Post Date: 2016-05-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dovaogedy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dovaogedy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Intel I5 6500 or 6600K
    Posted: 28 May 2016 at 1:06am
Trying to get some help on picking out a CPU and ive mentioned this in the configuration discussion area but this area might be better suited.

How well can an I5 6500 handle PC gaming? Im looking to game more in 1440p than i am 1080p, and from the research ive done it seems like PC gaming in general is more about your GPU than your CPU.

I tend to play mostly console titles, games like Rise Of the Tomb Raider, The Division, Battefield, Rocket League etc.

Not really into open world games or MMO's(or minecraft) and from my research it seems like you really only need a higher end CPU for games like that. The only big open world type games ive played on PC are GTA V, Witcher 3 and Ark Surival Evolved.

Is the I5 6500 enough? Ive looked over at some games on system requirements lab and it seems like it would be. Im sure it is for 1080p, especially paired up with a x70 or x80 gtx series.

I just dont know much about higher resolutions and its affect on PC's. Both my friends play in 1440p and got 6 core CPU's and 980ti's.

I can save up the extra few hundred to get a 6600k if i have to, but if i dont need it for 1440p id rather throw that money at a better GPU.

Future proofing isnt an issue for me either, i tend to upgrade when new tech comes out so if it will last a couple years im good.

Edited by Dovaogedy - 28 May 2016 at 1:09am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2016 at 2:33am
The 6500 is very good and will work just fine. Just no overclocking.

db188 answered this with more detail in your config thread.   
 Post Reply Post Reply