FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Installing software on second drive

Post Date: 2016-09-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mt59102 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mt59102 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Installing software on second drive
    Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 2:32pm
Hope this is in the right forum What and how is the best way to install games onto my D: drive so as not to fill up my C: drive?
Thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 3:03pm
Once you do this, you pretty much tie the os drive and the storage drive together, reason being even tho you are installing the game on the storage drive the regkeys still go on the os drive cause that is where your registry is.

Now if its games that don't use registry then the above does not come into play.

During install you should have a prompt that asks you where you want to install the game. if you like make a folder in the second drive called "Games" and then during install chose that folder to install in so that the game you are installing its folder will be inside your "game" folder.
mt59102 View Drop Down

Quote mt59102 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 4:00pm
Thanks for the reply
Is tieing them together a bad thing for performance issues or just some files will always be stored on the C: drive?
Thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 4:23pm
The only problem is that if you don't have a copy of both drives and one goes bad then your games will probably no longer work. Again this is only for games that use regkeys not all do.

There will be no performance loss.

Its very simple your registry (where your reg keys are stored) are on the os drive, without the registry your os would not be able to work. When you install apps they install files on the os and also regkeys, (regkeys are installed/stored in the registry) the regkeys tell the os where the game and its files are and they also set some settings. So when you install an app on another drive separate from the os, the app installs its files on the other drive but the regkeys still have to go on the registry which is on the os drive.

Now if an app/games does not work via regkeys, then its completely independent of the os drive and you can install it anywhere and also move it via copy and paste. This types of games/apps don't suffer from the above mentioned problem.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Sep 2016 at 9:49pm
mt59102 View Drop Down

Quote mt59102 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 9:39pm
One other question where do the saved games file save too?
Thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 9:49pm
Depends on the game, some save it to the program folder of the game and some other places.
 Post Reply Post Reply