Post Date: 2014-08-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prime624 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Prime624 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Linux
    Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 10:54pm
Has anyone tried running Linux (specifically Ubuntu) on a DS laptop? Are there any specific reasons why this wouldn't work?
Theokritos View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 7:18am
Hello Prime624. Welcome to the forums.

I do not own a DS laptop, but I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, openSUSE 13.1, Fedora 20, CentOS 7, Debian 7, and SteamOS 1.0 on a DS Slade level 3, setup in a multi-boot configuration with openSUSE's GRUB 2 bootloader as the primary bootloader.

Please keep in mind that Digital Storm's business model is based upon building and supporting great gaming PCs for the Windows OS so there is little to no official support available for Linux, BSD or other non-Windows operating systems.

That said, much of the equipment used to build DS machines works great with Linux. Unfortunately, it is up to the individual to check each piece of hardware and verify the level of Linux support from the OEM vendor.

I went through that process on my Slade and had DS custom order an ASRock Extreme9 motherboard after discovering that ASRock provided better Linux support than the preferred mobo vendor.

If no one steps forward with Ubuntu and DS Laptop experience, I'm happy to help with researching hardware component compatibility.
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Prime624 View Drop Down

Quote Prime624 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 8:48am
Thanks for the info! I can get a laptop from System 76 with the exact same components (exact model numbers of everything, and same size, and both use Clevo). It's obviously Linux compatible (Ubuntu preinstalled). Does that mean that the DS version will also be Linux compatible? The DS version is $200 cheaper, so is much prefer to buy from them.

Edited by Prime624 - 13 Aug 2014 at 8:49am

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 9:14am
Which models are you comparing? Are you looking at pre-built off the shelf machines or are you configuring laptops from both vendors with similar or identical components?
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Prime624 View Drop Down

Quote Prime624 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 10:07am
Here are images of the configs:
DS Krypton
Sys76 Bonobo

Edited by Prime624 - 13 Aug 2014 at 10:11am

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 9:40am
Short answer: The DS notebook should run Ubuntu as well as the other notebook that you are looking at.

There are a few cautions that we should review and discuss before you purchase any Linux system, especially if you are new to Linux.

Before I add a wall or two of text, please share some of your experience with Linux or other Unix like operating systems in general and Ubuntu in particular.

Are you aware of the common habit of Linux distributions using a generic open source driver, Nouveau, instead of NVIDIA's proprietary binary drivers?

Do you have any experience replacing the Nouveau driver with the NVIDIA binary drivers?

Are you familiar with issues with the NVIDIA Linux binary drivers and notebooks with Optimus technology?

Edited by Theokritos - 17 Aug 2014 at 9:44am
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Prime624 View Drop Down

Quote Prime624 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 4:36pm
I currently use Ubuntu on my Somy VAIO. I've been using it for about two years now. I'm pretty good with computers. I've never had any serious issue with it, but I'm sure I'd be able to troubleshoot any problem that comes up; as long as there is a known solution.

As far as video drivers go, I used the open source driver for a few months on my VAIO, but I now use the nvidia proprietary driver as it works much faster.

My main fear was of buying a $2000 laptop and then finding out that it won't run Linux period. I'm used to fixing computer issues. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Prime624 - 17 Aug 2014 at 4:58pm
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 7:31am
Ubuntu is pretty user friendly. In fact it's basically the Windows of the Linux world. Odds are... 99% you'll have 0 drive issues at all. In fact, out of all of the systems that I've installed different versions of Ubuntu on, I've never had issues. So a nice new system like that... yea it'll be fine.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply