FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just got new Vanquish L4 - Problems. Please help.

Post Date: 2015-04-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ghosthunter View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ghosthunter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Just got new Vanquish L4 - Problems. Please help.
    Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 12:18pm
Hi guys. First post here, as i've only been reading posts until now.
I ordered a Vanquish Level 4 Ultimate and just received it this weekend. Upon setting everything up, the initial boot up had a very loud clicking noise. I opened it up and it took me a bit to figure out what it was, but it was a bundle of cords that were hitting the fan in the rear of the case. Got that fixed.

Now, onto the issue that is really wrong and I need help. I've spent 6 hours since yesterday when i first booted up attempting to solve this issue, and still cannot. My computer is making an electrical interference noise (buzzing / humming, tone changes depending on what is happening on my computer) coming from the speakers.

I've googled it for countless hours and tried so many of the supposed fixes. Trying different outlets, plugging the speakers in elsewhere, rearranging wireless (wifi card) devices elsewhere, etc. To no avail. I've also tried disabling all other audio in devices, and changing frequencies from 24 bit 4800/ to cd quality 16 bit, as i read online could fix it. Nothing has changed it. :/
When moving my mouse around, and using the scroll wheel on webpages, there is a light interference noise, but it is okay. I could handle this. The time it gets bad, is whenever i boot up the game i bought the PC for, GTA: V. (or any other game. I tried a few). The buzzing gets very loud from the speakers and makes enjoying the games impossible. I don't use headphones, ever. If this matters.

I'm using a 2 speaker + 1 subwoofer setup by Sony (RealTEK HD audio) pretty basic as that's all i want.

If someone could please help me so that i am able to enjoy this computer i bought.. i would very much appreciate it. All i've done on the PC is download the latest drivers, install google chrome, Steam, and Origin (with their respective games that i own). If anybody can solve this for me, i would be forever in your debt!

I am off to work for the evening but will try and new ideas or solutions later on that you guys can come up with, if any. I'm going to call support on Monday, but if i could get it fixed before then that would be wonderful. It's an incredibly frustrating issue. :/

(PS: I've also tried a different mouse. Nothing has worked! :(
I have my speakers going into the green "line in" jack on the back of my vanquish as i was told to do, and as i've always done. That's the only connection for me to even plug into the computer, as the subwoofer is wired into the Left speaker which is the control speaker.

Edited by ghosthunter - 25 Apr 2015 at 12:24pm
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 12:44pm

Sounds like it is picking up interference from the graphics card.

Try reinstalling the graphics driver using "clean install" then uninstall and reinstall the sound card drivers. Download both drivers from the respective websites rather than using update driver and install from the downloaded drivers.

There should be a separate port (plug in) for the subwoofer. Check for that. If it isn't labeled the Realtek sound manager should have a configuration or settings that shows it. If not, check the website for your specific motherboard - ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 12:53pm
I would open the side panel with the rig unplugged and try reseating the graphics card, ram and the connections to the motherboard. An audio cable comes from the front panel, where the usb, front audio jack, hdd light, etc. Make sure they are seated properly. They probably go to lower right of the motherboard.   Your mobo manual has a picture showing connections.

Try the front green audio jack.

Could be that front panel wiring is picking up interference.   Go into Realtek Control Panel, click folder in upper right and check 'disable front panel audio', or something similar.

Worse case, unplug your video card and plug the monitor into the motherboard dvi, hdmi,etc, next to the rear fan. This will check for a video card causing an issue.

Good luck.

Pacesetter has quick fingers on the keys.   

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Apr 2015 at 12:55pm

Quote ghosthunter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by bprat22

I would open the side panel with the rig unplugged and try reseating the graphics card, ram and the connections to the motherboard. An audio cable comes from the front panel, where the usb, front audio jack, hdd light, etc. Make sure they are seated properly. They probably go to lower right of the motherboard.   Your mobo manual has a picture showing connections.

Try the front green audio jack.

Could be that front panel wiring is picking up interference.   Go into Realtek Control Panel, click folder in upper right and check 'disable front panel audio', or something similar.

Worse case, unplug your video card and plug the monitor into the motherboard dvi, hdmi,etc, next to the rear fan. This will check for a video card causing an issue.

Good luck.

Pacesetter has quick fingers on the keys.   

My monitor is plugged into DVI, near the bottom of the back of the vanquish system (DVI plug in).
Also, for ya'll suggesting for me to unplug and move some things around, i can't - i have virtually no knowledge of anything inside the PC. I bought the pre-built system rather than building my own to avoid having to do anything like this.

UPDATE: Tried for 2 more hours tonight after work. Tried plugging audio speakers into a different wall outlet, seperating the mouse jack in, etc. and did plenty more research, still to no avail. Some fixes i found online were that there was poor grounding (whatever that is) or issues with a GPU / CPU. Coil whine, i read something about - but again, i know nothing of how to do these things and don't have the time to learn which is why i purchased digital storm. The fixes that i COULD try - didn't work, and i don't think it should be an issue with the card or other things inside my tower as these online threads i've read are saying, since it came straight from DS...

If anybody has any advice, i would seriously appreciate it. I was looking forward to getting my order so much and now it's entirely dissapointing because of this issue. I booted up GTA:V to try and play and ignore the sound and convince myself it wasn't there, but after 10 minutes i had a headache. :/

Edited by ghosthunter - 25 Apr 2015 at 11:52pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 3:23am
Did you get a chance to try the front audio plug?

If still a problem, disable the front audio by going into Realtek Control Panel, click the folder above the audio output indicators and look around.     Your control panel might be different.   To get there, either right click the audio icon in lower right or go into Device Manager then sound.   While in there, you might see, under sound drop down, Realtek and Nvidia listed.    Right click the Nvidia listings and select Disable.   You only need Realtek if you're using DVI.   The Nvidia sound drivers are for hdmi audio pass through.

These are all long shots, but you might get lucky.    It could be a bad motherboard.
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 6:52am
I had that problem a LONG LONG time ago with another system.  Are your computer and speakers properly grounded?

As I recall, my speakers were 2-pronged and plugged into a non-grounded extension cord.  I plugged them into an extension that was 3-pronged and the problem went away.  Instantly.

Edited by forrest74 - 26 Apr 2015 at 6:54am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 7:08am
The comment by forrest74 brought up another thought.  Big%20Smile    Make sure the AC wall outlet is grounded.   Not sure how critical it is but could make a difference. 

Also, you did mention that a wiring harness was hitting your rear fan.   The only harness I can think of in that area would be the 8 pin ATX cable that plugs into the top left of the motherboard.  It has 12vdc and ground connections.  Eyeball the wires for any bare wires or the plug not seated tight.  Just have to push on it, power off of course.  

Hope something we said helps out. 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 9:52am

Did you try what I posted about the drivers?

I went through this with a SoundBlaster Audigy FX card and after trying all I knew ( the temporary fix for me was to use HDMI to monitor and use monitor speakers rather than my Labtec set up) I called DS and Mike said " I know exactly what it is. Reinstall the graphics drivers using a clean install."

It worked.

Your name fits for this problem! It is like hunting down a ghost!

Edited by Pacesetter - 26 Apr 2015 at 9:56am
Vanquish II Ultimate.

Quote ghosthunter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Pacesetter

Did you try what I posted about the drivers?

I went through this with a SoundBlaster Audigy FX card and after trying all I knew ( the temporary fix for me was to use HDMI to monitor and use monitor speakers rather than my Labtec set up) I called DS and Mike said " I know exactly what it is. Reinstall the graphics drivers using a clean install."

It worked.

Your name fits for this problem! It is like hunting down a ghost!

Not sure where to find my sound card drivers on my pc, or how to do a clean install. (Again, sorry guys. Very little knowledge on these things).

On another note, tried using a different outlet again (to assure it is "grounded") and another extension cord combo, same problem. I went up to Best Buy this morning and bought a Logitech 5.1 surround system with all new cords, thinking this would fix it. Nope. Same thing. So i've isolated it to coming from the PC.

EDIT: Googled the clean install instructions and i see nVidia gives it at a custom option when doing it, so redownloading driver right now. Also googled my RealTek and see a driver that came out last week. Will install these once done downloading and see.

Only thing that concerns me is i don't believe this PC even has a soundcard, just an on-board something? I didn't add a soundcard to it.

Edited by ghosthunter - 26 Apr 2015 at 10:30am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:35am
The Realtek driver is for the motherboard's onboard sound, if its the right one.  The Vanquish don't ship with a separate sound card, as you mentioned. 

What happens when you plug your speaker into the front jack and I would still check the wires that were rubbing against the fan and the plug they go to.

Good luck with the Nvidia driver for your gt 970 and Realtek driver for your mobo.  Fingers crossed. 

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:44am

Go to control panel and select 'device manager'. the select sound video and game controllers. Right click on 'realtek HD...' (may be named differently but will have realtek in the name) - select 'properties' and click on the driver tab. Click 'uninstall driver'.

Then install the driver from this link, or from your motherboard manufacturer. (This link is a generic driver since realtek doesn't make drivers for all the different motherboards but it works well)

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Nvidia driver can be downloaded from this link.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/83079

Down load it - select 'run' - then select 'advanced' and check 'clean install'.

After this restart your system.

Hopefully this takes care of your problem, but if not stick with us or call DS on Monday and ask for Mike to call you.

Edited by Pacesetter - 26 Apr 2015 at 10:48am
Vanquish II Ultimate.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:46am
Bprat, you're getting faster all the time.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:58am
Gotta be fast to keep up with you youngsters.   Hahaha

I barely remember 62.  Big%20Smile
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 11:17am
Who is 62?

I'm 21 with 41 years experience!

Vanquish II Ultimate.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 5:08pm
"Only thing that concerns me is i don't believe this PC even has a soundcard, just an on-board something? I didn't add a soundcard to it."

The on board sound is commonly referred to as a 'soundcard' when discussing audio and sound.

Vanquish II Ultimate.

Quote ghosthunter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 9:15pm
Just an update guys,
I've done a clean install on both the audio driver and my nvidia driver, still the same issue. Not sure what else to try. Will be calling DS Monday morning (tomorrow) and hopefully they can help me get this resolved so I don't have to send it back.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me, awesome community. I appreciate you all.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 10:10pm
Appreciate the update and am sorry we couldn't get this solved for you.

It will be interesting to see what DS finds. Maybe we all can learn something.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:17am
Appreciate the update.   Like Pacesetter, I wish we could have got it fixed, but DS will fix this.

Let us know how you make out.   
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:56am
Hi ghosthunter,

I am late to the party and I know DS will get you fixed up shortly. 

I would be very suspicious of your speakers and grounding.  If your speakers has a two pronged plug that is not polarized (one prong bigger than the other) I would unplug the speakers, turn the plug over and plug back in.

Frank

Quote ghosthunter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:25pm
Hey guys, talked to someone from DS for an hour shortly ago.
We opened it up and he walked me through inspection of the inside, and the problem remains. I tested the grounding and wiring, even tried plugging the speakers into an ipad to assure it wasn't the speakers again - it was crystal clear. They are sending me a soundcard in the mail which i won't receive til next week it seems. The DS employee told me if it doesn't work at that point then they recommend me take it into a local store to get it looked at, saying they usually recommend that instead of sending it back.

I feel sort of robbed in a way, being stuck with this issue and having been told i should take it into another store. No disrespect to DS, and i've heard only positive things with them but this experience is anything but. My worry now is that when i get this soundcard (and will have to call back about installing it, because i don't have a clue how), that the issue will remain and i'll then be stuck with this loud static noise that makes my computer rather useless for what i originally bought it for.

Much appreciation to anyone who has helped so far.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:47pm
My original thought was a bad motherboard if the connections were good.   The sound card bypasses the motherboards audio and might do it. Did you get an option to send it back for repair?

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 4:31pm
Hi ghosthunter,

I'm sorry to hear about your sound issue. It seems quite weird with the issue you're having. Normally for things like this, they're quite easy to resolve over the phone. The last thing the team wanted was for it to come back and turn out to be something easy on your end and then having you pay for the shipping costs on the unit.

We're definitely more than happy to help you take care of the system. If you would like us to review it and you feel it's something wrong with the PC, we can take care of it.

Feel free to email our team back at "[email protected]"
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 4:32pm
OOPS, looks like I jumped the response here. I just checked your order and it appears we're going to be sending you a sound card to see if that helps resolve the issue.

As always, we're here to help, contact us at any time. Thanks!

Quote ghosthunter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 6:26pm
Thanks, Alex.
When i receive the sound card (soon hopefully) i'll have to call the office back for help installing it.

As a side note: I never use headphones because I prefer to listen over the speakers, but i was curious - i plugged an old Razor set of headphones into the headphone jack on the front of my system, and it was producing crystal clear audio in-game, but the speakers were still spitting out static and interference noise, so i unplugged those from the back and it stopped.

While I don't like using headphones, this was interesting and hoping someone can confirm this means it is the motherboard audio plug-in in the back being faulty, meaning when i install the soundcard i am being sent, it will be fixed?

Thanks guys.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 6:38am
Interesting... so the noise only happens if you have a device plugged into the back, not the front?

If so, it could be some grounding issue... the new sound card would help, but I would recommend you plug the sound card or speakers to the back of the PC, on the new sound card.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 6:47am
If the headphones work good in the front headphone jack, the speakers should also.  Did you ever try the speakers plugged into the front headphone jack like was suggested?    They will work there, also, not just for headphones. 

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:05am
Take the headphones and plug them into the back audio jack where the speakers are now.. if the sound is clear then the problem is not with the sound card, but the speakers themselves, imho. If the speakers are hissing in both jacks, then it's confirmed.

Quote ghosthunter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:18am
To address some of the above,

- I went and bought brand new 5.1 surround set and the static / interference is still occurring on both the new and original speakers. So the speakers are eliminated as a possible issue.

- I tried plugging the speakers into the front headphone jack and then my realtek audio window pops up asking what I plugged in. If I select "Line in", the speakers don't work at all. There is no audio playing. If I plug them into the front and select "headphones" (even though they aren't), they do play audio but it sounds distorted and also has no bass (I'm guessing because it's not using my subwoofer and speakers properly since I had to select headphones since line-in option made it not work entirely).

- I tried plugging the headphones into the back audio jack where the speakers would normally go, and the static interference/ buzzing noise is coming through the headphones.

Sidenote: after saying all the above, should I go ahead and just use my headphones in the front jack until the sound card arrives? The sound quality is fine coming through the headphones but there is an actual buzzing coming from the hardware (right where I plug in the headphones into the front jack) when in a game. The buzzing on the hardware stops if I minimize or quit a game.
I would go ahead and do this as I can't hear the buzzing coming from the headphone jack while I have them on, but if this is damaging my system (it sounds painful for a brand new system...) I don't want to be ignoring this if its not normal.

Edited by ghosthunter - 28 Apr 2015 at 7:20am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:30am
I'm wondering if the buzzing you are hearing in a game is the video card giving you coil whine.   It's an external whine but might get picked up by speakers, but that's a guess.  Some cards do it and some don't and some are louder than others.  The coil whine is not unusual but shouldn't be so loud it causes what you are describing.

Google 'coil whine' for a better understanding of what it is.  Easier than trying to explain it here. 

If it is coil whine, then DS will have to determine if a replacement card in in order. 

Edited by bprat22 - 28 Apr 2015 at 7:31am

Quote ghosthunter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Take the headphones and plug them into the back audio jack where the speakers are now.. if the sound is clear then the problem is not with the sound card, but the speakers themselves, imho. If the speakers are hissing in both jacks, then it's confirmed.

When plugging the speakers into the front headphone jack, my computer won't recognize them, i guess. The audio icon in the bottom right gets a red X and says "no speakers or headphones connected" but if i plug in the headphones, yeah- the sound is great. But like i said, there is this medium-level buzzing sound coming from the headphone jack itself when playing a games volume. The buzzing (almost like a vibration) stops if i minimize a game or exit a game. So this is a whole other issue i guess.

Originally posted by bprat22

If the headphones work good in the front headphone jack, the speakers should also.  Did you ever try the speakers plugged into the front headphone jack like was suggested?    They will work there, also, not just for headphones. 

Headphones produce a static interference noise (much like the speakers) if i plug them into the back.

I'd love to just plug my speakers into the front since it seems that would work, but the computer won't allow me for whatever reason. I went up to Best Buy and bought a new UPS box/surge protector after work today thinking that maybe an old surge protector i was using was the issue. Rehooked everything from the speakers to the system, and the problem is still there.

Edit:
Somewhat of a breakthrough it feels at this point.. (lol).
I was still toying around with it, and found that if i turn my volume knob on the physical speaker near all the way down, but the actual volume slider on the computer way up to an audible level, i can't hear the static hardly at all through the speakers, although now - i can hear a humming/light vibration (sounds like what you would imagine a small bit of electricity sounding like, persistent) coming from INSIDE of the computer. I can deal with this until the soundcard gets here if someone can assure me that this is not damaging the system? Thanks to anyone who is still following my thread to help out! What a journey it is to get this new computer working right, lol.

Double Edit:
I've opened the case and managed to identify where this hardware(rather then speaker interference noise is coming from) buzz is coming from when in a game - the GPU. It's the 970 that came with the system. Should i be concerned and inquire about a replacement card, or is this common? Before this, all i had was a GTX 550 ti, which was far less powerful obviously, but didn't have this buzzing.

Edited by ghosthunter - 28 Apr 2015 at 3:28pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 6:02pm

If you are up for it, try this --

Download the graphics driver from my link:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/83079

Once you have this, open control panel and select "programs and features". Uninstall anything 'Nvidia'. Then on whichever drive it is installed on - C or E - delete the Nvidia folder ( C:\Nvidia or E:\Nvidia). On the same drive go to "Program Files (X86)" and delete the Nvidia folder there......

Restart the computer (windows might try to install a driver) - let it finish booting up then install the graphics driver you just downloaded using a clean install - only this time install ONLY the graphics driver and PhysX === DO NOT install Miracast, 3D drivers, experience etc.

reboot and give that a try.

Edited by Pacesetter - 29 Apr 2015 at 6:29am
Vanquish II Ultimate.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 2:36am
The buzzing is either the coil whine mentioned or the 970 cooling fan spinning up.   Depends what 970 you have. No way to tell from my perspective but it should be replaced if its as loud as you descibe.

Is the video card buzzing noise also the same noise on the speakers?

Edited by bprat22 - 29 Apr 2015 at 2:37am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 6:23am
[QUOTE=bprat22] The buzzing is either the coil whine mentioned or the 970 cooling fan spinning up.   Depends what 970 you have. No way to tell from my perspective but it should be replaced if its as loud as you descibe. QUOTE]

Actually, I'm in agreement but going about it from a physics standpoint as to whether the cause is amplitude (P/S), frequency (video card ) or capacitance modulation (motherboard).

It's Ok normally but show up though the speakers depending on what is happening on the machine - majorly in games.

Normally the card is loading up the CPU and is controlled by it. When load is put on the graphics card and the GPU controls video the noise goes through speakers, but is inside on the graphics card otherwise (coil whine).

By deleting everything Nvidia (HD audio, 3D drivers and controllers, Miracast, Experience, logs and temp files) then 0nly installing the video driver and PhysX you can effectively lower the load on the GPU and card by about 30-40%. If it is the card itself the frequency and pitch through the speakers should change.

If it is motherboard, P/S or something else this really won't affect it.

So if it does change and the new soundcard doesn't fix it, the next logical step would be to replace the GTX970 as you stated. If the soundcard fixes the speaker part and the video card is still that loud, the problem lies in the video card. If the soundcard doesn't fix anything the problem is in the video card or motherboard. (most likely the video card).

Edited by Pacesetter - 29 Apr 2015 at 6:28am
Vanquish II Ultimate.
 Post Reply Post Reply