FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping crap off of the C: drive

Post Date: 2016-06-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Teufelhunde View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Teufelhunde Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Keeping crap off of the C: drive
    Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:34pm
OK, I bought a new DS computer in February and love it. It came with windows 10 preloaded on a 128G C: SSDD with a 1 TB D: drive. Four days ago, it started to REALLY slow down, becoming unusable. What I found was that the C: drive was FULL. I was unable to free up any useable amount of space. I have refreshed, erasing everything and starting over. I contacted the Microsoft support folks on their chat line and they were of absolutely NO HELP. My question is, how do I force my pc to install and store things on the D: drive, reserving the C: drive for the operating system only? There HAS to be a way........
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:21pm
Yes there is. in your browser set your download folder to a folder on your D drive.

other then that you need to be aware of what you are downloading and where it is going.

personally all my downloads come to my desktop first so I can inspect them / install them, then I have a shortcut on my desktop to my download folder on D. once I'm done garbing /installing the downloaded file, I drag and drop it to the shortcut on my desktop to my download folder on D which just copies it there. once done I trash the original on my desktop.

If you are downloading something for your game and etc then that has to go where the game is for best results.

so its pretty much drag and drop on to the shortcut followed by drag and drop to the bin.

there is a way to have the os think D drive is the download folder but I don't like doing that as it can cause problems down the line.

What kind of downloads are you talking about?

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Jun 2016 at 9:22pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:09pm
Hi Teufelhunde,

You can set storage options in Win-10. Select Settings Icon. Select "System". Select "Storage". You can set where things are stored in Storage.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 27 Jun 2016 at 10:12pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 11:26pm
Does that overwrite where browsers like firefox download files to and etc?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 12:42am
Hi DST4ME,

This sets default storage locations for windows 10. I imagine that if a browser specified a particular drive in the address that it would save to that address. I know that after setting a USB drive as a default for .doc files Word saves them to the USB drive.

Frank
Teufelhunde View Drop Down

Quote Teufelhunde Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:13am
Thanks for the suggestions. Will give them a shot and hope it helps keep it clean....
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:25am
Every time I store anything on the machine I check to see where it's going... Letting things blindly download is not my way.

When you get the "Download to *****" screen on most programs, it's very simple to hit the "Browse" key in the dialogue box and change the C: to D: (Or whatever your drives are.)

2.5 years since getting my 120GB SSD. It's got the OS and a few other things on it, but still only 35% full.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Every time I store anything on the machine I check to see where it's going... Letting things blindly download is not my way.

When you get the "Download to *****" screen on most programs, it's very simple to hit the "Browse" key in the dialogue box and change the C: to D: (Or whatever your drives are.)

2.5 years since getting my 120GB SSD. It's got the OS and a few other things on it, but still only 35% full.

I like to second that and also my 120GB ssd from 2010 is still below 70% full.

@Teufelhunde no matter what still check and make sure where your downloads are going from all places not sure if this will change for example if you use firefox for browser where it would download files.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Jun 2016 at 2:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply