FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keep My Computer Running Like New

Post Date: 2016-04-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
StateAlchemist View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote StateAlchemist Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Keep My Computer Running Like New
    Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 9:06am
Greetings!

I have always had the same problem with computers. No matter how well they run at first, they always seem to bog down to a ridiculous crawl within a year or so. The exception was my MacBook Pro, which got to this point after four years. So, apart from the Macbook, I haven't really ever owned a computer that cost over $1,000. But I recently ordered a Level 4 Banshee from Digital Storm. I really want to keep this computer running like new for as long as possible. And perhaps, all those other computers bogged down because they weren't top-of-the-line machines, but I want to ask what can I do to ensure my Banshee's performance doesn't slow down over time?

I will say that I am a noob when it comes to hardware-talk. So, please keep that in mind. Thank you!
" I'll do everything humanly possible to protect the people I love, and in turn they'll protect the ones they love. It seems like the least we tiny humans can do for each other." - Col. Mustang
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 10:07am
The biggest favor you can do your laptop is to keep it dust free.  Every so often, get some canned air and blow out the fans and heat-sinks for the cpu and video card.  Remove the bottom panels for better access to the parts.  Unplugged and battery dropped out of it, of course.

Also, download and run Malwarebytes and CCleaner.    They'll clean it of files that clog up the system and check for malware, etc.  

Use HWmonitor to check your cpu cores and gpu temps on a regular basis while its under load.  Temps below the low 80's C is good

Hope this keeps it performing for some time.  Big%20Smile
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 1:57pm
CCleaner is great, but only use the "cleaner" portion of the program.  steer clear of the registry checker.  if you mess with that, you can brick your system.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 2:24pm
Excellent point, db.   I have used it also for driver cleaning, but registry cleaners are a big chance.   Select registry tweaks, yes, cleaners, no.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by StateAlchemist

Greetings!

I have always had the same problem with computers. No matter how well they run at first, they always seem to bog down to a ridiculous crawl within a year or so. The exception was my MacBook Pro, which got to this point after four years. So, apart from the Macbook, I haven't really ever owned a computer that cost over $1,000. But I recently ordered a Level 4 Banshee from Digital Storm. I really want to keep this computer running like new for as long as possible. And perhaps, all those other computers bogged down because they weren't top-of-the-line machines, but I want to ask what can I do to ensure my Banshee's performance doesn't slow down over time?

I will say that I am a noob when it comes to hardware-talk. So, please keep that in mind. Thank you!

It depends on how much you want to be inconvenienced, how you use your system, web browsing behavior, etc.

The way that I accomplish this is I set my computer up similar to the way colleges/universities have theirs set up. I use system restore software that prevents changes to the master boot file. Basically, no changes can be made to the system while the software is activated. This type of software comes in different flavors, each of which have their own pros & cons.

The particular one that I use by Faronics(non-enterprise edition) is a slight pain in the ass since I have it installed on a laptop. So I have to turn off all automatic updates(except for AV software) to keep the system from downloading & installing all updates every time I restart the laptop. 1-3 times a month I disable the software and update everything.

Another disadvantage is when gaming, the software will need to be disabled, otherwise nothing will be saved. There are other system restore programs out there that allow you to selectively enable programs to make changes to the system, drives, etc., and avoid this issue. Faronics's enterprise version allows you to do this and actually schedule updates for your various software, however the price tag is much higher, geared more towards networks, and not really a viable option for a single system.

Despite the inconvenience, I use Faronics Deep Freeze because it was simple to install & set up, and prevents my system from being cluttered up or trashed by malware/adware/viruses. The only thing it will not protect against are rootkits and user stupidity. With that being said, there are much better system restore programs out there that give users much more flexibility and control. You just have to check around and see which one better suits your needs.

Edited by Acetylide - 07 Jun 2016 at 2:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply