FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this configuration good?

Post Date: 2012-04-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gmankravmaga View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gmankravmaga Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Is this configuration good?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 1:30am
Budget:
2,500 - 3,100

Expectations:
I am a graphic designer and use a large range of programs including most of the adobe design suite. I need a system that can handle working with very large psd files (1-2 GB+) smoothly. I am using dual 1920x1200 monitors and I run multiple applications at a time. (ie. photoshop, illustrator, iTunes, chrome, Firefox and word) I also play games like battlefied 3, Rage, and modern warfare 3 and would like a system that can play those at the highest settings.

Would my configuration below handle all that and last me a long while? (this is an investment and I don't want to buy a new computer every year or two)

I also have 2 questions regarding the components.

1. will i notice a sagnificent difference using my main programs (photoshop, battfield 3) SSD hard drive vs, a HHD hard drive?

2. My system config. right now has stage 2 over clocking on the cpu. Is this a smart choice? I want the most power i can get, but at the same time i want this system to last a long time. Is it enought that i have the liquid cooling to the cpu?

Saved Ticket #:   678871

Thanks so much for your help!!

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) <b></b>
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Edited by Gmankravmaga - 22 Apr 2012 at 1:30am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:36am
Hi Gmankravmaga...Welcome to the forums.

That build is great.  Big%20SmileFor your apps the X79 with quad channel memory and the 6 core chip will play nice.

I don't know SSD all that well but I would say the photoshop would benefit alot, and BF3 only a little in loading new scenes.  The 520 series SSD is recommended . Newer and faster, but others can talk of that better than I.

Stage 2 oc is safe and the H100 will keep it running just fine.

The Hafx case with it's great air flow will have no trouble with the H100 cooled chip and single 680.

My only suggestion would be to change psu to the 750HX.  It's a better rated unit and has 7 year warranty.  The 800w will work fine and DS does extend warranty to 5 years so your call.

If you're gaming on a single monitor the 680 is all you need for most gaming on max.  BF3 on maxed out settings will dip into the 50's at times, briefly, but stay 60's most of the time.  Metro 2033 tests show it dipping into the 40"s at times.  Just turning down a few settings like aa helps alot.

Good luckBig%20Smile

Quote Gmankravmaga Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 9:46am
Thank you so much!! This helps immensely!

Quote Gmankravmaga Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 11:31am
I actully have another 4 questions regaurding the memory.
1. With what i listed that i do above, do i need more memory (i have 16gb 1600mhz) and/or
2. do i need a a faster speed? Would i notice a big diffrence if i upgrade to something like 2133mhz? Or is all of that just over kill?
3. Am I getting good memory buying the digital storm memory or is it better to spend the extra $ and get the crosair vengance memory becouse it is a brand name?
4. If i did get the memory from digital storm and decided later to upgrade my memory could i mix sticks from different companys?

Thanks a ton!!!!!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 11:59am
That's actually areas you probably know better than I.   I don't photoshop, Iluustrator CS5, etc but from all I've heard they will use whatever they can get, depending how intense your work.  16GB IMHO is a safe, very good start.  Adding is easy and why buy now if your apps don't utulize them..Monitoring ram usage will help you decide.  With Win7 Pro you picked, you can go 32GB no problem if needed. 

If you have a 64 bit system than there is no max memory. 

I think all brands are very good.  As far as speed, for gaming it makes no difference but depending on your level of use faster speed might help.  Not sure it's worth the extra money though. If i had to pick extra speed or more ram for the same $$, I'd pick ram. 

Mixing brands is no probelm as long as you match same speed.

Not sure i answered the questions. 

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Apr 2012 at 12:14pm

Quote Gmankravmaga Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 12:32pm
Thank you! That was very helpful. I think I am going to stick to the memory I have got. I am pretty sure I will have all the speed I will need from using the SSD over the regual hardives.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 1:19pm
Yep, I think you' re fine the way it is.     That is a nice build. Best of luck
stephantmi View Drop Down

Quote stephantmi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 5:49pm
I would double the SSD and although it was recommended that I drop my ROG extreme motherboard, I kept it as it supported up to quad SLI.  As things change over the next few years, I can keep up by adding additional 680's...  I also added the 1050 PS....

Another thought, I got the Corsair 650D case, it has a hotswapable SATA 3 port on the top of the case, might help you with backup or transfer of large graphic files... just  a thought
Black Ops Slade
3930K @ OC'd to 4.2MHz
Rampage IV Extreme
1050W Corsair 1050HX
16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
120GB SSD Corsair GT
2-1TB WD Black
Corsair H100 Liquid
2x SLI GTX680
Dual Dell U2711 2560x1440

Quote Gmankravmaga Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 6:06pm
Thanks you bprat22 for all your help!! :)

I will take those suggestions under advisement stephantmi thanks. have to see how much $ all that will cost me lol
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 6:24pm
Hi Gmankravmaga,

Two other thoughts.

First, it seems like you'll have a fairly large number of applications, so make sure that the a 120 GB SSD will be large enough.

Second,  while you want to minimize use of the scratch disk by having sufficient RAM some parts of Photoshop will use scratch regardless of how much RAM is present. To minimize potential slowdowns use an SSD for scratch either by making sure the system drive is large enough to accommodate it or by adding a second small SSD. Currently I'm using the system drive (mine is 120 GB) but am beginning to run a little short on space as I add more applications and will be adding a second SSD for scratch shortly. Prices on SSDs are falling very quickly and 60 GB drives can be found on sale for ~ $75.

Marty

Quote Gmankravmaga Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 6:44pm
Yea I had a feeling I would need more space...but they are just so expensive! Are SSD hard to install? because if not then i could just wait until i fill this one up an then by another one at my local fry's
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:25pm
Nope, easy to install. But, I'd try and make sure that the primary drive is large enough for the OS and applications and avoid splitting over two drives. Should be pretty simple for you to estimate how much space is needed for the OS + applications + restore. Putting scratch on a 2nd drive, now or later, is fine and maybe preferable. As I said adding a separate scratch disk is the step I'm going to take to gain space.

Although still not cheap, SSD prices are coming down rapidly and many good brands can now be found on sale at  $1/GB or less (in sizes 120GB and up).

Marty

Quote Gmankravmaga Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 7:30pm
How would i add a separate scratch disk? Do you mean just using anther disk for programs/applications? (sorry i am a little new to this computer terminology lol)
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 8:44pm
In Photoshop you can assign scratch to any disk(s) on the system. In a system with one SSD like I have, and you've configured, the OS and programs are normally on the SSD and data on the HDD. Photoshop scratch would usually be assigned to the SSD, that's what I've done. Because I'm getting short on space, and don't want to take the performance hit of using the HDD for scratch, I'll add a small second SSD to the computer and change the assignment of scratch from the original system SSD to the new drive, freeing up space the original drive. Typically about 20GB is needed for scratch.

Quote Gmankravmaga Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 11:01pm
Gotcha. Thanks for explaining that to me.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 5:35am
Hi Gmankravmaga,

If you are going to keep the extreme Mobo because you might add up to 4 680s. The 1050 is the wrong PS. I would want the 1200 PS for 3 GPUs and the 1500 PS for 4 GPUs. I know you can add a bigger PS later on but then you are paying for 2 PS. I think it is easier to get the right PS with the initial build. At least consider the 1200 PS.

Frank

Quote Gmankravmaga Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 8:45am
Hey guys ordered the above configuration the other day!!! (I replaced the SSD with the intel 520 120gb per bprat22 suggestion and happy I did so). Just got an email yesterday from DS that I am in Stage 3!!! So excited! I can't wait for it to come! Thanks for the posts, they really all helped me a lot with my decision.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 10:47am
Congrats on the new rig Awesome  That thing is gonna RockDrooling

Quote stephantmi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 11:43am
I would have thought that the Corsair GT would be significantly faster then the Intel 520...
Black Ops Slade
3930K @ OC'd to 4.2MHz
Rampage IV Extreme
1050W Corsair 1050HX
16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
120GB SSD Corsair GT
2-1TB WD Black
Corsair H100 Liquid
2x SLI GTX680
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 2:05pm
Hi stephantmi,

I wonder why you would think that? It would be true with the 320 and most of the time with the 510 but not true with the 520. Especially if you look at the 4kb read/write. The 4kb speeds is what a gamer is interested in as most transfers are small.

The Force GT is faster than the Force 3 but I don't think it is up to the 4kb speeds of the Intel 520. I think the reason for this is the custom firmware from Intel. Corsair has to use what comes from Sandforce. With any of these SSD drives that use the Sandforce 2281 controller you will see similar speeds. The difference will probably come from the firmware and how efficient it is. You can see in reviews that the OCZ and the 520 trade back and forth with who is the fastest with different test. I don't see the Force GT toping the speeds of these two SSDs.

If someone wants a fast SSD with a Giant of a company behind it the Intel 520 is hard to beat. If I wanted a fast SSD for a little less money the reviews I have seen indicate the Samsung 830 is a good choice. Don't know what controller they are using.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 27 Apr 2012 at 8:37am

Quote stephantmi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 3:00pm
Don't really know, the data is all skewed, but the Corsair publishes slightly faster sequential data speeds and random iops.  I agree that Intel has a better name... it was the Corsair that DG recommended for my build...
Black Ops Slade
3930K @ OC'd to 4.2MHz
Rampage IV Extreme
1050W Corsair 1050HX
16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
120GB SSD Corsair GT
2-1TB WD Black
Corsair H100 Liquid
2x SLI GTX680

Quote stephantmi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 3:52pm
Just ran the ATTO benchmark on the Corsair GT, and at at 4k, achieved 529/517 read/write Mb/sec...
Black Ops Slade
3930K @ OC'd to 4.2MHz
Rampage IV Extreme
1050W Corsair 1050HX
16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
120GB SSD Corsair GT
2-1TB WD Black
Corsair H100 Liquid
2x SLI GTX680
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:05am
Hi stephantmi,

As far as speed is concerned with todays SSD there is not a lot of difference between the top drives. The size of the drive and what is being tested gives various results with different makes coming out on top with different testers. The differences with speed are really not that important as far as I am concerned.

You have a good drive with the Corsair GT and the reliability problems with SSDs that used the Sandforce controller are in the past. There are reasons that DS recommends the Corsair over the Intel 520.

1. It is cheaper for the customer to buy so it lowers the overall price of the computer.

2. I assume DS has a purchase agreement with Corsair that makes it attractive for DS to sell Corsair products. There is nothing wrong with this. DS buys from vendors that offer good products at the best price for DS. It makes good business sense to sell the Corsair over the Intel 520. Recommending the Corsair SSD had very little to do with performance.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 28 Apr 2012 at 5:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply