FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPU OC'ing very anemic.

Post Date: 2017-03-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
soccastar001 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote soccastar001 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: GPU OC'ing very anemic.
    Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:40am
Has anyone else purchased the GPU overclock service and found it really lacking?

I recently purchased a Digital Storm machine and paid the extra money to have them overclock my GPU.  I was very disappointed to receive my system, which uses a water block to cool the single GPU by the way, and find MSI Afterburner showing just a +50MHz offset on the core clock.  No voltage or memory clock changes whatsoever.

I know how to overclock myself but I paid extra for it because I didn't want to spend the time it takes to adjust and stress test it myself.  I know a water cooled GPU that hits under 40 degrees at full load can be pushed past a +50MHz core offset.

I feel like my money was stolen from me and even worse my time because now I have to spend the time overclocking it myself which I was hoping to save by buying this service instead of gaming.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:55am
DS has always been very conservative in their gpu overclocking.  That's one of the reasons I usually recommend not selecting it when I help with configs.    Better to do it yourself which is fairly easy with Afterburner, Precision or the card's software or just leave it stock.    Stress testing it yourself if you wanted to push it is the biggest turn off for most. 

Big%20Smile

Quote soccastar001 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 10:02am
Exactly, like you said, doing it is easy, just time consuming to bump up by 50MHz or what have you, running a stress test, rinse, repeat.

I thought I paid $50 to start gaming when I get my rig, very disappointed.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 1:18pm
I'm sorry that our overclocking was not as high as you would have liked.

I have issued a $45 refund on your order which you should see reflected on Affirm in the next few days. This is the price you paid for the GPU overclocking service.

Other than that, I hope you are enjoying your new PC.

Quote soccastar001 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 1:21pm
Thank you very much Alex/Digital Storm.  I have been very happy with the machine otherwise and have also been very pleased with your customer service.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 1:23pm
Glad to hear!
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by soccastar001

Exactly, like you said, doing it is easy, just time consuming to bump up by 50MHz or what have you, running a stress test, rinse, repeat.I thought I paid $50 to start gaming when I get my rig, very disappointed.

In my opinion, overclocking a video card doesn't make much sense to me and adds the potential of being detrimental to the overall lifespan of the card itself unless you're willing to spend more money for a higher end cooling system for it, which in turn raises the question: is the extra money for the small performance boost really worth it vs. buying a higher spec video card?
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 3:00am
I've been trying to get Alex to hire me for years to come in and do their overclocking for them. But he refuses.

;) #kappa
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply