Let's talk Velox!

Post Date: 2016-08-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Richieboy67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Let's talk Velox!
    Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 2:03pm
Hey guys,

I got my Velox a few days ago and I am loving it so far! I am looking to a little more upgrading though and I wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

#1 - The Velox is really ideal for water cooling because it has the giant grill on top meant for a radiator. because I am air cooled I was wondering what you guys thought about adding more fans or even sealing up this opening.

I really want to get temps down a bit if possible. I am idling around 35 to 40 and would like to be around 30.

#2 - My gtx 1080 is sitting right next to the Noctua cpu cooler and just about touching it. I was thinking of moving the video card over to the next slot. Should I do this?

lastly I am debating adding a little more ram. I have 16gb right now and I have 4 more channels open so adding another 16gb would not be a big deal. This rig is really insanely powerful but I have run into occasions when some extra memory would help when mutli tasking and processing video and graphics at the same time. Another 16gm would not hurt though to install ram I have to pull out the cooler again, clean the thermal compound and then reapply, reinstall, etc.. Kind of a pain but what do you guys think?

I have the DS ram right now. Should i purchase 16 gb from ds or get something else as long as it matches? Would it matter?

I cannot think of anything else now..lol

BTW - This thing is amazing and GSync kicks a$$!

I am open to any other ideas to increase cooling efficiency, etc.. case tweaks, what ever. Maybe more giant fans on top!

Edited by Richieboy67 - 23 Aug 2016 at 2:04pm
Velox
I7 6800
A99A11
GTX 1080 Evga SC
X34 Predator
Evga 750 Super Nova Modular
16GB DDR4 2666MHz DS Certified Performance Series
Noctua NH-D15
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 2:23pm
Post some photo of your setup!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 2:25pm
1. never close up your case, add fans to the top for better airflow. Personally I would add a fan anywhere that fits one. If noise is an issue get quiet fans. the more the airflow the better the temps. I normally recommend the extra fans for the velox did I not do that with you?

forget idle temps, they don't matter, only temps that matter are max temps under load, if they are below 80c you are good. Below 80c your cpu is gonna outlast your pc.

2. I would not move the gpu unless your temps are above 80c. However if you do move it make sure you move it to a correct pci-e 3.0 x16 lane, which in this case looks to be your lane 4 and 6:

If you see you need more ram then go ahead and add it, match the ram you have.

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Aug 2016 at 2:33pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 3:35pm
Thanks brother!

I agree about closing up the case but most cases are meant to have some type of a directional airflow. The top of my case being wide open kind of limits this.

As for the top fans I know usually I would probably use the top as exhaust because hot air rises but in this case i think I would pull fresh air in from the top because the graphics card fans are right there blowing into the card.

Yes max temps are above 80 and have been going up to around 87 when doing heavy cpu intensive tasks.

I know idle temps may not really impact performance or longevity but if i get those down I believe max temps will also lower. :)

Velox
I7 6800
A99A11
GTX 1080 Evga SC
X34 Predator
Noctua NH-D15
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 3:47pm
That is the thing while sometimes lower idle would represent lower max, that is not always true. Your max temps are high.

you have 3 fans in the front blowing air in, you need fans on top to suck air out and then you will get a nice smooth airflow.

If you close the top that will stop the hot air from rising as you mentioned and then that air will become trapped in your case and it will take it longer to get out.

Your oc is saved in your bios in a profile, but go back there and save it to a profile yourself, then set bios to default to remove the oc and reboot and see what max temps are without oc. That way we can get a better idea of how much of the difference is the oc and how much is your ambient temps.

Edited by DST4ME - 23 Aug 2016 at 3:48pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 4:40pm
Thanks buddy,

Do you think moving my video card over and adding more fans on top will bring my max temps down?

BTW - I am still using the same oc settings DS set though I changed the fan speeds to be more aggressive.
Velox
I7 6800
A99A11
GTX 1080 Evga SC
X34 Predator
Noctua NH-D15
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 5:06pm
OK good fans on high for now at least till we figure out the rest.

Moving the gpu may or may not change your gpu's temps, if they are under normal temps then I would not move them.

but moving it for a quick test should also be easy, so why don't you just move it over and see if there is a big difference in temps.

I would add the fans and see what happens, but case fans will not make a big difference in your cpu temps unless for some reason the air in your case in not moving properly.

In short your cpu temp is mainly decided by the cpu cooler and the oc in your situation and not the case fans.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 7:18pm
Thanks guys!

I haven't had a chance to move the video card but I'm placing on doing it tomorrow. I'll be buying more fans soon as well.

I'll be posting pics and a review soon!! So far so good! Just a little too hot is all but not really too much of a factor yet.

Velox
I7 6800
A99A11
GTX 1080 Evga SC
X34 Predator
Noctua NH-D15
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 1:56pm
Sorry I haven't posted pictures or a review yet. I have been so busy. I just wanted to post some updates on this issue.

I tried to move the video card but due to the connections to the mother board I was unable to. The connections go straight up instead of at an angle so there just isn't room for the 1080 in that slot.

I ended up putting my cpu back to default clock until I have time to tweak it more. The temps were just getting way too high even when doing things like processing video and even playing some games. The 1080 has a decent over clock now though and the system runs like a beast.

The only other issue I had was that one of my raid drives kept rebuilding itself. I am not sure exactly what the issue was but I rebuilt the drive after making sure all the connections were tight and it has been good since.

As I said I will post a longer review with pictures with in the next couple weeks but I will say that DS and Alex took care of me very well so far and I am very happy. I am still a bit disappointed I could not brag to my friends with a DS Tshirt!
DS really should give those out free because it is free marketing for the life of the shirt! I give them out all the time for some of my websites! Besides the shirt I am happy though.

I will need some help from you guys overclocking though I think 4.1 is just too hot for this particular cpu. Hopefully you guys will walk me through!

BTW - I bought am awesome keyboard, Corsair K70 Lux and it is amazing. I will post the link when I have time. Now I just need a new mouse and I will be good to go!

Thanks for your help! :)
Velox
I7 6800
A99A11
GTX 1080 Evga SC
X34 Predator
Noctua NH-D15
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 11:18am
Call DS they will help you lower or your oc, its much easier/faster on the phone. I would lower my vcore a bit first and see if its stable if so that could put you under 80c which is the safe zone.
 Post Reply Post Reply