FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help choosing build please! (Art & Gaming pc)

Post Date: 2016-06-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help choosing build please! (Art & Gaming pc)
    Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:10pm
Budget:

Around 1700-2000

Usage:

I'm an illustrator, animator and designer as well as gamer. I need a machine that can run multiple programs smoothly (Such as Maya, Adobe Animate CC and Photoshop for example) but my husband and I also play videogames so we'd like a machine capable of playing games at decent quality.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and am looking into buying a machine from Digital Storm. Our last machine was bought when we lived in the UK and is very out of date (Early 2011 machine) so we really need to upgrade as I find it's seriously starting to struggle with larger photoshop illustrations (upping the RAM to 16 helped a little) and my husband was playing X Com 2 the other day and it was really chugging haha. We have Xbone and PS4 so haven't really used the pc to game for a while, but i'd like a new machine that is a lot more formidable than the current one for future gaming needs!

I was looking into the Vanquish 5 and tweaking certain details like upping the RAM to 32gig, upping the processor and graphics card (although a friend has told me to wait for a week or so for the new 1070?) but really as someone with limited knowledge about PC builds I thought it best to ask in here and see if anyone could show me a correct build for our needs (factoring in the need for programs to run smoothly and not just for gaming purposes)

Any help at will would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 2:39pm
your budget is going to make it difficult to reach a 6, 8, or 10-core cpu but any of those would be ideal (for the work that you do) over a 4-core cpu.  32GB of system memory is a good amount (16GB min.).  it really all boils down to speed and how many different workloads/apps you're running at one time.  now, the 5820k (6-core) cpu is slightly more expensive than 6700k (4-core) so you might spring for it.  i've seen rendering/editing tests done with it compared to Xeon 10-core procs and it does a really good job.  

what do you plan to do about storage?  do you have large external storage options?  or do you need/want to include that internally?  i'd opt for a fast ssd for your OS+games and rendering/editing work you are currently working on and large (4TB units) external drives (which are quite cheap comparatively) for long term storage.  perhaps you can find room for a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro in your budget?   

i'd wait until DS has the new vid cards up as well.  a 1070 will work really well in your build.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 3:11pm
Hi db188,

Thanks for your advice. It's really appreciated!

In regards to budget, we can actually push that further, but I was going by the cost generated when I first upgraded some of the areas of that Vanquish 5 unit. I wasn't quite sure how much more to set as that build came to about $1800.

I will definitely look into going for the 5820k if you think it will do the job! I think in the long run it would be better to spring for that than risk having a cheaper machine that isn't going to handle the work thrown at it.

Hmm that's a good question on storage, but I was thinking about using external rather than including internally?

I will also definitely wait for release info on the 1070 before proceeding!

Do you by any chance know what base unit I should be looking at to start with? I just picked the Vanquish at random, but not sure what one I should be looking into.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Ryokosama - 01 Jun 2016 at 3:13pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 3:35pm
The Apollo level 3 is a good place to start. Any of the cases will work, but the Apollo is a good all around pick. It's the Corsair 760 T if you want to google it.

Change the default power supply to the 750 watt that's $34 more. Better supply, more efficient and much longer warranty.

Storage is up to you, and I'd also wait for the gtx 1070.

Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:30am
hey, bprat22, ah ok i'll make sure I change the default power supply! Also thanks for the info on the Apollo case, i'll google it now. I thought maybe the case wasn't too big a deal, but just wanted to check in case something more appropriate than Vanquish was available.

Hehe definitely gonna wait for that 1070! Luckily the wait won't be long :D

Thanks for the help!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:44am
Its always our pleasure.   Big%20Smile Gotta put you into a great gaming rig and make sure you get your bucks worth. 

The Vanquish is the best for your buck, performance wise, but if the budget allows, a custom with your pick of storage, power supply, etc can give you better components for a bit more.    No bad picks.   
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:51am
Yep I agree. I think it's a much better idea to stretch the budget and have a machine that will be reliable for a longer period of time than to skimp in areas and risk having to upgrade a lot sooner than hoped! Can't wait for that 1070 to be available so that I can buy the new machine :D
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:09pm
i wouldn't worry about any of the DS builds for reliability reasons.  it's just a matter of finding what you want/need for the usage you intend within your budget.  my impression was that this build was more oriented towards workstation+gaming.  if you can stretch your budget to around $2500-ish you can get an Apollo built around the X99/I7-5820K.   the 1070 is essentially a Titan X performance for $600 less.  amazing? yes! 

you'll still need 1 internal storage drive.  it's your choice on capacity.  the OS takes up about 20GB or so.  springing for high speed pcie drives are going to chew thru your budget, but you can still get a fast SATA drive.  the more system memory you can get the better.  it doesn't have to be anything special.  don't worry about the speed, capacity is more important.  i'd say a min. of 32GB for your usage. 

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 6:41am
Hi db188. Yes you're right this build really needs to orientate towards workstation as we've previously had gaming machines and running multiple programs for work has always been a problem. I mean I do want to have a formidable gaming machine too, but as you've said looking at a higher budget means I can factor in both needs rather than focussing on just one. I really do think it's worth putting in as much money as possible rather than working with a limited budget and regretting it later!

Thanks for the advice on favouring capacity over speed for the system memory. I really wasn't too sure on what was required in that area. Thanks to the wait on the 1070 I have time to go through all the advice you and bprat22 have given me to work out exactly what I need.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Ryokosama - 03 Jun 2016 at 6:41am
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 11:11am
Hi guys!

Sorry, just wondering if there is a 'specific' motherboard I should be looking at? Seems everything else is covered, but when I do the build editing there are various X99 versions and i'm not sure what I should be going for?

Thank you!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 11:55am
Recommending a mobo is probably the toughest part of us helping.   For most, the default X99-A is all you need and will serve you well.  The higher boards , like the Deluxe, have built in WiFi and the top ended Rampage is an overclock enthusiast dream , with its oc potential, onboard reset,lane switches, etc.  

Best bet is to select More Info under each board or Google them and see if there's something you need.  If you don't know what they are describing, then you probably don't need it. Big%20Smile     
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 12:10pm
Hahaha thanks bprat22. Based on what you've said (and some research just now) I'm pretty sure I can stick with the standard. X99-A. The price jumps up quite a bit for additions that I don't require. Thank you :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 2:00pm
Good pick.   
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 9:06am
Hi guys! How long does it usually take for custom cards to appear on DS?

I've been advised to hold off buying a new machine until the custom cards release, but I don't really have an idea of how long i'll be waiting. I'm trying to resist buying a founders edition 1070, but do need a new machine relatively soon.

The Chat box popped up so I asked Digital Storm, but the reply was 'I work from home and don't know' lol so thought i'd ask here :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 9:17am
Alex mentioned that possibly next week some custom cards would show.  
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 9:38am
Ah ok thanks! I'll take a look over the next couple of weeks.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 12:12pm
If you can go up to $2100, here would be a starting point:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1445182

Chassis
Chassis Model: Corsair Carbide Quiet 400Q

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-SLI (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 B1)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (960GB Digital Storm Certified Performance Series)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 12:15pm
Hey there!

Thanks a lot for the build advice! Yes since the original post I actually got a work bonus so am planning on getting a build around the 2700-2800 mark now so am now anxious to get it ordered! :D
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 1:22pm
Hey folks,

As the custom 1070's are due to arrive in the next couple of weeks i'll need to finalize my build, but as it's been a month since I first posted i'm wondering if things have changed in terms of what is now available and what I should get?

I'm starting with Apollo level 3 as advised, but immediately i'm confused with the processor as the one it selects by default isn't actually the 'better' one but is more expensive than the 'Better' option. Not sure what I should be picking out of:

Intel Core i7 6800K 3.4GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU) This is default when picking level 3 Apollo

Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
[-$142] Better (Says better but is cheaper?)

Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
[+$83] Best     (Only slightly more expensive but says 'Best'. Could stretch for this if it's worth it)

Also I don't think i've asked this before, but should I be changing any of the cooling/ noise reduction/overclocking options or leaving them as default? (Apollo 3 shows stage 1 overclocking for cpu, no graphics card overclock, standard fans and no noise reduction by default)

To reiterate this is a build for both gaming and workstation such as running photoshop, flash, maya ect with a budget of around 2800.

Thanks!

Edited by Ryokosama - 06 Jul 2016 at 1:23pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 2:29pm
i wouldn't advise going by what DS markets as "good" or "better".  far too general and misleading because it really matters what your usage is that should define what's "better".

also, it doesn't always reflect current market value of said components.  for instance, there are times when the 4-core I7-6700K is more expensive than a 6-core I7-5820K due to stock surplus or popularity. 

the 40-lane 6-core 5930K is only worth it if you plan on utilizing those extra pcie lanes.  and i wouldn't spend extra for the 6800K over the 5820K for roughly the same performance. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 9:25am
Ah right ok. Thanks, i'll stick to 5820k then :D

Did you have any advice in regards to overclocking components, changing the fan options/cooling/sound reduction etc from the default Apollo 3 settings?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 9:33am
oc the cpu to 4.4GHz, I would change cpu cooling to either noctua or hydrolux lite.
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 10:50am
Thank you. Changing to 'AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)' adds 20 dollars, but seems to be considerably more with hydrolux lite (170 bucks) so if it's safe to stick with Noctua i'll do that:)

And I don't need to request graphics card overclock? (it will be for one of the custom 1070s or even the 1080 now that it's possible to slightly increase the budget)

Edited by Ryokosama - 07 Jul 2016 at 10:55am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 10:56am
IMHO the possible extra 8fps from gpu oc is not worth the heat but that is upto you, others will disagree, but I don't want to add all that stress to my gpu for 8fps for 5fps for a mild oc.

But that is just me.

the noctua is a great air cooler but the hydrolux will do better job at cooling, which is why it cost more.
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 11:07am
Ah I see. When the option says 'overclock as much as possible with complete stability' I wasn't sure if there were still issues that arise from doing so, so it seems like it's not a definite yes to overclocking after all.

Thanks again for the help! Greatly appreciated.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 11:16am
Well the oc is dependent on a lot of things, mainly the cpu itself, each chip is different, the cooling used makes a big difference.

stage 1 oc of 4.4GHz for example is upto 4.4GHz you could endup with lower, with 6800 you could be at 4.0 to 4.4GHz IMHO. LC will get you more to 4.4, noctua more to 4.0-4.2GHz on this cpu.But those are just guesses, it can be lower or higher.
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:14pm
Ah yeah I had read in previous topics here and other sources that the OC will vary and isn't guaranteed to hit those higher numbers depending on other factors so I think if budget allows then maybe i'll be able to fork out for some LC. I do think noctua will be ok though.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:24pm
Noctua is a great cooler, its really upto you and how high of an oc you want.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Ryokosama

Thank you. Changing to 'AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)' adds 20 dollars, but seems to be considerably more with hydrolux lite (170 bucks) so if it's safe to stick with Noctua i'll do that:)

And I don't need to request graphics card overclock? (it will be for one of the custom 1070s or even the 1080 now that it's possible to slightly increase the budget)
it's possible the custom card(s) you order will already come with a "factory" overclock already on it.   you can easily dl EVGA Precision or one of the other vendor's graphics card tuning apps to play the oc yourself.  you don't need DS to do it for you.  

the D15 cpu cooler will perform on par with the standard DS LC option (a 240mm radiator unit) give or take a few degrees C.  it'll probably be a little quieter as well, because Noctua uses superior fans.  if you want to get better performance you'll have to move up to an H110 (280mm rad) or Hydrolux system.  

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 2:48pm
Okay, thanks again guys! I wasn't sure how easy it is to overclock cards yourself, but looks like it's doable if we want to later down the line.

So here is what I have as an updated build (Please pretend the 1080 is a custom 1070 lol!)

Configuration Code: 1449059
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,747.00

Direct Load URL: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1449059

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo (White)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz (6-Core) (Unlocked CPU) <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-SLI (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series <br><strong></strong>
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 B1)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (ASUS Turbo) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

I'm not sure if I need more than one storage set, but think I was advised one will do? (although i've picked EVO as PRO was a lot pricier)

Also not sure whether ASUS or EVGA card is better. Price seems to be higher for EVGA, but i've heard good things on other forums about the ASUS cards.

And I guess cooling could be dropped to Noctua as you say that's good enough.

Hopefully this looks good although i've likely made some errors haha! What do you think?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 4:34pm
EVGA has the best cards and customer support hands down.

the EVGA cards here on DS are the SC version (super clocked) so they are already factory oced.

stage 1 oc is best with noctua, you don't have to worry about pump and etc going bad/leaking.

why 1TB ssd for os drive?

HDD/SSD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD/SSD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 5:06pm
Ah ok thanks, i'll knock it back to a noctua. I'd definitely rather not worry about things like leaking!

Hmm, I think misunderstood db188's previous advice on storage. I was under the impression i'd need one ssd (a large one based on my PC needs for work)

Here are the previous posts from db188:

db188- what do you plan to do about storage? do you have large external storage options? or do you need/want to include that internally? i'd opt for a fast ssd for your OS+games and rendering/editing work you are currently working on and large (4TB units) external drives (which are quite cheap comparatively) for long term storage. perhaps you can find room for a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro in your budget?
------------
you'll still need 1 internal storage drive. it's your choice on capacity. the OS takes up about 20GB or so. springing for high speed pcie drives are going to chew thru your budget, but you can still get a fast SATA drive. the more system memory you can get the better. it doesn't have to be anything special. don't worry about the speed, capacity is more important. i'd say a min. of 32GB for your usage.
-----------

Hopefully db188 sees this and will be able to clarify as I think i've completely misunderstood what I need haha! :( (Sorry db188) I'd mentioned that i'd be using external storage too.

Edited by Ryokosama - 07 Jul 2016 at 5:11pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 6:37pm
Ok well based on db188's post you have told him you have large file/work loads which in that case means you have use for a 1TB drive.

If you don't then go with a 500GB evo, and pick a regular drive as hdd/ssd 2 for storage or later on add a 1TB ssd as ssd2 for storage.

I'm just a bit confused, if you told him you are using 4TB external, how is a 1TB unit gonna help?

lets try this, to clear stuff up, just tell me this real quick:

1. what is your hdd/ssd setup now? aka what is the size of your current os drive and is a hdd or ssd?

2. how many internal drives do you have? what kind? what size?

3. how many external drives do you have? what kind? what size?

4. do you want to keep the setup the same way or do you want to change it? if you want to change it please state how.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Jul 2016 at 6:38pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 6:55pm
some people prefer to keep a number of open projects in onboard storage and keep older/completed work on the larger capacity exterior drives.  that's all i was recommending, to have at least one onboard large capacity ssd for that purpose.   hope that clarifies things.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Ryokosama View Drop Down

Quote Ryokosama Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 8:12pm
Thanks db188! That's basically exactly what i'm planning to do :)

Sorry for the confusion DST4ME. I'll try to clarify:

Basically our PC is very old (bought in early 2011 in England and was cheap then) So we're looking to replace an old machine that was used mainly for gaming with a new workstation/gaming machine.

I now live in the USA and will be working from home a lot and also taking on freelance, so my needs are completely different from what we needed with the old PC.

I'll now be dealing with a lot of large photoshop/flash and animation files, but this 'from home' work is basically all about to start so the old machine's specs don't reflect that. It currently struggles with my medium sized PSD files. I believe it has a 1TB internal storage and I keep a couple of TB externals to store files, but it's basically useless to me in terms of high level work.

I didn't tell db188 that I have 4TB currently, but I think that's his suggestion for external storage which is pretty much accurate as well as having decent storage onboard.

So I guess I just need to work out exactly what I need for the OS drive and what I need as a separate internal storage.

Sorry for the confusion! The last PC I built was in 2002 and we've had friends pick our components for every other machine since then (which have always been based solely on gaming) so this is my first time looking into purchasing one that can handle digital work needs as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>