FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help: Replace power supply on Bolt (2013)

Post Date: 2015-09-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sddkryptic View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sddkryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help: Replace power supply on Bolt (2013)
    Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 7:22am
Hi guys

2 weeks ago, the power supply on my Bolt 2013 edition died out. I assume thats what died out since my computer won't turn on. I called the DS service rep and he told me that I can replace it on my own with a power supply from Corsair.

I tried to look up a power supply from Corsair, but I didn't see any that fit the dimensions of the current power supply I have. Furthermore, I discovered that the power supply in the Bolt is a SparklePower SPI500U4BG; it actually is a server power supply (specs are on the sparklepower website).

So I was wondering, if this supply from Newegg a good replacement: Athena Power AP-U1ATX5020FEP8? It seems to have similar dimensions, but I have no idea how to tell if the specs will be good enough for my computer.

Please help!

Thanks
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 9:06am
Comparing the specs, the Athena has less amperage for the logic voltages and 2x 12v rails as opposed to the Sparkle's 3x 12 v rails.   I would think the 12 volt combined and logic voltages amperage is still good, but to play it safe , I'd ask DS what is needed.  

Big%20Smile
Reece View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Reece Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 1:55am
Are you 100% positive this is a power supply issue? I would suggest removing the power supply so that you can access the 24-pin and view the power supplies fan.

Turn your PSU off and insert one end of the paperclip into the green wire, and the opposite into any black wire (ground). Turn the PSU on and the fan should spin. If not, your PSU is probably dead. If it does spin then your PSU is likely not the issue.

Possibly a CMOS issue or broken power switch.

You can find an easy guide/diagram for the paperclip PSU test on google.

Good luck!

Edited by Reece - 30 Sep 2015 at 1:55am
sddkryptic View Drop Down

Quote sddkryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Reece

Are you 100% positive this is a power supply issue? I would suggest removing the power supply so that you can access the 24-pin and view the power supplies fan.

Turn your PSU off and insert one end of the paperclip into the green wire, and the opposite into any black wire (ground). Turn the PSU on and the fan should spin. If not, your PSU is probably dead. If it does spin then your PSU is likely not the issue.

Possibly a CMOS issue or broken power switch.

You can find an easy guide/diagram for the paperclip PSU test on google.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. My PSU did fail this test, I could hear it start up, but the fan wouldn't spin. Any one else want to weigh in on the PSU I suggested or suggest another one? Id like to replace mine for <$100. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply