FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just a little more help please

Post Date: 2015-02-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dsrtpnk View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dsrtpnk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Just a little more help please
    Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 11:00am
I posted before asking if my PC would be able to handle an additional internal hard drive for space. Unfortunately, after hooking it up the hard rive wasn't being read. To make matters worse my PC slows down when starting and sometimes cannot start my Windows OS.
My mother board is a ASUS X99-DELUXE (Intel X99 Chipset) and the hard drive is a Seagate 4TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive.

Am I just plugging the sata cable into the wrong port or is there some kind of setup to install a new drive? I'm only trying to have this drive used for music and movies, not my OS. Thanks.
-M Rod
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 11:50am
HI dsrtpnk....  Without knowing exactly what you connected to and what, I  linked a setup guide that should help you get up and running....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/131231/how-to-install-a-new-hard-drive-in-your-desktop-pc.html

Basically,  you power down., you mount the drive, connect a SATA power connector from the cables coming form the power supply

Connect one end of a SATA data cable to the back of the drive, next to the SATA power cable, and the other end to an empty SATA port on the motherboard.

Power up and then go to Start, right click Computer, select Manage and Disc Management.    On the right you'll see all your drives.  Your new one might have a black bar above it meaning not-allocated.  A blue bar means it is allocated.  Right click the space of your new drive and with the drop down menu select Initialize if needed and Format if needed. 

Some will go into Bios after installing the drive, DEL key on booting, and make sure the new drive shows up.  If not, recheck all the connections. 

The guide a should walk you thru it.

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile

The slow down could be Windows conflicted about which drive to use.   Remove the cables from the new drive, nothing going to the mobo from new drive,  boot to windows just so Windows knows for sure what drive is the OS.  Then power down and re-install the new drive.    Don't use the Windows CD to install a new drive unless its to be your new OS boot drive. 

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Feb 2015 at 11:56am
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 12:31pm
Along with what Bprat said, watch the motherboard for any LEDs that stay on (other than power or networking) or an error code. The error code could be like 22,34,02 - F2, D5 etc.

You might check the HDD manual to see if you need to move a master/slave switch or jumper to set this drive as a slave to the primary drive (master).

Check the motherboard manual for the connectors for the drives. If, like me, you can't read that little print you can download it from:

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/HelpDesk_Manual/

if none of this fixes the problem:

To open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then click Search.)

2.Enter Troubleshooting in the search box, tap or click Troubleshooting, and then tap or click Hardware and Sound.

3.Tap or click Hardware and Devices, and follow the on-screen instructions. Administrator permission required You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

Let us know the end results.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 12:53pm
An after thought.

Did the drive come with the Seagate disk wizard software? This allows easy installation and set-up.

If not you can download it here:

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/discwizard-master-dl/

Vanquish II Ultimate.
dsrtpnk View Drop Down

Quote dsrtpnk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 8:56pm
Thank you for all the advice. bprat22 was correct in Disc Management. I thought my OS would automatically read the hard drive like an external hard drive. Thanks for the links Pacesetter, I saved them in case I run into any problems in the future.
This is my first desktop, I'm glad this forum exists. Thanks again.
-M Rod
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 3:09am
Our pleasure.      That Big drive should keep you going for awhile.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:05pm
It's always best when things are a simple fix.

glad ya got it going.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
 Post Reply Post Reply