Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MiniMint View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with new PC build
    Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:50am
Budget:
trying to stay below $2500 and really have no wiggle room. Would love be be as close to 2k as possible as i'd still need a monitor (already have a keyboard and mouse from my current setup)

Expectations:
would love to have for at least the next 5 years or so. Not really looking at going 4k at all and probably not going to have vr either.

Usage:
Mostly for gaming with games from Steam like Don't Starve as well as GTA and possibly COD and others of that capacity. It would also be used for programming , if I were to get in to grad school for computer science

Special Needs:
would like to have a comfortable amount of memory, not too much that i'd never fill it up, but enough that my games would run smoothly and i won't run out of space.

I don't have a build to go off of so I'm open to any and all suggestions. Hope you can help me out

Saved Ticket #: [Please Type Here]

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:13pm
What res are you gonna be gaming at?
MiniMint View Drop Down

Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
Most likely at 1080 but would love to eventually go 1440, just can't afford it at the moment.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:30pm
We can apollo which gives us more control over the parts we pick which is important to have a good idea of performance and possible life expectancy, that will be about $300 higher or we can go vanquish which will be cheaper but less control over the parts we pick. I recommend going apollo but budget dictates so you tell me.

I can put you in an apollo with an evga 1070 for around $2200 before warranty

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Oct 2016 at 4:31pm
MiniMint View Drop Down

Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:32pm
I was looking at the builds and I like the fact that the apollo is more customizable. I had been searching a few different sites before landing on this one, so I'd like it to be as customizable as possible without spending too much money.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

Bit of info:

1. Do not install Mcafee , instead get a lighter better anti virus like ESET ( number 3 on the list ) Or any other good light Anti Virus will do.

2. The warranty here is 3 year labor and 1 year parts so if you want higher part warranty be sure to raise the warranty level to the desired level.
MiniMint View Drop Down

Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 4:48pm
My only concern is with having 256gb ssd as I know that ssd's tend to be a little less spacious than a normal hard drive. For what I'm going to use it for, is 256 enough space?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:52pm
For the OS and some games that is fine, we can add another drive but that will ride the cost up, I was thinking you can add a ssd later when/if you need one. Its very simple to do.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 12:38am
Take a good look at the Vanquish line. Yes, it's not as customizable, but you can get in under your budget with a very good machine.
MiniMint View Drop Down

Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 2:51am
That's true. I always get concerned with that aspect when buying any computer. And I used to build computers when I was younger but it's been a while, otherwise I'd probably be building one myself.

As for the Vanquish line, I'm just worried about not knowing exactly what I'm getting in terms of specific parts. I do realize that I could stay under budget and that's awesome, but the fact that I don't now exactly what I'm getting is what's holding me back.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 3:09am
I agree that knowing exactly what you get is important, but at least with DS, you are getting name brand parts, like Asus, Gigabyte, Corsair, etc. One of the reasons the Vanquish are cheaper but a few hundred dollars is the flexibility DS has in getting the best deals from vendors. You can contact them and ask what they are presently using.    The Asus Z170 A and E are used in the higher Vanquish according to Alex.

If in the budget, customizing all the parts is the way to go.   You can pick the card, psu, mobo, etc.   If things are tight, DS will still give you a very good setup for the money.

MiniMint View Drop Down

Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:30am
That's good to know, thanks. I'm not going to jump into ordering anything straight away, because I definitely need to know exactly what I can and can't spend, as well as what I'm going to be using the pc for other than gaming. I'm currently trying to get into grad school and will definitely need a pc for that as I'm currently using a mac for my everyday work (I'm a certified, unemployed teacher lol). If I get into grad school I'm definitely going to need a pc since I will be going for computer science and my current mac can't handle that. I figured I'd get something that I can use for both school work and for gaming since my old gaming pc died out on me over the summer (it constantly overheats and the games crash well before they completely load). I'm hoping to hear back from the school around December which is also when my birthday is, and am hoping with the amount of random jobs I've been working, I'll have saved up enough to be able to get something around then.
MiniMint View Drop Down

Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 4:31am
And don't hate on me for being a mac user lol. It has a lot of what I need for teaching purposes.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:01am
   I have never owned a Mac but have used them and would've gone Mac years ago, if, they had supported gaming more than they do.   Outside of gaming, Macs are a strong selection.

Good luck in school.        My school days are long in the past, thank goodness.

MiniMint View Drop Down

Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:06am
Well I just finished undergrad in May, and now I'm trying to get into computer science, something that I should have gone for in the first place but honestly didn't think I was able to get through the schooling for it. I love it though so I'm really hoping that I can get into this program.

Yeah I tried, keyword tried to play even the Mac friendly games on my old Mac, and it was horrible lol, so I am not even going to put one Steam game on my new laptop and I'm feeling so deprived right now lol. I couldn't see myself doing everyday work on anything but my Mac just because of what it can do in terms of just everyday use.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:16am
I would take a good look at vanquish before I order it tho, the mobo you maybe ok but remember you are getting only one year warranty, personally I don't care for the cpu cooler either and to me that is pretty important, but thats just me.
MiniMint View Drop Down

Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 9:00am
CPU cooler is important to me too. I don't want to get one with a bad cooler or one that I don't trust can keep temps down. I'll definitely take a look at the vanquish line though before I make any decisions.

Like I said before, I'd love to rush in and get something, but I still need to get funds together and want to be confident in what I'm purchasing, especially since I'm not entirely sure if I'll be using it for more than gaming. I do know that if I get into grad school it will probably be used a lot for programming along with gaming, so I definitely want something that's going to last.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 9:44am
Look at everything and make sure you are getting what you want/need. keep in mind DS's warranty is 1 year part.

When you get the funds let me know, if you still want to go vanquish I will help you config one.
MiniMint View Drop Down

Quote MiniMint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 9:53am
Definitely going to keep that in mind, but I think I'd rather just go apollo at this point, since I know exactly what I'm paying for. I'll just have to wait and see if I can get the funds together, as well as wait and see about my grad school situation. I appreciate all the help as well.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:06am
Our pleasure and good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply