FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeff's Digital Storm System Review‏

Post Date: 2010-04-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jtwillia View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jtwillia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Jeff's Digital Storm System Review‏
    Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 11:21am

Before I start the system review a little preamble.  The one critical application for me is Flight Simulator.  Every computer I have purchased for the last 15 years has been chosen to run Flight Simulator with the highest fidelity and speed possible (within my budget).   My last two computers were from Falcon Northwest and Velocity Micro.  I first learned of Digital Storm from the May 2009 Anandtech  Digital Storm Core i7-965 review.   For the past 9 months or so I would periodically visit the Digital Storm site and build my “dream” configuration system.   I was also checking Falcon Northwest and Velocity Micro for comparable configurations but I always found that I preferred the component options available from Digital Storm.    In February just after the conclusion of a 96 hour Flight Simulator event my computer experienced a motherboard failure.   Repair or replace?  I decided it was time to replace.

I placed the order for my DS system on March 2

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm HailStorm (Black OPS Edition)
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 975 3.33GHz (Quad Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: !SALE: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1250W Enermax Galaxy EVO (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH160G2R5)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (256GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: CMFSSD-256GBG2D)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed WD2001FASS 2TB)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock the processor between 4.0GHz to 4.2GHz (Requires H20 Cooling Upgrade)
Graphics Boost: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: Yes, Overclock memory frequency (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
OS Boost: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Office: Microsoft Office 2007 Basic (Word Excel Outlook)
Pre-Install Game: Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition (Pre-Install, apply updates, and test gameplay with my system)
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

A brief phone call with Sarah helped me finalize my configuration and then it was a matter watching and waiting as the system progressed through the stages.  

Stage 2: (Inventory Assignment)               March 8

Stage 3: (Phase 1 Integration)                    March 8

Stage 4: (Engineering Lab)                            March 8

Stage 5: (Phase 2 Stress Testing)               March 10

Stage 6: (Quality Assurance)                       March 22

Stage 7: (QA Passed)                                      April 2

Overclocked Processor Settings

Processor Speed GHz: 4.1
CPU Multiplier: 25
Voltage CPU VCore: 1.375
VDroop Control: Yes
i7 - BCLK MHz: 165
i7 - Voltage CPU VTT: 175

On April 1 I called and spoke with Eric about the QA delay and was advised that they were waiting on Flight Simulator.  I requested that they ship the system and ship FSX Gold separately when it arrived.

The system was delivered to my home on Friday April 9 where my hands on experience began.  The box arrived in very good condition and there was no damage.  The first power on bootup was not successful.   I checked the SATA and power cables, and reseating the disk drives but the system still could not seem to find the boot device.  There was a message “No Drives Found.”   I decided to contact Digital Storm support and consulted the Digital Storm notebook to get the support phone number.   I was very surprised that I could not find any Digital Storm phone number on any of the enclosed documentation including the order receipt.   I called my brother and had him go online to Digital Storm website and find the phone number.   I logged the problem by phone.   I continued to troubleshoot the bootup failure.  I removed all disks except the SSD that had the OS and still not bootup.  I then tried to  boot from Windows DVD which worked.  I ejected the Windows DVD and restarted and this time the system did boot from the hard drive and recognized the other drives.  I was back in business.   I got an email from Digital Storm on Monday notifying me that they had created a trouble ticket.  I sent an update by web to let them know they could close the ticket.  I also received a confirmation phone call from Mike.

Pictures of my “Out of Box Experience” below.

It took me the better part of a week to install and configure Flight Simulator X and the many add-ons I have on the 256GB Corsair SSD.  My current FSX installation is 115GB and having it on the SSD really speeds up the time to load a flight compared to my previous hard drive installation.  I did have some problems with surround sound so I decided to install the Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum card from my old PC.  It was an unpleasant surprise to discover that both PCI slots were obstructed by wiring which prevented me from installing the card.  The case lighting  switch uses one of the PCI slots but the wiring also blocks the second PCI slot.   I notified Digital Storm by mail and received a call back from Robert the next day.  I have sent a pictures and he is checking into it.   In the meantime I was able to get surround sound working using the on-board sound.

Overall I am very happy with my new Digital Storm system.  My flight simulator experience is an order of magnitude better.  I have pushed most of the visual effects sliders full right and am getting very smooth performance.  The system build took a little longer than I expected.   All of the Digital Storm folks I have had contact with have been very pleasant and professional.   

Jeff Williams
Grandpa View Drop Down

Quote Grandpa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 8:42pm
Looks like the cover for the HD cables may have come loose during shipping.

Don't understand why they put the tags on the top front like that.  Sure hurts the looks.

Edited by Grandpa - 24 Apr 2010 at 2:28am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 3:13pm
Great system!

Your HDD SATA cable cover is loose from shipping.

@Grandpa, Microsoft want's us to place the Windows sticker ont he right side, top left corner. We then place our serial number sticker next to it since it will be easier for us to tell our customers where it is located. A customer can always move them after if they wish.
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 7:57pm
o_O how come u get a PCI slot lighting cover....I didn't...D:
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:57pm
jtwillia,

I was wondering if it would be alright if we used your pictures on our FaceBook to show off some of the craftsmanship that is the master piece that we call your computer?
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

jtwillia View Drop Down

Quote jtwillia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2010 at 11:50am

Sarah,

Digital Storm is free to use any of the pictures you like.

Jeff
Jeff Williams
Sarah View Drop Down

Hardcore Gamer

Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 May 2010 at 1:08pm
Thank you very much Jeff! We appreciate it!
Sarah
If you have sales questions, please contact [email protected]

<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2010 at 1:57am
i didnt read any of the text, so if this has already been addressed, sorry
why such a big power supply?
you could easily run that off a 750W
roadkingbill View Drop Down

Quote roadkingbill Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:48pm
I had same problem with adding a sound card. I unplugged the HD audio to get my Creative card to fit.
Kinigos View Drop Down

Quote Kinigos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 10:26am
I'll be honest - this sounds like a lot of problems to find right out of the box from a premier gaming PC builder. The boot issue on it's own is bad enough, but blocking the expansion slots due to the way they routed the wiring seems very hard to understand.

Personally, if I have to do a single thing expect plug it in and hit the power switch after I spend >$3000 on a PC I'll be pretty upset.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Kinigos

Personally, if I have to do a single thing expect plug it in and hit the power switch after I spend >$3000 on a PC I'll be pretty upset.

That's the fault of the shipping company and not DS or any other computer builder. Obviously it was working when it left DS. There is very little you can do to prevent things from possibly vibrating lose from a 800+ mile trip, but DS does their best, their packaging is amazing.

Luckily reseating is easy for most components, it is literately just unplugging and plugging them back in to get them snug again. In this PC's case, as a guess I'd say the connections weren't checked well enough on both sides of the connection, both where the SATA cables and SATA power cables plug into the drives themselves and where they plug into the motherboard and power supply, that is 4 connections per drive that need to be checked if it isn't being detected.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Kinigos View Drop Down

Quote Kinigos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Dragoonseal

That's the fault of the shipping company and not DS or any other computer builder. Obviously it was working when it left DS. There is very little you can do to prevent things from possibly vibrating lose from a 800+ mile trip, but DS does their best, their packaging is amazing.Luckily reseating is easy for most components, it is literately just unplugging and plugging them back in to get them snug again. In this PC's case, as a guess I'd say the connections weren't checked well enough on both sides of the connection, both where the SATA cables and SATA power cables plug into the drives themselves and where they plug into the motherboard and power supply, that is 4 connections per drive that need to be checked if it isn't being detected.

Fair enough. It just seems like with the hundreds (thousands?) of PC's they build, they could come up with some way to "lock" the connectors in place - but probably nothing will ever be that foolproof.

Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 11:10am
Awesome rig and nice setup you got there!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 12:29pm

Fair enough. It just seems like with the hundreds (thousands?) of PC's they build, they could come up with some way to "lock" the connectors in place - but probably nothing will ever be that foolproof.

I wish it was that easy. They do have locking connectors, but they aren't secure enough. Connections can still jolt loose from shipping.

As a system builder, we're the only company to take as many precautions in protecting our customers system during shipping transit. I'll list a few:

1. We offer our customers the option to purchase wooden crates to provide sturdy protection.

2. The use of an internal expanding foam mold process with every computer. This takes shape to the inside of the system and provides firm pressure to hold the video card and other components in their slots during shipping.

3. The use of placing foam pieces throughout the internal areas of the computer to hold any other components or items in place from shipping.

4. In addition, using our foam machine, on certain high-end builds, we place external expanding foam around the outside of the computer creating a secure and soft mold to protect the system.

5. Just recently, the use of steel rods to secure the sheer weight of a triple/quad video card setup using heavy full coverage water blocks.

Basically to sum things up, we do a lot in terms of trying to ensure our customers receive the best product in the market. All the way from: configurator items (overclocking, liquid cooling, etc), aggressive pricing, quality components, extensive testing, quality checks, and customer support/service.
Patrick_DS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Patrick_DS Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 12:52pm
^^ That is way above and beyond! So awesome!!!
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 1:07pm
When, specifically, do you use the foam???
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Bullseye

When, specifically, do you use the foam???

I assume you are referring to our external foam mold process (pictured below) since the internal one is used for every computer.

The external foam mold process is used for systems that are subject to external damage from shipping such as our Stage 6 liquid cooling system with an external mounted radiator. If not, the normal packaging procedure where we suspend the computer between two layers of heavy duty film act as a great shock absorber protecting the PC in transit.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 1:36pm
Oh ok thanks for cleaning that up for me!
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Alex

If not, the normal packaging procedure where we suspend the computer between two layers of heavy duty film act as a great shock absorber protecting the PC in transit.

Any chance of getting pictures or a video up demonstrating this? I consider it a definite selling point as it's much better than the old packaging, but currently the DS unpacking video only shows the old packaging. The film suspension is a little hard to explain in text as well, easier to just show people it.
Lilim
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 2:05am
Ya that would be great just to let us have an idea of how you guys pack the systems now. But also in the video mention that it only comes with stage 6 LC
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Bullseye

Ya that would be great just to let us have an idea of how you guys pack the systems now. But also in the video mention that it only comes with stage 6 LC

Only that big liquid foam gun is for the Stage 6 LC (or anything else delicate enough), their new strong film suspension is for everything else. And that film suspension is amazing, so like I said it would be nice to have a video or pictures of it to show it off.
Lilim
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:36am
Ya you guys should make a video all about how you package stuff
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 1:10pm
Sure! We'll do something like that soon.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 3:03pm
It'd be awesome, and whatever happened to Gabbers videos??
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 3:39pm
Let's try to keep the focus of this topic based on the original post.

Gabber videos are on hold while we work on great new exciting things for our customers.
 Post Reply Post Reply