FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How easy to upgrade video cards in Aventum 3

Post Date: 2015-11-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How easy to upgrade video cards in Aventum 3
    Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 9:18pm
I'm thinking about purchasing an Aventum 3 with three liquid cooled video cards. I noticed that it uses hard liquid cooling pipes. Will that be a problem if I decide to upgrade the video cards a couple of years from now? In other words, will the new video cards have the liquid cooling connectors in exactly the same locations as the old cards? I could see this being a problem if the new cards slightly change where the connection points are.

Thanks for your help.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 3:14am
Copper or acrylic tubing are both less adaptable than flex.   They are custom cut and bent for the particular build. How they would line up universally with other blocks I'm not sure.

For future updates you could send it to them for the upgrade or buy the cards and water blocks and do the transformation yourself, hoping everything lines up.

DS could give you a better feel for any future updates.   Email or call them.   
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 4:06pm
you do have the option between hardline acrylic, copper/nickel, and flex (quick disconnect) tubing with a DS custom open loop water cooling config.  as bprat said, the two rigid tubing options make the system less flexible when it comes to removing components.  that being said, it's only part of the problem when it comes to upgrading water cooled components.  "custom" means that one size does not fit all.  water blocks would almost certainly need to be changed, as well as possibly fittings.  even if the video cards are of the same type, if their dimensions are different (i.e. from different manufacturers) the custom bends in the tubing might not align (flex tubing excluded of course).  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 6:10pm
Thanks for your help everybody. I didn't realize that Aventum machines can also use flexible tubing rather than acrylic or copper. That's good. I will definitely go with flexible tubing to make future upgrades easier.

That leads to my next question: Is it fairly easy to upgrade liquid cooled video cards that use flexible tubing? How difficult is it compared to upgrading air-cooled cards?

Thanks again.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 11:55pm
with the quick disconnects you'll be able to unplug them and remove them from the system w/o having to first drain the entire loop.  you still have to remove the fittings, short length of tubing and water blocks from them.  you'll have to buy new ones unless you're buying the exact same card(s).  you can otherwise reuse them on new cards. 

air cooled cards are just plug and play.  you connect the 6 and/or 8-pin cables from the power supply and away you go.  update the drivers once installed either way. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:02am
Yea, I'm not going to lie to you. Acrylic tubing, while it is my most favorite for many reasons, it is definitely a pain for future upgrades.

Most of the time, you will have to end up bending new tubing when you upgrade. It can make draining your loops harder, unless you planned correctly with a drainage system.

Flexible (or soft tubing) tubing will make it much, MUCH easier to do maintenance and upgrade in the future, but considering this is something that really won't effect much but maybe once or twice ever in the life of your system... which is more important? Ease of maintenance that one time, or aesthetics provided to you by copper or acrylic tubing. People are use to liquid cooling with soft tubing in it. While impressive, it's still the same thing that's been around for the last ~10-15 years.

Acrylic/copper tubing on the other hand. Provides a much cleaner look, and it's just more "elite". People will stop and gawk at a system like that, just because you rarely see them in person.   
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 1:35pm
not to mention that acrylic and copper are free from the plasticizer problems of flex tubing!  you will be replacing that flex tubing at some point-it is inevitable. and also more than likely will have to do a big time job de-gunking of blocks, rads, etc.

Edited by db188 - 30 Nov 2015 at 1:36pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:23pm
Alex did mention they use Tygon tubing in this thread: http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/new-gaming-pc-tidf26539-pidf281995-kwftygon/, so there shouldn't be any plasticizer issues with their builds.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 11:22pm
i knew they had non-DEHP plasticizer product, but not plasticizer-free.  i wonder what they're using to make it flexible (PE or PP perhaps)?  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply