady was really nice I spoke with and said she could change that. I didn't realize i'd be going to a HDD though. So I guess I should ask is an SSD that big of a difference especially for gaming? I have a 256gb in my old PC I could swipe and toss in this new pc if it's worth it.
Zoofro View Drop Down

Quote Zoofro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 7:54am
Load times for games can be increased with an SSD also having the Operating System loaded onto an SSD can help with booting up your computer. I would say if you're hurting on money with your new purchase to not worry too much about it but if you are a min/maxer then I suggest getting an SSD.
Apollo
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX
512GB Samsung 850 PRO
2TB Western Digital
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
jackbutler68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:24am
The HDD on my work computer crashed a few months ago and I replaced it with a 500gig SSD. It is my first computer with an SSD and now I will never go back to an HDD for my main drive....lol.

That is why I splurged for the 1TB SSD in my gaming system.
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 11:15am
Hi Dedshark,

I would highly recommend adding an SSD to your system, it's worth it. I suggest at least 250GB unit, if possible, go with a 500GB.
Dedshark View Drop Down

Quote Dedshark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Alex

Hi Dedshark,

I would highly recommend adding an SSD to your system, it's worth it. I suggest at least 250GB unit, if possible, go with a 500GB.

Is their a way to copy all my stuff from my current HDD to an SSD easily so I can just basically plug and go? Or am I better off just installing one and wiping hard drives and installing windows on it?
Dedshark View Drop Down

Quote Dedshark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 8:08am
Also am I able to add a PCI-E SSD? I have 2x gtx 980 ti's in there now taking up two slots. I was thinking of this one http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-3-5-Inch-MZ-N5E500BW/dp/B00TGIW1XG/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444144121&sr=1-4&keywords=PCIE+ssd

Edited by Dedshark - 06 Oct 2015 at 8:09am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Dedshark

Originally posted by Alex

Hi Dedshark,

Is their a way to copy all my stuff from my current HDD to an SSD easily so I can just basically plug and go? Or am I better off just installing one and wiping hard drives and installing windows on it?

You can clone the HDD to the SSD, giving you a mirror image of the HDD, OS and all.  Acronis is excellent but a lot of SSD's come with cloning/migration software to accomplish it.  Some you download from their site the software needed.  My Western Digital HDD allows fee Acronis for cloning and it was simple and quick. 

Make sure you new SSD has at least the used capacity of the old HDD for cloning the whole drive.    

Or, just load the OS from disc onto the new drive and start fresh.   Copying some programs and games from one drive to another, other than cloning, can cause issues.  

If you clone the new drive,, make sure to power down, unplug the old drive and boot with the new at first so OS knows which drive to use on booting.  Then you can hook up the old one and wipe it, delete, etc.   
Dedshark View Drop Down

Quote Dedshark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 8:41am
I'm gonna go with the Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB. Do I need any special cables or anything? Hopefully I can just plug it in and clone my HDD and then unplug the HDD to boot from new SSD. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 9:06am
Mount the new SSD into the sleds, hook up the power cable from psu, run another SATA cable from SSD to mobo, turn back on and fire up the cloning software.   The extra cable is another SATA cable needed.   Might have extras in the accessory box that DS sent. 

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 9:19am
Dedshark View Drop Down

Quote Dedshark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:27pm
So I finally got a program to clone my 500 gb SSD I had to shrink the 1tb HDD down to get it to work. The only issue now is that I can not access disk management anymore. It says an internal error has occurred and I need to re-load the snap in. Each time I try to reload it or anything like that it doesn't help, I wanna format the old HDD and expand it again but can't get into disk management to do anything.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 2:48am
Did you unplug the old HDD before rebooting.?    If not then shut it down, remove old HDD, Sata to mobo, reboot .    You can also go into Bios to check that your new SSD is first in boot order.

Good luck.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 3:01am
After booting without the old HDD for the first time you can remount the older drive ,reboot and use it. Windows needs to know initially which identical drive to use for OS.
Dedshark View Drop Down

Quote Dedshark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 5:57am
Originally posted by bprat22

After booting without the old HDD for the first time you can remount the older drive ,reboot and use it. Windows needs to know initially which identical drive to use for OS.

It's booting from the new SSD as it's way faster when booting, I chose it in the boot priority between the two hard drives. I'd like to be able to expand the old drive and format it since it finally cloned to the new SSD but always get that error like a ton when I try to do disk management. I guess I can try to physically disconnect the HDD and reconnect.
Dedshark View Drop Down

Quote Dedshark Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 2:18pm
So I removed the HDD and went solely with the new SSD and it booted fine and everything works great but disk management is still jacked up. Still gives me that error like 5-10 times in a row after clicking it and it won't show any hdds or ssds in there after all the errors. The 1 TB HDD I re-plugged in shows up fine and the SSD does as well underr my computer and everything else seems to work alright so maybe I shouldn't even bother with disk management.
jackbutler68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 2:26pm
If you have your Windows disc you could run a repair and see if it fixes the problem. I have had to do that before and it seemed to work fine fixing a booting issue I had.
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
 Post Reply Post Reply