FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I open this reservoir?

Post Date: 2016-02-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Khuminis View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How do I open this reservoir?
    Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 6:10pm
This is my first computer with a reservoir and it just ran dry so I need to refill -- I have coolant but I have no idea how to open the thing up to get it in! I assumed there'd be something fairly obvious but I don't see anything. Thanks in advance for any help.

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 2:31am
Hi Khuminis,

How old is your system?

If you really ran your reservoir dry then there is a very good chance that you burnt up your pump. If you didn't ruin the pump consider yourself very lucky. That fluid had to go somewhere and you need to look for a leak. You might have fluid in the bottom of the case somewhere.

The top of the reservoir should have a couple of inserts that you can unscrew. They would look like the insert in your picture next to the red tube at the bottom of the reservoir. Or, maybe the lid of the reservoir will screw off.

It looks like there is a lot of dust on the red tubing. If you have that much dust in the computer you probably need to clean the dust out of your radiators.

Frank
Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 6:51am
You know Frank, you're probably right -- I've probably completely screwed this thing up. I really bought it so my son could have a good gaming experience -- I am not a computer wonk so don't know how to do the kind of thorough maintenance that a computer like this requires.

Funny thing is, though, back in December of 2014 when the computer arrived I was actually paranoid about the reservoir as I've never had a computer with one and I was afraid it would dry out. So I bought a container of coolant and checked the reservoir in November (of 2015). It was still full. Then I googled around and found that reservoirs usually stay full for quite some time. Then, three months later, I start getting messages that my CPU is over temperature. I check the reservoir and it is empty and there is no evidence of leakage.

As you say there is a screw for an allen wrench at the top of the reservoir. I don't have one that's the right size to fit in the gap but I'll get one today and give it a go, hoping that the pump is not burnt out. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Khuminis - 26 Feb 2016 at 6:54am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 7:59am
Hi Khuminis,

You need two of those plugs on the top. One to fill with fluid and one for air to evacuate. If you only have one it will be very, very slow to fil. With a single plug you can insert a tube down into the reservoir and use it to fill but it has to be much smaller than the hole in the top. The air can evacuate form the reservoir around the tube.

Frank
Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 9:12am
Thanks, yes the coolant I bought apparently comes with a small tube that attached to the bottle which seems to be a bit smaller than the hole on the top. Will see how it goes. Fingers crossed that the dry reservoir didn't damage the pump.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 12:36pm
It is a 6mm allen wrench for the top. Good luck, use paper towels and take your time.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 3:27pm
i've never heard of a res that size running completely dry due to evaporation.  it has to be a leak, imo.  are you sure there are no liquid stains anywhere in the comp?  make sure you check the fittings (where a leak is most likely to occur for tightness.  they should be hand tightened and snug.  there will be some play in the tubing connections.  look for seeping/welling around where the o-rings in the fittings seal.  your pc should be unplugged while physically checking for leaks and during filling of the res with fluid.  when you add the fluid, fill up the res, stop, plug in the psu power chord and turn on for just a second or two, then shut off.  you should see the fluid level go down in the res as the fluid moves throughout the loop (to the rads, blocks, etc.).  you dont want the fluid level in the res to get too low and burn up the pump.  add fluid as you go, each time turning the power on to start the pump for only seconds at a time until the entire loop is filled.  you'll have air in the system for a few days that will continue to bleed out of the loop.  you will probably have to continue to monitor fluid level and add more as needed to top it off.  never ignore you pc for long amounts of time.  every pc should be inspected and cleaned at least monthly.   dust will gather around/under the fans on the rads and will need to be cleaned to maintain optimal cooling performance.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:00pm
Thanks guys, I took the top plug off and filled the reservoir. I didn't see these recent thread responses before doing so, so I plugged it back in and turned it on, not just for two seconds. I was really keen to see if the return of the liquid to the reservoir would solve the errors I got when I turned on the computer.

Turning the computer on did not suck the fluid level down in the reservoir from where it was when I finished filling it.

I'm also getting a persistent "CPU Fan Error!" message now but I'll post about that in a separate thread.

Is the liquid not getting sucked down into the guts of the cooling system indicative of a problem?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:07pm
If the fluid isn't exiting the reservoir, then it could be the pump. That's the pump's job.   Can you hear it or feel it running with your fingertips? Could be burned out if the fluid ran dry like was said.   Check the pump is plugged in just to make sure.

Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:15pm
Thanks dprat22. Is the pump this purple thing? When I just turned the computer on I felt it and it was vibrating.

Edited by Khuminis - 26 Feb 2016 at 5:16pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:18pm
Yes, the pump is below the reservoir. Try unplugging it and plugging it back in and try again.
Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:31pm
I don't see any obvious plug. Is it the blue wire? I am a little afraid I might do the wrong thing if I yank something out (it's also in a very tight place).

Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:40pm
I wonder if I should have a service person come in and look at the computer instead -- I have a sinking feeling that there's something wrong with the way the fluid is flowing through the cooling system. That will be way over my head to repair.

Does DS have authorized service people throughout the country to make visits? This thing weighs as much as a tank -- there's no way I'm shipping it anywhere!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:40pm
Run your finger around the pumps base, left of the knurled, until you hit where the wires exit the pump. Probably is the white plug you pictured but can't be sure from here. If your not sure, then not a big deal other than to make sure it's plugged in.   My guess is the pump is 'shot'.   

I would check the inlet and outlet of the pump to be sure the fluid is getting there, but that's me and does involve loosening connections and getting fluid leaking out.

You might have to remove the fluid and pull it apart to remove the pump and see if the impeller inside is spinning when on. Not sure your comfort level.

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 6:57pm
don't ever "yank" on anything.  the wire(s) should lead to a 4-pin connector attached to the motherboard cpu fan header (refer to your manual for location, but it should be near the cpu).  if you have the DS fan controller, the pump will be plugged into it instead of the motherboard. 

if the fluid level didn't change after filling and starting p the computer then it could mean there was enough fluid in the loop (tubing, blocks, etc) that it wouldn't just completely vacate the reservoir to the naked eye like when you fill the loop when it's completely absent fluid.  or, it could mean the pump is dead.  in which case you'll need a replacement.  do you see any movement in the fluid at all?  if the pump is working properly the fluid will not sit still like a placid pond.  there will be turbulence.  even if the pump is getting power to it, and the motor is humming along there could still be a doa impeller or blockage.  it's really hard to tell just looking at pics (especially with colored tubing). 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Khuminis

I wonder if I should have a service person come in and look at the computer instead -- I have a sinking feeling that there's something wrong with the way the fluid is flowing through the cooling system. That will be way over my head to repair.

Does DS have authorized service people throughout the country to make visits? This thing weighs as much as a tank -- there's no way I'm shipping it anywhere!

No i don't believe they do
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 8:33pm
I just turned it on again to see if there was any bubbling, and the coolant poured down into the guts of the coolant system!!!

Very pleased. I then topped off the reservoir. CPU temp holding at about 19-20 degrees C.

But I still get sent to setup because of CPU fan error. So back to that thread I guess ....

Edited by Khuminis - 26 Feb 2016 at 8:34pm
Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 9:13pm
One other consideration, before I get too pleased -- my reservoir went from full to empty in three months. That suggests a leak, doesn't it? How do I respond to that?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 10:41pm

One other consideration, before I get too pleased -- my reservoir went from full to empty in three months. That suggests a leak, doesn't it? How do I respond to that?

Last time I went looking for a leak in a very tight space I found that tissue paper, rolled into a fine point, was very helpful.

Roll tissue into a long pencil shape and poke it in and around the dark corners of all your fittings to see if you can detect a leak.

Also, it would be a good idea to move the computer to see any traces of leakage on the ledge where it sits.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 12:45am
i was just going to say get yourself some white paper towels and place them around all fittings and the bottom of the case.  make sure you monitor your fluid levels for a few days.  the loop will continue to bleed air for awhile and you will need to add fluid.  if you want to expedite this process and remove difficult trapped air (top mounted rads are extremely stubborn) gently tilt your system at angles away from the rad(s) in question while the computer is running.  you can even give it a careful/gentle shake.  just don't drop or jar the rig.  i would also suggest careful inspection of the reservoir for any debris floating or deposits.  if the rads are prepped/cleaned incorrectly prior to installation they can have flux break off into your water loop and clog up blocks/pump impellers.  

Edited by db188 - 27 Feb 2016 at 12:45am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 12:54am

...But I still get sent to setup because of CPU fan error. So back to that thread I guess ....
if your fans/pump aren't controlled by the mobo and are instead plugged into the DS fan controller (or another manufacturer's fan controller), go into your bios (press del while the system is posting) and head to advanced settings>monitor tab>change all cpu temp monitoring to "ignore".  hit F10 save and exit.  reboot and you shouldn't see that message again.  i'm having that same issue, but in my case i believe it's due to a failing mobo or cpu.  it could also be the case with you, or it could just be the bios setting like i outlined above. 

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 2:27am
I would recommend contacting our team for help with your issue.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 4:00am

I just turned it on again to see if there was any bubbling, and the coolant poured down into the guts of the coolant system!!!

Very pleased. I then topped off the reservoir. CPU temp holding at about 19-20 degrees C.

But I still get sent to setup because of CPU fan error. So back to that thread I guess ....

Sounds like the pump had to sit for awhile to prime and then did its thing.   Gravity usually does it but I've had non PC pumps that needed a little help by loosening a fitting to get rid of the air.    
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 4:44am
In one of your images the front screw on the pump's base shows some oxidation. There was fluid in that part in the past. I would check with the tissue paper (as Snaike recommends) around the pump's cover (knurled part) since the fittings don't show any leakage. On mine, I have the cpu and  gpus under water, when the temps go up on long playing sessions, the next day the reservoir gets full of little bubbles. Eventually the level goes down. So if you were running hotter than normal because of low fluid, maybe the rate of evaporation increased and you might not have a leak. I'd check around the pump just in case, now that your reservoir is full. Good luck.
Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 12:05pm
Thanks everyone. DS yes I will contact you because it seems clear something in my computer is leaking.

Last night my reservoir was refilled after the cooling system drank in from the reservoir. So I topped it off. I ran the PC for a few hours.

Today the rug is moist around the front of the PC. I have run it for a few more hours. The reservoir is half empty.

So I assume there's a strong leak. I will not run it with the reservoir almost empty of course!

My thought is this. Have a computer repair guy come in and find the leak. Contact DS to find out how to get replacement parts. Get them and have the repair guy put them in. Does that sound like a plan?

Funny thing about this is, I've owned PCs since the IBM XT I got in 1983. But I've never had one with liquid cooling before! It's proving to be a bit of a challenge for this old guy. :)

Edited by Khuminis - 27 Feb 2016 at 12:08pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 12:22pm
Water cooling has definite advantages and looks great, but does increase ones workload if something goes wrong.

I would think finding the leak would be somewhat easy, by taking off the side covers, and investigating, but everyone has their own comfort level. Nice thing about poking around yourself is the knowledge you gain and comfort you feel afterwards, but up to you.    Could be as easy as loosening and re tightening a connector.   

A PC tech might be the way to go. Cheaper than shipping it back.   
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 1:08pm
Hi Khuminis,

Well you lucked out with the pump. Maybe you will be lucky locating the leak. It might be a very simple fix if you locate it. May just need to hand tighten a connector. If you get a tech make sure you find one that has worked on water cooled systems.

Frank
Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 1:26pm
Thanks bpratt22 and FrankW -- I might just do that. I guess if I find the leak I could get the replacement parts from DS and try to install them myself.

Edited by Khuminis - 27 Feb 2016 at 1:27pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 1:33pm
You may not need any parts. That is why you may benefit if you found where it is leaking.

Frank

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 1:34pm
it could as easy as hand tightening a fitting/component or it could be a bad o-ring somewhere.  since you aren't comfortable/experienced with water cooling i'd find someone locally who is and let them diagnose/fix it.  that is assuming you don't want to ship it back to DS.  the smart thing would be to drain the loop asap so you  don't damage any of the components.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Khuminis View Drop Down

Quote Khuminis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 7:11am
I work two jobs so often can't turn the PC on for days, but last night had the chance and let it run for a while.

I opened both sides. Here's what I saw. My directions will be assuming I'm looking at the PC from the front.

No leaking visible on the left side, but the left side does not have any visible cooling tubes etc.

No discernible leaking on the right side (the side in which the reservoir is located). I looked for quite a while but the part of the right side that is exposed to the air did not show the least bit of moisture. With one exception -- on the right side, right at the part where the side door fits in (the very bottom edge) there is very slight liquid pooling visible. The right side, toward the front, is also where the rug gets moist when the PC runs for a while. This suggests to me that the leak is somewhere under the "floor" on the right side -- perhaps coming from where the pump is attached to the floor of the right side of the unit?

The PC is extremely heavy and I assume that the pump works at least in part using gravity to drag the liquid down, so I'm not sure how I can continue with my hunt for the leak. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by Khuminis - 03 Mar 2016 at 7:14am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:04pm
have you tried wrapping paper towels around every fitting/under and around the pump yet?  if there's a leak that's usually where it comes from.  you should be able to identify the bad/loose component that way.  if you just try to go by where the liquid pools, well, fluid moves to the lowest point and then pools there.  e.g. just because you see it where it ends up that doesn't mean the leak is there. 

can you give us more info about your system specs and perhaps a wider (whole rig) shot of the case with the side panels removed.  it looks like you have one of the bigger cases: an Aventum or Hailstorm judging by the size of the res and where that one fitting by the pump leads into a partitioned off space in the "basement" (which is probably where the leak is btw).   can you get to this area easily for inspection?  or are the rads in the way??  if so, you might have to remove the rads from their mounting plates to inspect behind them.     

Edited by db188 - 03 Mar 2016 at 1:06pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 1:09pm
the more i look at that pump, the more it looks to be the where the leak is.  you can see below and around it evidence of liquid stains.  the screw that was pointed out and that bottom fitting that leads to the rad(s) both show water-related corrosion.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 6:13pm
On mine the same screw is corroded. The coolant leaked from the fitting marked "in" and dripped on top of the screw. I was able to stop the leakage by griping the knurled portion of the fitting and moving it back and forth a few times like a quarter turn each way and then tightening gently.   If the leak is below the "deck" it looks like you might need to remove the radiators to be able to see in there. I haven't done that yet so somebody else would know more. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply