FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping a new machine pristine

Post Date: 2015-07-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ewaccess View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ewaccess Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Keeping a new machine pristine
    Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 3:36pm
I'm new to the community, and I have a problem. I have no impulse control when it comes to Metal Gear Solid.

In 1998, I bought a PlayStation and the first game. In 2001, I bought a PlayStation 2 and the second game. In 2008 I bought a PlayStation 3 and MGS4. On Friday I continued the tradition, and bought new hardware to play The Phantom Pain... only I chose a Vanquish 3 Level 4 instead of a PS4. I'm beyond psyched. Despite being a lifelong gamer, this is my first gaming PC.

My machine will ship this week - would you mind walking me through the initial setup process? I'd like to stay on Windows 8.1 for awhile, although I will upgrade to Windows 10 within the first year. After installing Windows, what software and utilities should I install? Are there any routines I should schedule to keep the new Vanquish running as smooth as the day I got it?

Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 2:44am
Hi ewaccess.....Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new Vanquish lvl 4.    

There's really no setup needed.   Just unpack it, remove the foam protection inside the left cover and plug it in. Plug in your keyboard and mouse and connect your monitor to the graphics card. The graphics card connections are below the rear fan and might have plastic protection caps that need to be popped off.   A common mistake is hooking the monitor to the motherboard video ports near the usb/audio ports next to the fan.    Hook to video card.

WIndows is already installed.     Windows will pop up with some updates at some point.

After installing internet, games, etc. and playing with it awhile, download the free CCleaner and Malwarebytes and run them weekly to clean up old files and scrub malware, etc. that might effect performance.

Keep an eye on dust buildup and get some canned air to blow out the dust.

Enjoy.

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 4:43am
While canned cair is probably good, i recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW even though its got the word Vacuum in the name its not. Its an Electric Duster
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 5:41am
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

While canned cair is probably good, i recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW even though its got the word Vacuum in the name its not. Its an Electric Duster

Yup ... she sold me on one and it paid for itself in less than a month.   
ewaccess View Drop Down

Quote ewaccess Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 8:59am
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi ewaccess.....Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new Vanquish lvl 4.    
onnect your monitor to the graphics card. The graphics card connections are below the rear fan and might have plastic protection caps that need to be popped off.   A common mistake is hooking the monitor to the motherboard video ports near the usb/audio ports next to the fan.    Hook to video card.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Although it seems obvious in retrospect (and after doing some research on it), I would not have considered that. A 980 would be a terrible thing to waste.

I've got canned air handy, but I'll look at alternatives.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 9:23am
Originally posted by ewaccess

A 980 would be a terrible thing to waste.

Hahaha    For sure. Big%20Smile

My pleasure.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:45am
Hi ewaccess,

Make sure that when you use can air or any thing that blows, that you also use a vacuum at the same time. You want to catch any thing you blow loose rather than having it settle down on other components. Just hold in the general area you are blowing and it will suck up any dust.

Frank
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:00am
two threads that you may find helpful...

http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/how-do-i-open-and-clean-my-vanquish-lvl-4-tidf24355/

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/removing-dust-from-the-mesh-filter-on-vanquish-tidf22849/

Physical cleaning is so very important in my Corsair 230T because of all the open mesh and the animals around... it's a dust and hair magnet even 3 feet off the floor. That's why ArkansasWoman777's electric duster vac was such a grand idea in my case. It's used every other week to clean.
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

Ditto. Bought one of these also thanks to AK!

And WELCOME
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Post Reply Post Reply