Help with new DS system config

Post Date: 2018-01-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with new DS system config
    Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:33am
Hello Everyone! My current DS rig (which is still awesome) is almost 9 years old and starting to show its age. Even with the upgrades I have done on it, it is hitting the ceiling on games it can run well. I thought I would ask the community for some recommendations on a new rig! Please see my specifications below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Budget:
$3500-4000

Expectations:
I like to buy computers for the long haul so higher end is better. I can do some system maintenance but not great at it. I am not comfortable with liquid cooling or SLI...like not at all.

Usage:
Gaming (All kinds - Wolfenstein, WOWS, WOT, COD, lots of STEAM titles, etc)
Web design / Art and graphic design
Office applications

Special Needs:
Recommendation for new monitor?
Recommendation for new keyboard and mouse?

Specifications:
I think I like the Velox case (also has digital card reading) but does it need more fans? Would like to stick to air cooling if possible?
I have a lot of games and software - more than 200GB of games that I currently play and more than 100GB of software that I keep loaded. I would be interested in storage solutions using 2 or 3 hard drives...whatever is best but not too crazy expensive.
My current monitor is 1080p but I am going to upgrade with this purchase (at least 27 inch, Gsync, IPS). I would like to stay with a single GPU so recommendations on monitor would be nice. Not sure if I will try VR or not.

Thanks in advance for the help!

KKrusher
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:02am
Little over but should last you a long time

I know you said no lc but we no longer have noctua and the other guy is not as good so we are stuck with h115i, you may have to change it put but it needs no maintenance, let me know.
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 11:19am
Hey DST4ME! Thanks for the quick reply and the config. I have a bunch of questions for you.
1) Why that choice of motherboard over the other ASUS models?
2) Is that power supply enough? I probably will plan upgrades to GPU down the road so I want to make sure I have the power for some future GPU models.
3) An M2 drive for OS and SSD for mass storage and programs. No standard drive? I have a portable drive for backups and images but I also do that on a standard HD on my current rig. This is okay for storage, programs and onboard backups?
4) I am very freaked out by LC. But the h115i is "easy" to replace? I have never messed with anything associated with a CPU.

Any suggestions on monitor or keyboard? I am still researching those.

Thanks again for all the help!

KKrusher
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 11:44am
1. Asus has terrible customer service IMHO

2. Yes it is enough, 4 years ago a person that got a 750w can upgrade to 1080 ti today.

3. M. 2 for os /programs /games, 1tb ssd for storage /games.

4. It is easy, watch this video, the first 3 minutes and 24 seconds you don't have to do, your work is pretty much from 3:24 to 6 minutes, after 6 its wiring but remember you already have it installed so the 3 or 4 wires are already connected so you just look at where each wire is connected and connect the replacement to the same spot.

Let me know what you think

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Jan 2018 at 11:45am
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:13pm
Thanks for the reply and further information.

1) I am confused. You hate ASUS customer service but that motherboard is the right one for the rig? What does this model have that makes it the right one? Do I need that much motherboard?

2 and 3) Okay. I thought a standard HD was still desirable for reliability for back ups over SSD.

4) Watched the video on the AIO cooler and then some others. That looks pretty easy! I can do that! These kinds of coolers never leak or anything? You just have to replace them when the pump fails right? I think I could handle this!

This has been extremely helpful! If there are any other suggestions I would love to hear them!

KKrusher
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:33pm
1. My hands are a little tricky tied here based on what is offered, with mobo the higher end models use better parts thus the mobo should have better longevity.

3. For storage ssd or hdd is up to you.

4. 3 issues wuth any lc:

A. Leak, but liquid is non conducive

B. Pump failure

C. Fan failure

1and 2 requires replacement of Unit, 3 us simply a fan change the first 3:24 of the video.

Edited by DST4ME - 13 Jan 2018 at 10:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply