FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Its that Time Again

Post Date: 2016-03-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
xii View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Its that Time Again
    Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 11:12pm
Budget:
No budget

Expectations:
Gaming, Rendering, VR, Possible Multi-screen Surround /w high FPS

Usage:
See expectations

Special Needs:
Ease of installation of new hardware. I also have 1 Samsung EVO (of the two selected) to install. I also have the following items to install into the computer (which would lower the price):

1x Intel i7 5960x Processor
1x Western Digital Black 6gb
64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum Memory
Rampage Motherboard from Asus

Saved Ticket #: 1391371

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Exotic Paint Finish - Envy Green - Metallic Translucent Gloss Finish (3-4 Week Extra Lead Time)
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 1500W Corsair AX1500i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: Option Not Available
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 8x / CD-Writer 8x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 3: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 4x SLI Quad (NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (4x Graphics Cards + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Green Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LED Airflow Performance Edition (Green) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: Bundle: T-Shirt (EXTRA LARGE) + Water Bottle + Carbon Fiber Pen + Leather Keychain
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 6 Year Limited Warranty (6 Year Labor & 4 Year Part Replacement)

Notes: I have 2 GTX 980TI 6GB cards already, I was wondering if I should do two more or will I get more out of 4 Titan X?
I saw a review that said the 980TI's were slightly better but I do not know if they has the 12GB Titans in comparison.

I also want to game on a minimum of a 35 inch screen. 144 refresh preferably. I am interested in curved display's unless you all suggest otherwise. I currently have the AVENTUM 2 and I love, love, love, love it, however upgrading parts is brutal for me - cause well - I be dumb.

If you have any questions - just ask.

Much Love!

- Xii
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 3:38am
Hi xii, been awhile.

As usual, you're putting together a beast of a rig.   

Big question is whether Titanx or the 980 ti will work best for you.   In most cases, the extra vram in the Titan does little. It's more of a bragging right then reality.     In fact, in some gaming the 980 ti actually works better. And most testing shows the 4th card doing very little over sli or tri sli.   But, some testing, including DS's, does show better frames with a 4th card. Lots of variables.

You might be the exception. If you want the option to surround game in 4K at 144 hz, then the Titan X might be worth it over the 980 ti. The extra vram might help.   The size of the screen doesn't matter, just the resolution.

Rendering.... Depends your level. The Titan with its massive 12gb vram was originally designed for professional and scientific calculations where the extra ram is needed to manipulate and calculate the large files.   If you work in large unoptimized files , the extra vram might be worth it.    All that geometry, ray tracing, etc can suck up the memory.

It's hard to recommend what vram you need from here.   If the budget allows, get the titanx and never look back.

Are you finding your 980ti's handling the rendering, vram wise?   If so, then just add to those.

Best bang is the 980ti. Best " what if" are the Titans.

Hope this helps and let us know.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 3:48am
Also, For single 4K, 3 cards actually test faster than 4 way sli with some games. The 4 th card isn't usually needed.   For surround, 3 monitors, I haven't seen any benches, but it has to help with the 4th card, I'm guessing.   Scaling isn't giving much consideration by developers above 3 way sli, however.   

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Mar 2016 at 3:48am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 5:10am
Looking back at my responses it seems I'm all over the place in dealing with the added vram and also the 4 th card. Not a sure fire response.    That's because the vram needed is so individual and for most the 6gb is fine.    The 4 th card confusion and decision is also very individual, with very little testing with 4 th card in surround, that I can find.    These are areas where only a small percentage of people delve into.   Not a lot of info.      

Still think for surround 4K, if that's the resolution, a 4 way with Titan would be beneficial, but not sure the added money is worth it.    

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:09am
We are also getting close to the release of Pascal and the new features of DirectX 12. Both of these will have an impact on how we use GPUs. I think on April 5th we will know more about Pascal performance. The rumor is one will be revealed at the GPU Technology Conference Unfortunately the first releases may be the mobility lineup in mid June.

Good things are going to happen in 2016.

Frank
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:25am
Hi xii,

Haven't seen you posting this year so nice to see you back. That will be a killer system but I hope you take your time figuring it all out. I normally never recommend four GPUs, especially Titans. The cost to performance goes to the devil with that fourth GPU.   The new to come Pascal and DirectX-12 is going to have a big impact how we use GPUs. But it is only speculation right now. Three Titans would give you a heck of a power house and is available today. The Titans should benefit from DirectX-12.

Frank
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 12:12pm
Hey everyone!

Thanks for the input - I am definitely going to take my time with it.

- Xii
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 1:33pm
Wow. That's one brute of a system. Strong And ALL GREEN!!! Someone around here is going to be beyond excited. Chilling
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 2:21pm
Notes: I have 2 GTX 980TI 6GB cards already, I was wondering if I should do two more or will I get more out of 4 Titan X? you'll get more out of 4xTitan X.  the question is how much more and under what conditions?  there is a point at which diminishing returns kicks in.  you'll render faster, but how much faster is open to debate.  if/when/how game developers choose to utilize DX12's GPU Multi-adapter tech can make a difference in cpu and gpu bound scenarios.   
I saw a review that said the 980TI's were slightly better but I do not know if they has the 12GB Titans in comparison. actually the reviews i've read state the opposite.  the Titan X is slightly faster/more powerful.  the general thinking is that its slight performance lead isn't worth the wide price gap, so from a "value" perspective the 980ti is "better".

I also want to game on a minimum of a 35 inch screen. 144 refresh preferably. I am interested in curved display's unless you all suggest otherwise. I currently have the AVENTUM 2 and I love, love, love, love it, however upgrading parts is brutal for me - cause well - I be dumb.  
that rules out 4k at this point in time.  even multiple screens in surround won't require 4 or even 3 Titan X's.  you're looking at 2k (1440p) resolution if you want over 60Hz refresh rate.  my 2xsli 980ti's running 3x1080p monitors in surround is overkill.  i would think 2 titans or 2-3 980ti's are more than capable of handling 3x1440p monitors with max game settings.  

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 2:28pm
Hey thanks! Good info to know.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 4:59pm
@xii, welcome back!
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 5:01pm
@Alex

THANKS!

Also, is there a way in the configuration manager to get the parts I listed removed so I can update the price?

I am looking forward to building a 4th computer with you guys.

- Xii
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 5:17pm
Awesome! Thank you for being a loyal customer.

I will have to ask the team to try. I suggest sending me an email with your final configuration ID and the items to remove so we can do the math and remove each one. I assume you want us to install those items for you? If so, please note, we will not be able to offer you warranty service on such parts, so if any go bad, you will have to replace and warranty that yourself.
 Post Reply Post Reply