FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Installing third 3.5" HDD in Virtue Obsidian 350d

Post Date: 2015-03-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rodericrinehart View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rodericrinehart Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Installing third 3.5" HDD in Virtue Obsidian 350d
    Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:06pm
i have a Virtue I bought last year with two 3.5" Western Digital blacks (1 TB and 4 TB) already installed, as well as a 250 GB Samsung Evo SSD.

I want to add another 4TB Western Digital black but I am out of 3.5" drive bays.

Exactly how can I add this into the 5.25" bay? Many of the expansion mounting brackets I looked at had an opening in the front, which I obviously don't want. And others had comments saying they didn't work properly in "tool-less" bays

I have a Corsair CX750-M PSU. Does it come with the necessary cables considering what is already installed, and if not, what do I need to purchase? Or are 4 hard drives out of the question? If needed, my mobo is an ASUS Gryphon Z97.

If you have a recommendation bracket, please post the exact name or even a link to Amazon or NewEgg or wherever.

I am no expert by any means, so any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:40pm
You can put an adapter in: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007599%20600551585. The Xigmatek and Sharkoon will allow you to add in two more 2.5" drives in addition to the 3.5" 4TB drive.

Your power supply should have 8 SATA connectors. They are modular connectors, so there may or may not be one free and able to be used in your case, so you may need to add another SATA power cable to it.

You will also need a SATA data cable that goes between the motherboard and hard drive.

Quote rodericrinehart Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 3:55pm
Thanks a lot! I'm going with the Xigmatek, but getting it from Amazon since I have Prime and it's $3 cheaper as well.

I'm going with an exact duplicate of the drive I have, a 4TB Western Digital Black. 8 TB should be enough for all my media until it's time for a new computer, and I won't need to use any external hard drives, as those will be strictly for backup in case of disaster.

Quote rodericrinehart Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 8:08am
Well, I bought what was needed, put the 4TB drive in the adapted, and took the side panel off my 350D case and ran into multiple problems.

First, I do not think I have an additional SATA power cable. They are all used. There appears to be one open slot on the motherboard, so I will order one today. This is easily fixed.

Second, and this is the real problem. I cannot fit the drive+adapter into that second 5.25 inch drive, even after I removed the ram. There is just too much crap in the way. How do I get this drive into the 5.25" bay? If I have to take out the motherboard or anything crazy, I swear I'll probably lose it.

I am no expert by any means and everything I've done so far is up to my limit of ability and understanding. If any complex installation procedures need to be done at this point, I think my best bet is to swap my 1 TB WD drive for the 4TB I just got so I will have two 4TB drives, which is honestly fine. I can sell the 1TB on ebay.

If that option is what I have to do because of difficulty, how would I go about making a clone of my 1TB drive (which is full of Steam games) so I don't have to redownload them all. I have a 2TB external drive already I could use.

I should have known better than to think this would be easy. I just want to get this 4TB in my computer and the only other upgrade I would ever have to do is a video card in a few years.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 10:43am
Unless you move the rig around, just place the 3rd HDD on top of the 2 bay drive cage you have now, maybe a piece of cloth under it.  .  Use some light duty double sided tape to anchor it a bit.  Or run a Tye- wrap around it and through the drive bay below.

Just a thought. Big%20Smile

Quote rodericrinehart Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:35am
Is that actually ok? I do not move my rig around at all. It will set on my desk for 5 solid years. I remove the fan twice a year to clean the grate behind it, but that's it.

What about heat? What kind of cloth? Is there any danger of fire from hard drive heat?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2015 at 11:40am
No danger.    If the cloth makes you a bit nervous, they don't heat up very much that I've seen, then use a piece of plastic, rubber, etc just to dampen any possible vibration.  Just tying it down snug should work.   A lot of people just lay a drive into one of the sleds, no mounting,  and leave it. 

Your 5.25" optical drive bays would work, if there's a bottom and not open all the way through.  But, in front of a fan, meaning the drive cage would be better .   

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Mar 2015 at 11:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply