FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I've looked at them all & can not decide.

Post Date: 2015-07-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lucidstate View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: I've looked at them all & can not decide.
    Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:35pm
Budget:
[Around 4500 with monitor]

Expectations:
[ Run the Oculus Rift when the consumer version hits on Q1 2016
Not sound like a busy airport.]

Usage:
I will be focusing heavy on the Oculus rift and Microsoft Hololens. Both needing windows 10. Also Gaming & Virtual video experiences with massively fast frame rate to curb virtual motion sickness & lag-less online game play.( Survival horror based. Ie Dayz, Warz,7 days to die etc etc)
I do have fast wifi for around these parts but always online game wired up.

Special Needs:
[I do not care what the chassis looks like. It will be under a desk.No led's or anything fancy that does not improve performance.
I will be needing a monitor to match and all peripherals.
Titan x based graphics card unless multiple cards have a better outcome.

Saved Ticket #: [I keep building and deleting. None saved. ]

Specifications:
[I love laptops yet they will not run the oculus. Guess i'll have to warm my lap with a blanket like a normal person.

Any suggestions? :)
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 10:56pm
Wait until August 5th and get the new i7-6700K processor...you may want to wait a little longer if you want the system to come with Windows 10, which is shipping the middle of next month. Get two GTX 980 Ti graphics cards in SLI (Titan X is unnecessarily expensive and you get nearly the same performance in the 980 Ti). Put them in a Slade and you should be good.

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 1:59pm
I did a bit of research in the i7-6700 you mentioned. There is not a lot of specs out for it but I can see that being a wise decision.
I forgot to list the Oculus Minimum requirements. I will post them now.
The following specifications for a gaming PC are what Oculus VR recommends for a "full Rift experience." This means you can have less, but they suggest you don't. We suggest you have a whole lot more, too.

• NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
• Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
• 8GB+ RAM
• Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
• 2x USB 3.0 ports
• Windows 7 SP1 or newer
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 9:32pm
Those are the minimum specifications you've listed.  You will probably want something more inline with the i7-6700K and SLI GTX 980 Ti cards if you want to use high-to-ultra settings in the graphics quality (depending on the game, of course).

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by 

Those are the minimum specifications you've listed.  You will probably want something more inline with the i7-6700K and SLI GTX 980 Ti cards if you want to use high-to-ultra settings in the graphics quality (depending on the game, of course).

Well, it has been a couple months but now that pre orders for the Oculus are tomorrow...I better get my computer building in gear.

The slate does not have the option for the I7 6700k. Going with one of the other cases is not to big of deal. The Velox has the i7 option. How big of deal is going from the z170 chip set to the x99? May I assume it is a very big deal?

The bolt 2 in "best" configuration has the i7 6700 but not in the "ultimate" edition which is the i7 5930 yet has the 2 ti cards. The "best" only having the one.

Now I remember how confusing this is.

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:00pm
the Bolt 3 is a single gpu system.  if it were me i'd get the best single gpu config paired with either an I5 or I7 Skylake cpu.  i'd upgrade the storage on it as well.  for a primary drive combining OS+games your budget allows for consideration of an NVMe drive in either 500+GB to 1TB capacities.  if you want to stick with a SATA ssd i'd recommend upgrading to a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro.  you can keep the hdd if you want for storing pics/vids/music and such, but i'd recommend making it a WD Black version.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Lucidstate Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 7:26pm
From what I have been reading (*Note..I can be wrong)
I keep seeing different worded versions of this pop up "VR SLI is not yet implemented in most engines, and so SLI provides no benefit at this time"

If this is true, Going with a sli configuration would prove useless?
 Post Reply Post Reply