FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hydrolux Pro Maintenance

Post Date: 2016-07-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rain07 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rain07 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Hydrolux Pro Maintenance
    Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 12:04pm
I apologize if this question has been asked in the past. I'm about to get the Velox with hydrolux Pro but I'm concerned with how much and what kind of maintenance I should do on this kind of water cooler. I've read that some people recommend doing a maintenance every 6 to 12 months. What kind of maintenance? Is it just filling the liquid or do I have to drain the liquid and clean out the system? Does hydrolux Pro from digital storm require less maintenance? Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:00pm
a custom LC loop requires you to change the fluid, flush the blocks and rads, and even change (if you have flex tubing) the tubing at some point in time.  flex tubing has plasticizers (that's what makes it flexible) in it that eventually cause "leeching" (basically the chemical breakdown of the plasticizer) that leaves a cloudy film/white particulates on the inside wall of the tubing.  if/when it breaks free it clogs up water blocks, rads and pumps.  obviously rigid tubing doesn't have this problem.

DS uses medical grade non-DEHP (DEHP plasticizer is the worst culprit) plasticizer tubing from Tygon (probably Tygon E-1000), so it will last longer. 

additionally, different fluid manufacturers use different chemical mixtures with their various types of fluids, some are worse than others and will stain and/or gunk up the blocks/pumps/rads.   the safest fluid to use is probably simple distilled/de-ionized water with a biocide and anti-corrosion additive.  

in any case the answer to the question of how often you should drain and flush your loop is that it can vary depending on the individual conditions the system performs under.  DS will tell you the fluid they use has a shelf life of 3-5 years, but that's not operational life.  it might very well hold up a few years under constant use, but the longer you put off maintenance the more clean up you'll have to do.  if you drain and flush (with distilled water) yearly you should be able to avoid having to do a major cleanup job.  however, let your eyes be the judge.  if you see the fluid start to change color or become cloudy/murky you need to flush and change at minimum.  when you drain the system, if you see a film on the inside of the tubing, replace it.  if you see any particulates floating around in the fluid it's probably a good indication that you need to break the loop down and do a complete cleaning of the blocks/rads/etc.  

any LC config that is closed or semi-closed and marketed as "maintenance free" isn't designed to last.   so whether it's an inexpensive AIO or a Hybrid like the Hydrolux Lite it will either break down and be headed for the trash bin (in the case of AIO's which aren't serviceable) or it can be cleaned up and reused.  you pay for it in one way or the other.    

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:02pm
You can name a LC system what you want, at the end of the day its an LC system. What matters in a lc system is the main parts and their performance, like the gpu wb(water block) and cpu wb, rad/s, pump, tubing kind/size, etc.

Now speaking very generally the wb/rads/pumps/fans are the ones you want to watch for, again very generally speaking, you have rads that work better with low cfm fans and rads that work better with high cfm fans.

In this case you have the most customized aka best cpu/gpu wb with a good rad. these are customized parts that don't come together.

I'm telling you all of this so that you understand you have a fully customized lc, that is what the pro is. This types of system do best when they kept best. So flushing the system and cleaning it once or twice a year is a good idea but it does not have to be done that often, tho it will take a bit away from the performance.

Other things is that you can have a pump failure, you could have a leak or have a fan go out.

Now I could tell you the same thing about your car, so don't freak out, just because they can happen it does not mean they will. I have dual loop system and total of 12 fans on my rads on push/pull. none of those fans have gone out yet and this particular system is 6 years old. I have had to change the same pump twice, but thanks to DS that was as easy as can be. I had a leak from one of quick disconnects, which I simply solved myself with a new washer from home depot. Other then that whenever I do gpu upgrade I have to buy new gpu wb for the new cards and switch them out but with quick disconnect its very easy.

So that is an overall picture of life of an lc system.

Be sure to always make sure your rads and its fans are free of dust or your performance will suffer greatly.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Jul 2016 at 3:06pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:08pm
like DST4ME said about general weekly/monthly maintenance with the dust, i blow out my case every week and every month i take the fans off and do a more thorough cleaning.  that's the easy stuff, but really critical to keep the cooling performance up. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 6:12pm
We have a full video here on everything you need to know for HydroLux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owceGZGIWyg

Enjoy!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Alex

We have a full video here on everything you need to know for HydroLux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owceGZGIWyg

Enjoy!
i think it would be nice if you guys did a vid showing how a person would drain, flush, and refill an open loop inside the Aventum 3 (seeing as that's your biggest and most complex system). 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 6:08pm
Sure thing.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 8:20pm
Great I have to agree that would be best give us a link when you have Alex so we can bookmark and refer people to it.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:35am
Osros View Drop Down

Quote Osros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 10:56am
I agree would love to see a HydroLux PRO full maintenance video with flush, rad & tube replacement etc. I will be getting a Bolt 3 with HydroLux PRO soon will be my first liquid cooled system. Like to know all the ins and outs for when the time comes.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 11:17am
Just an fyi , although you probably know. Big%20Smile....  The Bolt HydroLux Pro is not the Pro in the other configs, but really the HydroLux Lite in the other configs.     Two different techs with somewhat similar flushing needs, although the manufacturer of the Lite, Pro in the Bolt, recommend a flush every 3 years. 

The Lite is the Swiftech H220x or so, a hybrid all-in-one that allows the loop to be broken. 

Osros View Drop Down

Quote Osros Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Just an fyi , although you probably know. Big%20Smile....  The Bolt HydroLux Pro is not the Pro in the other configs, but really the HydroLux Lite in the other configs.     Two different techs with somewhat similar flushing needs, although the manufacturer of the Lite, Pro in the Bolt, recommend a flush every 3 years.  The Lite is the Swiftech H220x or so, a hybrid all-in-one that allows the loop to be broken. 

Thank you, good to know Im sure I will be happy compared to what I got now. Just like to be ready and know what I need to do when the time comes for what this puppy set me back I hope to have this one for well over 3 Years.

Edited by Osros - 27 Dec 2016 at 12:17pm
Mpetersonart View Drop Down

Quote Mpetersonart Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 3:16pm
Can we get an updated version of this? I would love to know how to take off the tank lid, and tubes from the newer aventum 3.
Melissa peterson
Zyaira View Drop Down

Quote Zyaira Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 4:03pm
I would also love so see how we can do a full flush on the never Aventum 3 models.  Ninja
eldente View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eldente Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2019 at 1:24pm
Yeah they never made that video. My Aventum is about 5 years old now, and it definitely needs a flush!
 Post Reply Post Reply