FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with upgrading 3 year old system

Post Date: 2016-06-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Edotlars View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Edotlars Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Help with upgrading 3 year old system
    Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 1:36pm
Hi all,

I'm looking into upgrading my 3 year old Vanquish system. The current specs are below. I want to upgrade the RAM and video card. I mostly need help determining what will work well with my older components. I'd like 16g RAM and GTX 900 series at least. Budget is mid-range I guess, but I'll pay more if a certain brand is worth it. Thanks for help!

Current system config:
Chassis Model: - Corsair Carbide 300R (With Window)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M PRO (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Precise Digital Power Design)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (750GB Hybrid Solid State (By: Seagate) (7200 RPM) (Delivers SSD-like Performance) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (High Performance Cooler)
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No
Memory Boost: - No
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 2:48pm
do you want specific component recommendations or do you just want to know if replacing your 8GB ram kit with a 16GB kit and replacing your gpu with a 900 series is compatible?  if the latter, yes it's compatible and should be a relatively easy removal/install even for a novice. 

as for the former, i'd have to know exactly what kind of performance you're going for.  if you're looking for mid range gaming performance at 1080p and are okay with making visual settings tradeoffs (game dependent) i would suggest a 4GB card like the GTX 960.  if you want to max out 1080p performance a GTX 970 would be optimal.

for system memory, you could spend as little as $50 if going with "value" RAM.  here's an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148704.  or you can spend a little more and get some better performance memory with better timings, like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 3:40pm
Do you need more ram?

try these for better timing , you need to take out the current ram stick and replace with these and call DS to reset your oc.

Upgrade your hdd for the love of god.

if you want to upgrade your gpu then go with the 1070/1080 so that you are good for a few more years IMHO
 Post Reply Post Reply