Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
heretar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote heretar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help me create a PC
    Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 7:47pm
Budget: Up to $2300

Expectations:
I'd like for this computer to last up to four to five years. I'd also like for it to be compatible with the following devices:
- HP Elite L2201x LCD Monitor (willing to upgrade if cheap)
- Laser Gaming Mouse
- Merc Stealth Keyboard
I want the computer to run as smooth as possible without being a maintenance heavy. I like to perform multiple tasks on the computer at once (such as running Skype while playing games). I expect to be able to set my settings on high for games without significant fps drop.

Usage:
Primarily gaming but I would like to use the computer for other reasons (watching videos/movies and programming). I play games (and want to play games) such as Witcher 3 and upcoming titles (such as bf1) for years to come. I am also an avid mmorpg player. I play GW2 and the like (though obviously on crappy settings :) ).

Special Needs:
I am in a dusty environment to an extent. I am in a small environment so I would like for the computer to take up as little space as possible (but I am willing to adjust). I never overclock. I would prefer a fan over water cooling.

I have been eyeballing the Apollo level 3.

All help is appreciation, thanks!

Edited by heretar - 08 Aug 2016 at 7:51pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 10:03pm
Ok a few things:

1. Please know the compatibility of stuff yourself, thats is very difficult for us to keep up with, all you want know is if they are win 7 / win 10 compatible depending on what os you want to go with.

2. pc parts are flaky if you will, once pc can last you 10 years with just a ram and gpu upgrade and another can give you headache 3 weeks after you got it.

3. If you are in a dusty environment nothing is gonna help you other then what you should be doing anyways:
Clean your pc once a week, if you do it that often it will take you literally 2 minutes.

So don't think that something has dust filter or such and that means no dust in your pc for you, thats not how its gonna be.

4. smaller your pc = warmer pc, specially on air.

5. imagine I could give you a pill that will make you think for the sake of the argument 20% faster, with no side effects and your brain will have no problems till you hit 120 years old, keep in mind we only leave to 85 on the average, in other words if this pill had any side effects they would occur way after you have passed away.

Well that is what ocing is, your cpu is running way below what it actually can, so what you want to do is look at the base speed and the max speed and come some point in between where there are no side effect for the life of the system.

The oc I recommend here are very light and will have no baring on the cpu life, lets put it this way, a 6700K cpu with oc of 4.2GHz - 4.4GHz with a good vcore and temp will last over 10 years.

6. There is no such things as a pc lasting 4 to 5 years with no problem that can max out everything for that period of time, the needs for games /software changes, your upgrade of monitor and etc will make the pc not so powerful.

Here is the best you can do, you go highend cpu now so that it will last you a good 4 to 5 years, and then every two years you upgrade the gpu so that you can max out games.

That is as close to "future proof" as one can come.

So now for your budget apollo was going to be my choice also what I need to know from you tho is if there is gonna be a monitor upgrade in the next 2 years, reason being for your current lcd of 1080p a 1070 gtx should keep your solid for two years but if you buy a monitor that is 4k next year then a 1070 might not do so great.

So any monitor upgrades?
heretar View Drop Down

Quote heretar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 4:05am
A monitor upgrade is fine.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 12:48pm
Ok good but what I was asking for is if you are going to upgrade you monitor or not, if you are going to upgrade it, we need to know what resolution you will be looking for, your current monitor is at 1080p, is the new monitor going to be at the same res, or are you going to upgrade and go with a higher res like 1440p or 4k, if you are going to upgrade then we need to know if you are going 1440p or 4k, the gpu needs for each will be different.
heretar View Drop Down

Quote heretar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 2:47pm
A 1440p monitor would be great. However, I would like to compare the cost between upgrading to that and keeping my existing monitor. If 1440p is too much, I would like to stick with my current monitor.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 3:36pm
For 1080p a 1060 or 1070 will do great, for 1440p we can go 1070 or 1080.

Lets figure it out a bit more for your use, for example look below at 1060/1070/1080 gtx at both 1080p and 1440p:

and then battlefield:

so As you can see for 1080p I would go 1070 to cover most games above 60fps and for the 1440p a 1080 gtx seems to cover all basis.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Aug 2016 at 3:39pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 3:53pm
At my config for the apollo right now I'm looking at around little over $2300 for the 1070 and around $2500 for the 1080 but that is with cable management and $30 lights, if we remove those 2 we save about a $100 off both builds , if you want to go vanilla (stock) 1080 we can save another $100 from the 1080 config.

Apollo

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

Apollo

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Aug 2016 at 3:57pm
heretar View Drop Down

Quote heretar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 5:43pm
I will probably go with the $2500 one. I plan on upgrading my monitor sometime next year.

Thanks for your help!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2016 at 9:17pm
My pleasure, just keep in mind if you want to go 4k monitor and be able to do sli 1080 in the next year, you need to change the psu to a 1000w, otherwise its pretty much a single gpu system.

You have anymore questions let us know
 Post Reply Post Reply