FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Linux question...

Post Date: 2014-03-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Oxon View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Oxon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Linux question...
    Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 11:44am
I decided to give Linux a try just for fun, while keeping Windows 7 as my main OS.  I have hot swappable hard drive bays in my case, so it was pretty easy to install Linux to an extra drive, and then swap it back and forth with my Windows 7 boot drive.

This has worked out well, and I've actually been able to do some native Linux gaming.  I don't think I'll ever fully "convert" over to Linux only, but its nice to have the option [kind of like an instant personality change for your PC].  And swapping out the boot drive is a nice, clean way to accomplish it.

I tried a few different Linux distros before deciding on a Debian based version for my "permanent" install.  With all of the others, I experienced some annoying issues and/or frustrations of one kind or another.  From what I understand Debian is old, but very stable...  And don't get me wrong:  I did have to "jump through some hoops" just to get Valve's Steam client installed in the Debian based distro.  But at least everything works without error.

That brings me to my question:  at first I did have some trouble getting sound to work in some games.  Then I found a solution online:  enter the command "modprobe snd_pcm_oss" as root in the terminal.  That did indeed fix it, but its not a permanent fix.  After a reboot, I need to re-enter that command before playing certain games, or no sound.  So my question is:  is there a way to make that "stick" so that I don't need to re-enter it?

Although the command wasn't explained, my understanding is that it is related to OSS emulation and/or multiple sound output devices.  I have and use a discrete X-fi Titanium HD sound card with headphones attached to it as my main output device.  I do know that the HDMI outputs on my video cards are also recognized as sound output devices.  And I do have onboard sound on my motherboard, but I have disabled that in the BIOS.

I know:  long, detailed question on an esoteric subject.  I might be better off posting this in a Linux forum.  But I figured I'd try posting here.

Thanks for any info!
Socks223 View Drop Down

Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 2:16pm
Unfortunately, I have no useful information for you.  But I hope this thread develops because I'm interested in Linux and was wondering how to game with it (all the games just advertise MS versions they're compatible with).

Is it really true that no software can ever be installed on a Linux system without the owner's prior consent?  I like that.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 5:12pm
Same here, wish I knew! Perhaps some other forum members can chime in.
Oxon View Drop Down

Quote Oxon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 5:14pm
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I believe it would at least be very difficult for anything to be installed on a Linux system without the user's consent.  Keep in mind, I'm pretty much a Linux novice / noob, so take anything I say with a grain of salt...  But first of all, any installation needs to be authenticated by typing in the root password.  Second, all installations are handled through a "package manager" for the particular distribution you are using.  That package manager is accessed through the command line interface, or some have a graphical front-end.  But in either case, it will mostly be downloading software from a repository for your distribution, etc.  So as far as I know, it would be very difficult for a "drive-by, stealth" installation to occur in Linux.

As for Linux gaming, it is doable to an extent.  There still aren't too many game titles that are native to (or ported) to Linux.  I already owned Serious Sam: BFE and Doom 3, which both have Linux versions, so it was relatively easy to get those installed.  Serious Sam is through Steam, and once you have the Steam client installed, it handles the download and install of the game, just like in Windows.  I have the (Windows) retail CDs for Doom 3, so I had to look up how to get that installed on Linux.  Both those games are quite playable on Ultra settings in Linux for me, but they are not as smooth as in Windows.  I think part of that is due to the video drivers.  I did get the proprietary nVidia drivers installed [which also takes a bit of work], instead of the open source driver, but I'm not sure if it is as optimized as the nVidia driver for Windows.  I also don't believe I have SLI enabled in Linux.  I tried, but I don't think it is actually working.  But from what I've read, SLI is supported in LInux.

BTW, I think most gaming on Linux is through Wine, an open source Windows emulator, which I haven't even tried yet.  But from what I understand, its not a 100% thing, and even when it works well, I don't think you get near the performance you'd see natively in Windows.  I'm also not sure if DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 games are supported through Wine yet or not...  So realistically, I'm not sure if a serious gamer would be happy with Linux as their exclusive gaming platform.

If you are interested in experimenting with Linux, one easy, low-risk, low-cost way to do it is by burning a Live CD / DVD of a distro and booting from that.  A lot of the distros now provide Live ISO files for download, making it easy to "test drive" before you install.  And I believe there are even a few gaming oriented distributions that may come with some game trials installed so that you could even check out gaming performance off the Live CD / DVD to some extent.

I think it is also very possible to create a dual boot system with a Windows partition and a Linux partition.  But I prefer to keep it "cleaner" by just having them on separate hard drives.  Assuming most people already have a hard drive with Windows installed, there's always some risk that re-partitioning and installing Linux will partially destroy Windows.  I didn't want to deal with that, even if it is unlikely.

In any case, if you do give Linux a try, it is worth remembering that in any flavor, it is more of a command line oriented OS than Windows.  As a matter of fact, I gave up on one distro I tried because apparently the only way to change the time on the clock was through entering a command in the terminal!  To me, that isn't the most efficient way to set the time.  I don't think that's the case in most Linux distros.  But just be aware that each one may have their quirks, and some tasks that are easy in Windows, may seem like a major mission in Linux.  So approach Linux with some patience ;-)  Like I said, I have no intention of switching to Linux full-time.  It's just nice to have the option to play around with it.

Edited by Oxon - 29 Mar 2014 at 5:20pm
Socks223 View Drop Down

Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 6:29pm
Thanks.  It doesn't sound as if it's for me -- I like messing with my computer as little as possible.  But I appreciate all the info.  Your last name isn't "Iensis" perhance?
Oxon View Drop Down

Quote Oxon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 12:49am
Yea, I'd have to say Linux is definitely for people who like messing with their computers.  Some of the flavors of Ubuntu are geared toward beginners, etc., but I think they still require that you have some desire to get into the "nuts and bolts" of the OS and use the command line to some extent...  I like that stuff enough to enjoy experimenting with it, but its not for everybody.  And like I said before, I still don't see hard core gamers being happy with a Linux only platform.

Lensis, no, should it be?  :-)
Socks223 View Drop Down

Quote Socks223 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 6:25pm
Oh, well then I don't think Linux is for me. Iensis is the end of Oxoniensis, meaning from Oxford, as in University.  My tangled sense of humor, I guess.  Thanks again for the short course on Linux and sorry I wasn't more help.
Oxon View Drop Down

Quote Oxon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 7:55pm
No, you are very perceptive.  My father was an Oxford University Professor, now retired.  I adopted Oxon as my screen name / identity because Oxon used to be part of the postal code for Oxford.  I don't think anyone else has picked up on that.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 2:24pm
Lucky for you, I work with Linux on a daily basis for both work and pleasure. I deal with CentOS for all my server needs for many of my clients along with VM's on my CentOS. I also use Fedora, amongst other distro's for personal use.

The fact to your original post (which is the only post I read this entire thread... so sorry if it's been addressed) with the sound issue. While Linux is becoming more and more main stream today, with many developers giving more attention to linux, it's still lacking in many area's. To my knowledge unless you can linux specific drivers for your sound card, along with a game that holds native linux support, you will have to your mod commands to adjust your sound output. It's just how the emulation software works.

On that note, be careful with your emulation software. Don't push to hard or expect too much. While Windows emulation has been around for a very long time with linux (Ever since the Red Hat days), the fact is, you still have no native driver support. It doesn't save settings the same way you'd normally save them. These are just the hassles of linux.

Linux offers many great opportunities for you though. It's very light weight and is extremely capable of so many different things. And with companies like steam running on Linux based OS's (SteamOS), you can look forward to a lot more native linux support in the gaming world. Which will be great due to kernal and the way linux works in general. It has the potential to offer much better gaming performance than Windows.

Now what distro are you currently using? And all are you trying to get done with Linux, or is this purely an exploratory adventure into linux just to see what it's like and how it operates? Linux, even with it's extremely evolved desktop GUI's is still very much a command line driven OS. They are trying very hard to make it more and more user friendly for our windows/mac users... but if you can learn your way around command line, then you can truly see what Linux is capable of doing.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Oxon View Drop Down

Quote Oxon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:31am
Thanks for your reply!

Yes, this is really just an exploratory adventure with Linux to see what its all about.  I like the power of the command line as well as the inherent security of Linux.  I'm also impressed with the responsiveness of most of these distributions.  I have a powerful machine [not quite as powerful as yours!], so Windows 7 runs very well.  However, some of the Linux distros are still noticeably more responsive.  Just the fact that one really doesn't need an anti-virus provides a performance boost...  Nonetheless, I am enough of a gamer to want Windows as my primary OS.

I tried Zorin, Pinguy, Sabayon, Manjaro, and Scientific Linux before ending up with an installation of Kali Linux.  That is a Debian based distribution dedicated to penetration testing / hacking.  I am by no means a hacker, nor do I really aspire to be one.  Somewhat ironically, everything just worked best "out of the box" on Kali Linux for me.  So that's what I currently have installed.  I just don't use any of the pre-installed hacking applications.

I did have to "jump through some hoops" just to get the proprietary nVidia drivers installed and Valve's Steam client.  But there are instructions one can find for these things online...  If I were retired with lots of extra time on my hands, I'd like to really learn Linux ground-up.  As it is, I'm enjoying dabbling in it, but even outside of gaming there are still a lot of tasks that would take me much more time and effort on Linux.  And that's not a bash against it per se.  I believe that's largely because I'm not familiar with all of the apps available for Linux and I don't know my way around the command line all that well yet.

I am generally impressed with Linux, and I'm glad it exists.
chanpulu View Drop Down

Quote chanpulu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 5:53pm
Oxon, I never noticed an answer to your original question (did I miss it).  It is very simple to configure linux to automatically load modules on boot (after you've ensured they work).  On most distributions, you can simply add the module name to the end of your /etc/modules configuration file.  Or even simply:
   sudo echo module-name >> /etc/modules
Since I'm looking at the Linux compatability issues in anticipation of buying a new laptop... have you found DigitalStorm laptops to be hardware compatible with Linux, and which distributions.  I am a full-time Linux user on all workstations and laptops and if I need to run anything else (usually to answer someone's question) I run the other OS in a virtual machine.
 Post Reply Post Reply