FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help!

Post Date: 2012-04-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kslo4 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kslo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help!
    Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 5:54pm
After several months with my ODE level 1 and zero problems, I've encountered a situation that I don't know how to resolve. I started up my system earlier today and my screen resloution was set to 600x800( normally 1650x1050). I tried to open my nvidia control panel to see what was up but I am unable to do so. I cannot start up any games either. I'm thinking my nVidia Gforce GTX 570 graphics card may be fried because I tried disconnecting/reconnecting everything and still have the same problem.

Basically, I plan on calling Tech support tomorrow morning, but I was hoping I could get some help here first. Any ideas?

I actually would like to just send my whole system back to have them look at it, because I really have no knowledge of computer insides, and I feel like they could figure it out and get the problem fixed. Is it more likely they would send a replacement part if the defective one was identified, or have me send it back to look at themselves?

Any advice or insight you can provide is much appriciated.

Brewtus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Brewtus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:14pm
Try updating the driver for the graphics card. If there is an update make sure you do a clean install from the advanced menu.

Definitely call DS. I wouldn't be so quick to send your system in right away. Not only is it expensive (unless you live near DS) but most of your problems can be pin pointed via telephone.

If DS determines a particular part is fault or has failed, they can ship you a new part.
Kslo4 View Drop Down

Quote Kslo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:40pm
I am unable to update the graphics driver because now it is telling me there is no display attached to VGA or something like that... It's as if my computer isn't detecting my graphics card or something.
Brewtus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brewtus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:52pm
Check your cable connections to your graphics card.

You can also try using a different port, i.e. HD, DVI, etc.
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 8:11pm
Hmmm... yea because technically.. if you had... a bad card you wouldn't see... anything. (generalization)

Is your monitor plugged into the Nvidia card or the motherboard?

Edited by xii - 05 Apr 2012 at 8:12pm
Kslo4 View Drop Down

Quote Kslo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:08pm
I tried disconnectiong and reconnecting everything with the graphics card. My monitor is plugged into the graphics card directly via DVI. I know it's all connected correctly because it has worked for a couple months now and I've changed nothing.

Quick question about the DS warranty if anyone knows... Does it matter for what reason they need to replace the parts? I mean does it matter whether it is a defective product(not my fault) or something that has been damaged(my fault). I'm afraid that since it has worked for several months and suddenly stopped, I may have caused the damage myself, or it could be perceived that way for DS... Does that matter or will they replace the parts under warrenty no matter the reason?

Sorry if its a confusing question, I'm just really nervous about it because this system was a big investment for me that I cannot afford to replace. I've read through the warranty but you know how those things are worded.  Might as well be another language.

Thank you.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 6:28am
Hi Kslo4....I'm probably too late to this discussion, with DS opening soon, but have you ruled out the monitor?   It's tough with the info provided, but turn off pc and monitor, unplug everything from the monitor, plug in just power cord and turn on monitor.  leave pc off.  Some monitors will self-test for a minute, like a small icon floating about.   Turn off monitor, replug everything back in and try.     Some programs have been known to corrupt monitor software.

Also boot into Safe Mode...F8 on boot, and see if it works.  If so, do a System Restore to a earlier point.  If Safe Mode works, good time to re-install drivers as was suggested.

Warranty....DS will cover the video card if they determine it is bad.  Unless you overclocked it or spilled your coffee in there Cry, you are fine.   Just kidding ...They'll ship you a new one....you have to charge the card up front, and after they get the old one back they credit the account.

Putting in a new card is easy.  They will help or we can on the forum.

Good Luck and let us know.

Edited by bprat22 - 06 Apr 2012 at 6:47am
Kslo4 View Drop Down

Quote Kslo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:16am
I'm pretty sure I can rule out the monitor. I still get picture when I power on the machine, can still start up windows but my resolution is stuck on a very low setting and I am unable to start up  the nVidia control panel as well as ANY games. This is what leads me to believe it is the graphics card... I guess I'll find out when I call them up in an hour.

For now I'll try a system restore and see what I can come up with. I'm tempted to restore back to factory condition... If the problem persists then it's got to be a hardware malfunction right?

Thanks for the replys.

Oh and you've got me worried about the coffee spilling comment. My kids are always spilling things and always playing in my office. I may have to go grill them about what they were doing yesterday. Does my problem sound like it could be caused by something like that? It sure would explain the sudden malfunctioning, but I cannot find any evidence of "foul play."
boneshaker View Drop Down

Quote boneshaker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:27am
Hey Kslo4, sorry to hear of your troubles...I'm commenting because I just had my GTX 570 replaced in my ODE1...although, my card was bad in about 24 hours after getting my system. Anyway, the problems you are experiencing sound exactly like what happened to me. If you can rule out "foul play", bad DVI cable, or bad monitor...and you can't uninstall and reinstall drivers, then I'd say your card is bad. One tricky thing is that it is almost impossible to tell for sure until you get another card. Do you happen to have an older compatible card you could try? Just giving options to narrow it down a bit, but it does sound like the video card fried.

Since receiving my new gtx 570 I have been watching the temps real close, and I've noticed that it does run a little on the hot side. I set up a fan curve on mine using evga precision. The default settings for the fan on that card are not sufficient. If you overclocked your video card yourself, DS probably won't cover it, but I don't know specifics on the warranty. One of the customer service people at DS will help you out with all of that. Good luck, and hope to see you get this resolved!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:33am
I was just kidding about the coffee.   I think the whole pc would be dead.  

It sure doesn't sound like graphics card if you have a screen, but it could be.

Kslo4 View Drop Down

Quote Kslo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:36am
OMG I started it all up this morning to try the system restore and everything is seemingly back to normal. Normal screen resolution, I AM able to open Nvidia control panel, And I AM starting up and running games....everything I couldn't do before seems to be fine.

Was that just a nightmare yesterday or was it real? I don't even know what to think right now.

I appriciate everyone who took the time to reply to me, It's probably one of your posts that saved me hours of time on the phone with tech support, and we all know how much fun that is. I'll let you know if I have any other problems/concerns about his issue...otherwise TYSM!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:39am
CongratsAwesome    Something was messing with your operating system..  corrupting the drivers, etc.   If the problem stays away than that was it.   

Run a full virus scan just in case.
Kslo4 View Drop Down

Quote Kslo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:43am
Originally posted by boneshaker

Hey Kslo4, sorry to hear of your troubles...I'm commenting because I just had my GTX 570 replaced in my ODE1...although, my card was bad in about 24 hours after getting my system. Anyway, the problems you are experiencing sound exactly like what happened to me. If you can rule out "foul play", bad DVI cable, or bad monitor...and you can't uninstall and reinstall drivers, then I'd say your card is bad. One tricky thing is that it is almost impossible to tell for sure until you get another card. Do you happen to have an older compatible card you could try? Just giving options to narrow it down a bit, but it does sound like the video card fried.

Since receiving my new gtx 570 I have been watching the temps real close, and I've noticed that it does run a little on the hot side. I set up a fan curve on mine using evga precision. The default settings for the fan on that card are not sufficient. If you overclocked your video card yourself, DS probably won't cover it, but I don't know specifics on the warranty. One of the customer service people at DS will help you out with all of that. Good luck, and hope to see you get this resolved!

Thank you boneshaker, that is some very useful information you provided. Unfortunatly I don't have another graphics card to test since my last system was a laptop. As I'm sure you can read in the above post, my problem actually resolved itself, for now, but I still worry there could be damage to my card. As far as my temps go, they seem fine, and no I did not OC the card myself.

Right now I am updating my drivers just in case it had anything to do with it.
boneshaker View Drop Down

Quote boneshaker Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:53am
Good to hear it fixed itself. The reason I was saying that it could be the graphics card is because I too had a screen. It was 800x600 resolution, and I couldn't change it. It wasn't recognizing any card, so I don't know if it was running off some integrated video from the mobo or if there was just enough left in the card to run low resolution and pretend it didn't exist. So I could use the internet to some degree, but no games or anything. Everything went back to normal after I replaced the card, and has been running like a champ ever since. I have had a video card go bad in the past though, and did lose all picture. I'm no computer whizz by any means. All I know is personal experiences I've had with them. These forums are great with a lot of important information. Again, glad to see it worked out for you, and was simple as some corrupted files/driver issues....
Kslo4 View Drop Down

Quote Kslo4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 8:07am
Boneshaker, sounds like we had virtually the same problem/experience haha. I even was wondering about my system running on an intergrated graphics as well with the weird screen reso problem and un-ability to run games for even a second. I just didn't know how to word it like you did. I guess its possible my card was loose or just needed to be reconnected...

One thing is for sure. I'm going to keep a very close eye on my system the next couple days/weeks to make sure theres no persisting issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply