FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GTX 1070 underperforming?

Post Date: 2017-04-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TiMTaM View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TiMTaM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: GTX 1070 underperforming?
    Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 5:16pm
Hey guys,
I installed a GTX 1070 into my PC a couple weeks ago, and I have noticed a slight improvement in some games, however, upgrading from my GTX 770 hasn't been as big of an improvement as I expected. I have the Vanquish 2 level 4, CPU is i5-4590. I just wanted to know if anyone may know why?

An example of some of the issues I am having are lowish FPS in games that I would have expected to see much higher fps in. My friend has the same GPU as me, (only has a slightly better CPU) and yet he usually has at least 40-50FPS higher than me in the same games, I don't understand what the issue could be. In games like Dishonored 2, Far Cry 4 and Vermintide, at times I will get below 60 FPS on Ultra. I'm not sure if I was just expecting too much from the card, and overestimated the amount of FPS increase I would see, but IDK. It just doesn't seem to have improved my FPS a majority of the time..

I did a Furmark Benchmark to help show my GPU's ability. http://prntscr.com/ew78tc (Score is 5895), I have seen higher scores than this coming out of people with the same GPU, including people with the same CPU as me. I have tried reinstalling drivers which did not help. Anyone have any ideas, would greatly appreciate some insight, thank you!!

*Just a PS: I don't want to sound like there hasn't been an improvement over my 770, there has been, however, I just want to know if there is anything I can do to improve my performance, or if my CPU may be bottle-necking my GPU slightly. Or if I have just slightly overestimated the performance boost I was going to get from my upgrade.

Edited by TiMTaM - 13 Apr 2017 at 6:06pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 2:33am
There is a post here somewhere (not in a place I can look right now) that lists my before and after benchmarks between the 770 and 1070. I am getting more than double the performance with the 1070.

I am only saying that as anecdotal evidence that the Vanquish 2 level 4 should be kicking bottom with the i5-4590.

So, I'm only going to ask one simple question and please do not take offense; are you certain you have the monitor plugged into the card? The 1070 I received had all ports covered by plastic caps.

I only ask because that is the only fix I know. But then again, I'm not one of the smart folks who know all about troubleshooting. (We're not going to talk about my recent adventure with a 3 year old game and why I had to sit through an 8hour download 3 times before I realized the problem was a 45 second fix )

Anyway, it can be done, it is glorious and we'll help get you figured out.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 3:18am
If Snaikes advice doesn't do it, try checking the temps on your gpu with HMWONITOR.    Probably not that but good to check anyways. If temps get into the 90s C you could get throttling.   

Reload with different drivers, making sure to check clean install.

Go to Nvidia Control Panel, 3D settings and disable Vsync.   

Your new 1070 should be "smoking" those games.
TiMTaM View Drop Down

Quote TiMTaM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 6:15am
It's no problem lol, but yeah it's plugged into the gpu, I'm positive. Secondly, my gpu temps never have gotten above 72ish degrees Celsius as I already have hwmonitor.

Snaike my furmark score is 5895 I looked at your post yours went from 2852 to a score of 6008.

Idk how much a 113 score difference is, and I don't want to come across as annoying, just want to make sure I'm getting as much power from my gpu as I should be. :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 7:48am
You certainly are not annoying.  Legit concern.

If your friend is willing, swap cards with him and see if the problem travels with the card.  That'll narrow it down to the 1070 or a setting in your rig.

Big%20Smile

TiMTaM View Drop Down

Quote TiMTaM Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 9:54am
Unfortunately he lives out of state right now so this would be difficilt. :/
 Post Reply Post Reply