FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i've heard the X-299 chipset gets extremely hot

Post Date: 2017-08-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AscendedKnight View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AscendedKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: i've heard the X-299 chipset gets extremely hot
    Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 1:26am
how effective is cooling in the Aventum 3 to handle that heat? i absolutely hate heat wherever it comes from but especially when its coming from a computer, it also tends to worry me that the lifespan will be shortened exponentially by that heat.

While i'm here, why is the X-299 the only chipset for the aventum 3? is the case just not designed to work with any other? or is it a kind of "ONLY the highest end parts can go in" deal?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 2:38am
All the systems here handle the heat with no problem.   DS does stress them. If you want to push the CPU overclock to higher levels or use multiple video cards, that's when a little extra attention, like water cooling, might be needed.

I believe DS will build the Aventum with Kaby Lake if you talk to them.   The x-299 is the latest and highlighted in their premier box.   Have to ask them.

I've also heard the heat concerns with the x-299 but DS has actual hands on so they would know.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:09pm
We are aware of concerns with X299 and overheating and have to say that there are no issues from our builds. Airflow is important and keeping an eye on performance.

Our stress-testing and QA process prevents us from sending a system that would have such issues. Basically, you have nothing to worry about.
AscendedKnight View Drop Down

Quote AscendedKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 3:19pm
i see, thanks for the answers, that eases the one real qualm i had. It's gonna feel really good when i can finally afford that Aventum 3 and i can finally say goodbye to the low tier super cheap computers/parts I've been using for the last few years.
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 4:13pm
VRM stories are true

only difference here at Digital Storm
means something else.

V.ery
R.eliable
M.achine

waiting on my X299

ps. der8auer uses a x299 on his personal system
    [recently said in an online webcast]

welcome to the next level

Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 5:53pm
If you go to youtube, a few of the big reviewers covered the VRM over heating issue, a long with Der8auer (who was the one to originally point it out).

It's partially motherboard specific. But most of the motherboards out now have fixed this issue. AORUS was having some VRM issues with their first launch and so was Gigabyte (Who owns AORUS so that explains that).

There's a reason you don't buy Gigabyte brand anything, ever. They're garbage, bad quality, and if you are one of the lucky ones who bought Gigabyte brand gear and never had an issue... well God is looking out for you.

Outside of that if you get an MSI, ASRock, ASUS, EVGA, etc brand motherboards... you'll be completely safe. Worse case, your VRM explodes, in which there's a manufacture out there who will be replacing your build for you ;)
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply