FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How loud/quiet is your Bolt II?

Post Date: 2014-12-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
impurfekt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote impurfekt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: How loud/quiet is your Bolt II?
    Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 5:21pm
Evening.  I'm on the fence between the Slade and Bolt II.  I'm trying to get an idea of how quiet the Bolt II is.  I've heard tell it's whisper quiet if one uses the fan control board.  Would anyone with a Bolt II care to chime in?  I'll be using the system as a DAW so operating noise is a primary concern.  If the Bolt II is quiet enough I'd love to go that route and save a whole lot of space.

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 6:54pm
Hello impurfekt,

My Bolt II is very quiet. What I did was change the graphics card to an EVGA card with an ACX 2.0 cooler, which can completely stop the fans on it. I also changed the fans on the radiator to connect to the motherboard and controlled by the CPU temp, instead of the H100i unit; again, this allows for the fans to be completely stopped at low temperatures. So, under light loads, including watching videos, the only fan running is the one on the PSU, which is a small 40mm high speed fan. This makes it sound like a quiet refrigerator, but the noise is also very directional, so it depends on how you have your computer oriented relative to your seating position. Obviously under higher loads, the fans on the radiator and GPU come on and make a little noise, but it is not terrible by any stretch; I used the ASUS AI Suite 3 Fan Xpert 3 to slow the fans down to a minimum of 31%, as determined by the program, instead of the minimum 60% the UEFI has, for when the fans do need to come on. I am looking for some quiet PWM fans to swap in and bring the starting fan speed down to around 20%, too.

Edited by  - 11 Dec 2014 at 7:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply