Post Date: 2015-08-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: It's heerrrree...and I notice...
    Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:09am
Well,
My monster machine just arrived.  I've unpacked it, the box was a little banged up but best I can tell it got here 'unscathed'.  A couple of things I immediately noticed is though I ordered the reference 980Ti's, I received the Strix versions.  At first I was pretty ecstatic over this as for those of you that helped me know I was going back and forth about this and didn't want to wait.  However, I'm a bit concerned that I using the Corsair 1200 AIX power supply.  I would have bumped it up to the Corsair 1500 as I'm also running a mild overclock on the 5960X processor.  I won't be doing any additional overclocking and really maybe only adding a hard drive or two down the road.  Should I be concerned here?  I do know DS stress tests but even when I was going through this initially D.S. (John) recommended the 1500 power supply if I was to do x3 Strix with the Stage 1 overclock.

The other thing was the fans.  When I spoke with Jana, they agreed to give me all the fans purchased (I paid the upgrade) so they would ship the 3 fans not being used.  She indicated that they'd be in the box but no such luck.   The did get the other instructions (SSD in the hard drive bay not the hot swap and x3 fans in front vs. x2) so I'm not sure what happened there.  Some sort of disconnect between sales and build/shipping I guess.  However the first point does kind of concern me.  What are people's thoughts?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:19am
The Strix cards are probably under 300W each at full load. The rest of your system, even with a mild overclock on the i7-5960X (do you know what voltage they are running?) will be below 300W. I'm thinking that if you were to run everything at full tilt, you will probably see 1000 to perhaps just above 1100 Watts of power being consumed, which is in the 80's - 90's percent of the PSU's rating for continuous power. The AXi has the Corsair Link functionality in it...if you enable it, you can monitor the power usage of your system with the software.

Call up DS about the fans. They are good about handling that stuff and rectifying any issues and oversights, from my experience.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:28am
I tend to think you're fine with the psu.    Here's a link that shows power dram for sli and if you add the 3rd card at 300 watts the recommended would be a 1200watt.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_980_ti_strix_review,8.html

This assumes you'll be maxing all three cards and that would be a stretch I think.  The 3rd card should stay well below the 100%.   Sli scaling is pretty good, not sure about tri-sli.   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:29am
Oh, congrats on the delivery.  AwesomeStrong

Edit....  I'm interested in how the setup will handle the tri-sli Srix as far as heat.   I know you'll be doing some testing on that.  Hahaha

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Aug 2015 at 9:37am
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:36am
I can honestly see you having zero issues with the 1200W. Even back in the much more power-hungry days a 1200W generally did fine with 3X SLI + OC everything.

And as mentioned, just give DS a shout about the fans. If they said they'd ship you the extras, then they'll make sure you get them. It's also possible they might be getting shipped separately, as DS does that from time to time.

Congrats on the new rig! Strong
OneEyeRed View Drop Down

Quote OneEyeRed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 9:57am
Congrats Dax and enjoy!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Oh, congrats on the delivery.  AwesomeStrong

Edit....  I'm interested in how the setup will handle the tri-sli Srix as far as heat.   I know you'll be doing some testing on that.  Hahaha

+1 Enjoy it trouble free.Strong
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 3:47pm
Congrats on getting your PC! Sounds like a beastly PC.

Power supply should be perfectly fine.

In regards to the fans, sorry, ideally such requests should be on the special notes of the build, or else the phone staff can try their best to try to make requests, but they are not 100%. We're working on solving this issue. Anyways, we'll be happy to send you the extra fans, I've made a note on your order and we'll ship them in the next 1-2 days.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:03pm
UPDATE:

We actually used all six fans in your build, see below:

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:53pm
Alex,
It's funny you mentioned this. While I was hooking this up I did notice the top 2 fans and was wondering if that's the normal configuration. My apologies for my stupidity - lol. I'm in the process of getting everything up and running as we speak. I just need to figure out how to get sound and my printer to work. The thing is a beast. I can't wait to start playing games!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 6:02pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 6:41pm
 Awesome
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 6:56pm
I can't get sound though - it's driving me nuts...Not sure if Windows 10 has anything to do with it but I'm trying to use the onboard Asus Rampage V sound.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 7:56pm
You have it plugged into the green port on the back of the system (motherboard) area?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 6:11am
Hi Dax,

Did you try the suggestions I made in your "No Sound" thread?

Frank
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 7:36am
Hey Dax.....  Just wondering how the new beast is performing.  In particular, I'm curious what you think of the Air 540 and also how the temps are with the tri-Strix?  

Have fun. Big%20Smile
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 7:10am
Hey bprat! I've been meaning to do up a review but life has been getting in the way big time. The PC is terrific. I'm very happy with it other than that RGB lighting issue. I probably should've just got the colored fans or something. I love the Air 540 case. It's very nice looking and it keeps everything pretty cool. Coupled with the H110i, the CPU hasn't gone above around 43 Celsius from what I've seen. The Strix cards and heat haven't been an issue either. So far, the warmest I've seen is I believe the top card got up to 54 Celsius. This is after basic gaming for a few hours (Dying Light). So I'm very happy with the beastly "Borg" cube. It's also quieter than my ancient machine. So other than the lighting (and probably needing new speakers which isn't a PC concern as I think at this point it could be the controller pod on the 5500 Logitech speakers), this gets a big thumbs up!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 7:42am
That's great to hear.   Awesome   I like the Air 540 and would probably get it if I could with a new build.  After looking at the picture above, the front fans' close proximity to the Strixs and their flow must be kicking the heat out from between the cards.   

NICE. Big%20Smile

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 8:10am
Actually I misspoke. The top card does get warm (about 81 Celsius was the max) although the fans really don't kick on at all. The other two cards are much cooler middle card is 54 and 41 Celsius for the bottom. Not an issue really so far. I'm figuring if the Strix fans aren't kicking in, there isn't a problem (unless it's faulty of course - lol).
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 8:25am
81C is still well within the safe zone.    My MSI Gamer 4G 970 with 0 rpm fans like the Strix turn on at about 63C.  Never hear them, either way.  I believe the 980Ti Strix also turns on at 60'ish.    But if it never goes over 81 then something is turning on. Big%20Smile  

FarCry3 , the most gpu demanding game I've played never sees the 970 go over 72C.  My old 570 would hit the 90"s with FC3 until I turned the voltage down and put my side fans back in.  

Thanks for the feedback.

Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

Actually I misspoke. The top card does get warm (about 81 Celsius was the max) although the fans really don't kick on at all. The other two cards are much cooler middle card is 54 and 41 Celsius for the bottom. Not an issue really so far. I'm figuring if the Strix fans aren't kicking in, there isn't a problem (unless it's faulty of course - lol).

The STRIX fans kick in under pretty high load. I guess all the extra heat pipes and radiators that make the card so dang heavy are worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply